Lever guns for coyotes?

Dave, depending on caliber a model 88 winchester is a good choice. It was a 308 and my first deer hunting rifle. It was very accurate, but had terrible trigger creep. A savage 99 would also be a good choice. I know a guy who shoots a browning BLR in 223 and loves it. I shoot a winchester model 92 clone for cowboy action shooting and it has great feel and balance. You can throw a lot of lead with it very fast, but you are really limiting your distance. I grew up deer hunting with levers, but converted to bolts when I started getting serious about elk when I went to college. I think it would be a blast shooting my 92 in 45 colt for coyotes. The last two I have shot were at 9 and 10 yards respectively and would have run over me if I hadn't shot them. I hunt very open country and usually if a coyote is within 150 yards I take it, but for some reason this year I haven't shot a coyote over 150 yards and 7 out of the last 9 have been under 55 yards. In both cases on my last two they came over little ridges at about75 yards and I woofed and couldn't get them to stop and because of the lay of the land I could just see their backs until they were right on top of me. Makes it exciting, but not what I prefer. Good luck as it will be a fun process and is a great idea. After I posted I saw Chris Bice's note. I have the 92 he is talking about and it is fast and balanced. I would go with the B92 with aperture sights and not look back.

Last edited:
The 99 is a very solid piece of firearm history.

The action was and is a true pioneer in the indistry & was the first rifle to ever produce 3000 fps.

It earned it's place in the books.

Sadly, there will be no more 99's. The original tools that made 99's were frankly worn out from producing rifles for over 100 years.....The latest rifles produced were so bad on tolerance from being made with the old tools that extensive hand fitting had to be used to make the rifles fit well & work...That meant that the labor costs to produce a 99 would not fit with what the rifles would retail for in the consumer market.

I have a 99DL in .243 Win. that was made in 1962. The rifle was in a closet for decades before I bought it, & is still 95%.

I grew up shooting deer with my granddads' Savage 99 & will keep using mine for special occassions where I walk & carry a rifle for bigger game. It's as accurate as I am, and has accounted for lots of game.

RockinbbarBuck.jpg

I enjoy the nostalgia of a 99 every time I pick one up.

Barry

Another booster for the 99 Savage!!!

My first cost me 40 bucks ..... yes, 40!

It was a takedown in 250-3000 .... I sold it ..... had headspace issues. ..... still kicking myself.

One day I was talking to a horseshoer ..... and said well ... what I am really looking for is a "99" in .243 ..

He says his wife has hers for sale.

Next trip out he brings it .......

I take it to my lead bank ....... it shoots like sin and the trigger is good ..... she's asking 225 with a old 4X weaver scope on it .....

He goes home with 225 and I keep the rifle!

If you handload .... you can load it down ........

Now, I like the 760 Remys really well ...... Dad and I own/ .... have owned them ..... I had real nice 760 in 6mm Rem stolen ......

..... but there is one problem with them ...... the rattle in the slide .......

The 99 does not rattle .... and is trimmer to carry on a horse .......

Marlins:

I really like the 1894 Marlin .... mine in .357 would be BETTER in .44 mag .....

Somebody mentioned 200 yds .......

I DONT think so ....... 125 is really stretching it for yodel dogs ........

...... I know ... I have been there ......

In a .243 ........ it's just getting warm at 200!!!

Three 44s

ok here is another more traditional idea, it looks like you want something that can make a fast off hand shot, of all the guns in my safe, this is the gun I would grab first,

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=15

low comb stock, has open sites, the front site hood is removed on mine, set trigger that brakes at 12 oz, or 3#'s 18.5" barrel very light weight, less noise you can opt for the 7.62x39 version and plink with cheap commie ammo, or get the 223 and load it to hornet speeds, I have some low noise loads I run in my 223, a few grains of blue dot and I can load down to 22 mag speeds with less noise. you can mount any optic you want, or use the open sites, you can always play with mine if you want to see if you like one, last time I shot paper with mine I put 5 black hills 50 vmaxs into .6"

Back