Lets Take a Poll ... Yes or No

Can I change my answer to yes now?
wink.gif

How are you guys using a chrony during load development? Or are you just checking speeds for curiosity after your load is finalized?

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGHow are you guys using a chrony during load development? Or are you just checking speeds for curiosity after your load is finalized?

The second part was the way I used to do it
rolleyes.gif

Well, I've had way more participation with this poll than I could have ever imagined! If I'm counting correctly, I'm coming up with 76 saying Yah & 46 saying Nah. I really did think it would be closer than that. I might be a little hard headed at times, but it sure seems/sounds like most guys aren't really using them for developing their loads but rather to just verify the velocity of their already developed rounds! Am I right or wrong about this?

Yes, but am more concerned with pressure here in the southwest deserts. It can sneak up on you as the temp rises. always checking for pressure signs.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGHow are you guys using a chrony during load development? Or are you just checking speeds for curiosity after your load is finalized?

I use it to track my SD and extreme spread....generally those loads with the lowest on both are the most accurate load. It also allows me to compare my velocity to what the "max" velocity in the reloading manual is so I can approx. compare chamber pressures. Obviously it's not a direct correlation but more of a sanity check when building up loads....if the manual is saying that a max load of X powder is giving a 3100 fps velocity out of the same length barrel and I'm pushing 3500 then I know I better watch out and probably better back my loads down a hair.

So do you shoot your loads over a chrony into a dirt berm while looking for the lowest SD and extreme speed? And the load with the best numbers is then tested for accuracy?

Or do you test for accuracy, and the SD just gives you a little more info? And is that info actually usefull to anyone other than extreme shooters?

Back