Legal firearms for Predators in your state?

Originally Posted By: rookie7Hello -

I'm doing a little research.

So, I'm gathering information to take to my legislature to try and get the law changed to where we can use a centerfire rifle of .223 caliber or smaller - or really, whatever they will agree to.

If you don't mind, please post your state and the legal firearms you may use to take bobcat, fox, and coyote.

Thank you in advance.

You would be better off asking for any .22 cal bullet. That way 22-250s and other .22s would also be legal.

In Arkansas we can use any caliber rifle, shotgun up to T shot and any legal weapon during an open season, bow, muzzleloader, etc. Coyote can only be hunted during daytime and bobcats can be hunted day and night but you must use dogs at night. So our laws aren't too bad, we used to only be able to use rimfire or shotgun on some WMA's but since feral hogs have been spreading pretty rapidly they allow us any rifle caliber so we can kill the hogs more easily on the WMA's now too.

Here is what AZ allows for firearms on coyotes, bobcats,foxes.

Centerfire rifles (magazine limited to 5 rounds for semi auto centerfire rifles)
Centefire handguns
Muzzleloader rifle and pistol
Shotgun shooting shot or slugs (magazine limited to 5 rounds)
17 caliber magnum and 22 caliber rimfire
Handguns shooting shot

Here's what we have in Illinois for coyotes.Coyotes may be hunted on private property
using dogs, archery devices, any type
and caliber of handgun, any type of legal
rifle including large capacity semi-automatic
rifles, and shotguns using any type
of shell except for slugs (note... there are
exceptions for slugs during the firearm
deer seasons when coyote hunting is
closed except to deer hunters with unfilled
firearm deer permits in their possession).
When hunting with a shotgun,
make sure that the magazine has been fitted
with a plug which makes the shotgun
incapable of firing more than three consecutive
shots.

in PA- NO SHOT LARGER THAN NO. 4 BUCKSHOT, OR IMPLEMENTS THAT ARE NOT LAWFUL FIREARMS, bows, or crossbows. manually operated rifles or handguns of any caliber, manually or semi auto shotgunsand bows and crossbows. may use a gun mounted light that does not project a laser light beam. dogs are permitted to hunt furbearers. no semi auto rifles, but maybe they'll let us someday.

We can hunt at night with a light for yote, cat, and fox.

We CAN hunt yotes with electronic call, but can only hunt cats and fox with hand calls.

I called our department of natural resources and spoke with a veteran dnr officer. He said that he didn't really know of a reason why our regs limited us to rimifire for cat and fox. He stated that it was probably b/c it has always been.

Originally Posted By: Half crippleOriginally Posted By: rookie7Hello -

I'm doing a little research.

So, I'm gathering information to take to my legislature to try and get the law changed to where we can use a centerfire rifle of .223 caliber or smaller - or really, whatever they will agree to.

If you don't mind, please post your state and the legal firearms you may use to take bobcat, fox, and coyote.

Thank you in advance.

You would be better off asking for any .22 cal bullet. That way 22-250s and other .22s would also be legal.

Good point! That is a better approach, thank you.

In Ohio as far as I know anything that goes BOOM !
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rookie7We can hunt at night with a light for yote, cat, and fox.

We CAN hunt yotes with electronic call, but can only hunt cats and fox with hand calls.

I called our department of natural resources and spoke with a veteran dnr officer. He said that he didn't really know of a reason why our regs limited us to rimifire for cat and fox. He stated that it was probably b/c it has always been.

The only logical reason I can deduce it that since squirrels, opossums and raccoons are all lumped in together with bobcats and foxes as "small game" is that they don't want folks shooting centerfire rifles up into the air trying to take a coon, etc. out of a tree, which makes sense from a safety perspective. Perhaps the most sensible approach would be to try to remove bobcats and foxes from the designation of "small game".

Originally Posted By: bulldawg21981In Ohio as far as I know anything that goes BOOM !
thumbup.gif

Ditto here in Colorado!

Need a small game license for Yotes, unlimited quota and open year round!

Nebraska

We can shoot anything within limits no full auto's without a license. Deer has to be .22 cal or bigger with I think 1000 muz energy at 100 yards. No .223 for big game. As for yotes,bobcat,fox anything goes..We can now use crossbow as before it was limited to a (handicapped) of some sort, now anybody with a bow hunters safety course can use them...

GO HUSKERS !!!!!

Originally Posted By: jrcampbell no semi auto rifles, but maybe they'll let us someday.

If ever asked for public input, I'd vote a big NAY on that one for the following reasons:

1) hunter safety, (or should I say fellow hunter safety),

2) fighting chance for the intended target (you get a shot, maybe two - if you miss, the coyote gets to roam another day because he did not get Rambo'ed by an over-zealous trigger puller).

just my opinion.

I believe we can use any Rim-Fire Rifle or Center-Fire Rifle for Coyotes and other Predators...I know for a fact that during Deer Season most Coyotes don't have a chance because You can shoot them with just about any Center-fire Rifle from a .223,.243,7mm-08,22-250,.308,30-06,25-06.270,.270 WSM,300 Win Mag...the list goes on,a Coyotes in deep trouble. LOL

During Regular Coyote Season most Hunters are using Center-Fire .17 Fireball's,.22 Hornets,222,220 Swifts,.204 Rugers,.22-250,.243 Rim-fire .22 Magnums,17 HMR's and again the list goes on and on.

Furbearer Season is usually around the middle of Nov to the end of January and You have to have a Small-Game Hunting license or Trapping License.

gman we can use semi auto shotguns, not much of a diff., can still kill someone at a pretty good distance with no. 4 buck in a shotgun. i know lots of jagoffs who brag about unloading on deer( i don't hunt with them.) alot of people can run a bolt, pump, or lever purty durned fast, hear it all through hunting season. a 5 shot mag rule, or only 3 in the gun would be great. i think everybody should have to pass an adult hunter safety course when they turn 18, may help to weed out some morons.

also indiana does consider coyote as game animal and have no gun restrictions. can shoot them all year long on private land. and during season only on state land of course

Originally Posted By: Dead Down WindOriginally Posted By: bulldawg21981In Ohio as far as I know anything that goes BOOM !
thumbup.gif

Ditto here in Colorado!

Need a small game license for Yotes, unlimited quota and open year round!

Need a small game license also , but need a furtakers permit for fox and some other furbearing animals . But not needed for coyotes.

In Alabama any centerfire rifle, or shotgun 10 gauge or smaller for fox,coyote,hogs ,Longbows or compound slugs or round ball in deer season.

Back