LED Hunting Lights

Originally Posted By: docmabeeany idea which size I need? There are about a zillion options. thanks for your help. I'm an idiot!

For $16.00 I'd just buy a new light. Then measure that lens and order another. Now you got a spare.

Originally Posted By: docmabeeps....what do the glass optics do? Do they focus the beam?

Never thought about it other than keeping crap away from the bulb.

An aspheric lens will focus the beam.

Last edited:
apparently the word is out.

price increase

LOL
lol.gif

Last edited:
Well, I just pulled the trigger on two (2) of these....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300459609826?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The delivery date was between December 14 and 27, so we'll see how accurate that is. Shipping from Hong Kong as I couldn't find any of the US supplied warehouses with the unit in stock. This may or may not be the preferred model, but I'm just looking to replace a cheapy that I tossed in the trash the other day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stupidnewbieapparently the word is out.

price increase

LOL
lol.gif

The story I got is there were low on inventory. To slow down sales they increased the price until more stock arrives. They buy from same supplier in China only in bulk. Seems kind of foolish but perhaps the easist way around it with the way they advertise on Ebay.

Originally Posted By: mofiremanWell, I just pulled the trigger on two (2) of these....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300459609826?ssPageName=STRK

This may or may not be the preferred model,

This is the model you want, the difference is in the head.
0401011323.jpg

This has has a different head design,(that you bought) it has a lot of slop when you slide in back and forth.
0401111320.jpg

I have both and much prefer the first one although they both put out the same amount of light.

The problem is some ebay sellers advertise the first light in there item picture, but once you are in the item link the the poor head design is what's inside. You really have to look close at these items.

Here's an example. Once you're in ebay click on "back to search results" and the other headlamp is pictured.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18650-ZOOMABLE-Z...=item2309761ffa

Here's a good add....(at least from the pictures)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18650-ZOOMABLE-Z...=item45f9d887a5

Last edited:
I have bought about a half dozen of the $20 headlamps for myself and friends. The ones like the first photo that pmack posted seem to be the better quality light as far as fit and finish but the other model does focus the same and is just as bright.

I ordered one a couple of weeks ago from a US supplier that I had bought from before. He had the better model pictured but when I received it, it was more like the second one that pmack has pictured. The head fits nice and tight but with the light "OFF" the red LED on the back of the battery pack flashes constantly. Also, the mode switch is low, high and flash instead of high, low and flash.

The battery pack is also slightly different on the last one I received, but it did also come with a 3AAA battery holder so you can use 3AA instead of an 18650.

It just irritates me that the dang LED flashes all of the time that it is turned off. LOL Probably will leave it as is though and use it for backpacking / camping 'cause it will make it easy to find at night.

I complained to the seller and he said that they have to models that are very similar and that they are of the same quality and that is luck of the draw on which one you receive.

I complained that I received a different product than what is pictured in his auction and he refunded me $10.00 instead of replacing the light.

Originally Posted By: snowcamomanIt's alright yotehunter, you can never have too many lights. Go on and order one anyways, you deserve it....Right???

Order one of these too if you really want to light things up:
http://gretnabikes.com/betty_x_pro.asp

Lupine! Only the best in headlamps.. too rich for my blood though.. I like the Piko.. so much I'll probably end up ordering this.. but still the price is hefty..

-Juanjo

Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: mofiremanWell, I just pulled the trigger on two (2) of these....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300459609826?ssPageName=STRK

This may or may not be the preferred model,

This is the model you want, the difference is in the head.
0401011323.jpg

This has has a different head design,(that you bought) it has a lot of slop when you slide in back and forth.
0401111320.jpg

I have both and much prefer the first one although they both put out the same amount of light.

The problem is some ebay sellers advertise the first light in there item picture, but once you are in the item link the the poor head design is what's inside. You really have to look close at these items.

Here's an example. Once you're in ebay click on "back to search results" and the other headlamp is pictured.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18650-ZOOMABLE-Z...=item2309761ffa

Here's a good add....(at least from the pictures)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18650-ZOOMABLE-Z...=item45f9d887a5

Thanks for the info! I certainly don't doubt what you're saying. I looked for quite some time, and I couldn't find the one with the head that you prefer, that was currently available. A few that I did find were the ones where the battery charger cord plugged right into the battery compartment, which I did not want.

I received an email yesterday stating that they both shipped, so the shipping countdown from Hong Kong is on.....LOL

Originally Posted By: SmackerquackerI have the bottom one in the pic and I am happy with it.
Amazon.com and had it in about 10 days.

Good to know, my partners light where it slides back and forth had a lot of slob and actually rattled if you shook it a little.

Well I received one of the headlamps yesterday that I ordered several days ago! Oddly enough, the head still looks different than either of the two posted by pmack above!!! It more closely resembles the second one, but it's even different yet.

I've charged the batteries and have used it a couple of times around the house and at the fire station. This thing is capable of putting out a very bright beam, that's for sure. Especially when on the higher setting and zoomed out. I could see reflectors shining on parked cars at over 200 yards, easy!! Maybe closer to 300 yards?!?

I've got two more that I ordered that shipped from Hong Kong that I've not received yet. We can't night hunt here in Missouri, but I'll still use them to get in/out of my tree stands and to follow a blood trail when needed.

Well I received the other two headlamps that I had shipped from Hong Kong. The original delivery date was December 14-27 and they arrived on the 7th! Truthfully, I've not been able to spend a lot of time comparing them to the one that I received the day before from California, but I will soon and report back.

Originally Posted By: mofiremanWell I received one of the headlamps yesterday that I ordered several days ago! Oddly enough, the head still looks different than either of the two posted by pmack above!!! It more closely resembles the second one, but it's even different yet.

I've charged the batteries and have used it a couple of times around the house and at the fire station. This thing is capable of putting out a very bright beam, that's for sure. Especially when on the higher setting and zoomed out. I could see reflectors shining on parked cars at over 200 yards, easy!! Maybe closer to 300 yards?!?

I've got two more that I ordered that shipped from Hong Kong that I've not received yet. We can't night hunt here in Missouri, but I'll still use them to get in/out of my tree stands and to follow a blood trail when needed.

So much for my theory about where to buy them. The head that I felt was inferior didn't have the same fit and feel of the original one. It worked but had a lot of slop, not the same tolerances of the original. Both the lights I posted performed the same in the field. We just used them last night to recover a deer, they are hard to beat for the price.

Back