kimber montana 223

This is peculiar. It should stabilize everything up to 70 or even 75. Maybe not the bergers.

I guess if it likes 50s go with them. There are a lot of good 50s out there, my favorite being the Speer soft point.

What powder were you using?

My two (223s) and my buddies all shoot tiny little groups with a 65 SGK, CCI 450 and 25 grains of reloader 15. That's a worked up load with a moly coated bullet. I started with 75 gr data and would suggest you do the same. I don't know that it's a hot load but just be safe.

Last edited:
223 is legal for deer here, wouldn't shoot one with less than a 65 gr bullet designed for the purpose. don't want to argue the wisdom of department of conservation decision to write the regs like they did.

Originally Posted By: foxhunter1223 is legal for deer here, wouldn't shoot one with less than a 65 gr bullet designed for the purpose. don't want to argue the wisdom of department of conservation decision to write the regs like they did.

We can shoot deer with any rifle here. No limit of power, case, or size. Wonder who's "wisdom of the department of conservation" is more?

All the new Montana's will have a threaded barrel for a brake or suppressor. They are coming out with a 6.5 Creed with a 8" twist which will be a sweet rifle. I wish they would twist the .22-250 and .243's with a 8" twist.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dr. JWho wants to fix that many issues with a new rifle?? Sound like a reason to run away.

A lot of people like me own a number of Kimber rifles and have not done one thing to them to get them to shoot exceptionally well. I'm one short of a football team right now and have had absolutely no issues with any of them.

The information at the link was posted as a response to the many internet jockeys who have bought a Kimber rifle. When it didn't shoot to their expectations for the money they paid many had no clue as to what to do next except to bitche about it through their keyboard.

All of the suggestions there can apply to just about any factory rifle wit supposed accuracy problems, and not just Kimber rifles. The real truth is that there are a lot of people who buy a Kimber and when it doesn't shoot they blame the rifle. In many cases they don't understand how to accurately shoot a light weight rifle, and further more, some don't even realize that a light barreled rifle won't shoot accurate fast strings of shots like a heavy barreled target rifle will.

If you want a nice factory rifle, a Kimber is not a bad choice for a lot of reasons.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: Dr. JWho wants to fix that many issues with a new rifle?? Sound like a reason to run away.

A lot of people like me own a number of Kimber rifles and have not done one thing to them to get them to shoot exceptionally well. I'm one short of a football team right now and have had absolutely no issues with any of them.

The information at the link was posted as a response to the many internet jockeys who have bought a Kimber rifle. When it didn't shoot to their expectations for the money they paid many had no clue as to what to do next except to bitche about it through their keyboard.

All of the suggestions there can apply to just about any factory rifle wit supposed accuracy problems, and not just Kimber rifles. The real truth is that there are a lot of people who buy a Kimber and when it doesn't shoot they blame the rifle. In many cases they don't understand how to accurately shoot a light weight rifle, and further more, some don't even realize that a light barreled rifle won't shoot accurate fast strings of shots like a heavy barreled target rifle will.

If you want a nice factory rifle, a Kimber is not a bad choice for a lot of reasons.

Not even a mag box huh? The two that I have in hand weren't troublemakers, but they did have a couple of minor issues, mainly a binding magazine box.

The 7mm-08 sits crooked in the stock, like most any Kimber I have ever laid eyes upon; however, it will shoots some dandy little groups with 120 NBTs. If I rebarrell it later (which was the plan originally), I'll address that little eyesore then and there. In the mean time, it's pretty much wearing a hole in my front seat. It goes everywhere I go. It's too handy to leave behind.

The pro varmint I had was horrible. I pull a Sako out of the box and it shoots. It does not require a thing from me. I guess you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: Dr. JWho wants to fix that many issues with a new rifle?? Sound like a reason to run away.

Not even a mag box huh? The two that I have in hand weren't troublemakers, but they did have a couple of minor issues, mainly a binding magazine box.

The 7mm-08 sits crooked in the stock, like most any Kimber I have ever laid eyes upon; however, it will shoots some dandy little groups with 120 NBTs. If I rebarrell it later (which was the plan originally), I'll address that little eyesore then and there. In the mean time, it's pretty much wearing a hole in my front seat. It goes everywhere I go. It's too handy to leave behind.

Nope. Not even a mag box. And for the record, any factory rifle I buy gets checked for "flaws" whether its a Kimber or who maybe made it. I have had problems with 700's, Ruger 77's, and one Winchester in recent years with mag boxes, however. But the fix is quick and easy, and after all, they're factory mass produced rifles so perfection isn't expected without looking for issues.

Those frequent ones that you've "laid eyes upon" that all sit crooked in the stock, do you think a bolt reshaping like Calhoun performs would help?
unsure.gif
Just curious.

The only rifles I've seen in the past few years with actions sitting crooked in stocks where, uh....I hate to say it.....they were CZ rifles, especially some of the early 221 Fireball rifles.

My Montana in 223 shot great. Only thing is I wanted it in 17 Rem. So it is at Kevin Weavers getting a new barrel on it. I wouldn't think twice on buying another one. I actually have my eye on one in 6.5.

I would love to see a wood stocked Kimber that didn't favor one side... Looooooove to.
No, I don't think a bolt handle rework would help much. It would be about like putting one on a CZ,
a complete waste of time and money.

Do you think you'll hurt my feelings talking about CZ? Like I'm affiliated with them? Nope.

I think perhaps you should take a look at your own rifles. There's bound to be one or two sitting crooked, or all of them. Surely it's not just this dry climate that does it. Although, if nearly every one for sale in the city of Lubbock has a lopsided barrel channel... It may very well be.

I think we went over this month's ago. It's still true today. That's probably why that cluster of rifles is still for sale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drumieMy Montana in 223 shot great. Only thing is I wanted it in 17 Rem. So it is at Kevin Weavers getting a new barrel on it. I wouldn't think twice on buying another one. I actually have my eye on one in 6.5.

Kevin does a fine job! Despite his price increase, I'd still use him for most work.

And whats the price of a new Sako???? Walnut stocked Sako's cost more than my Kimber Classic Select or Classic's. The synthetic stocked Sako's are only $100 to $150 less than my Kimber Montana's and the Montana's wear a Carbon Fiber stock, but the Sako's wear a synthetic stock.
I love Sako's, currently have 2, but I love the Kimbers better. I've only had one Kimber that needed some minor corrections and the other 4 I have work great right out of the box.

I agree that those synthetic stocks sakos aren't much of a bargain. There's one for like $1300 at cabelas. You could probably fit a 22 shell in the gap behind the tang. Very poorly molded. The stock also looks plastic. Good plastic, like magpul-ish, but still plastic.

For a good factory rifle, I vote cooper. Wood or glass. Not in love with my 84l select. I will give it one more chance this summer. If I cant get it to shoot groups instead of patterns, she will be leaving.

Originally Posted By: CZ527I would love to see a wood stocked Kimber that didn't favor one side... Looooooove to.
No, I don't think a bolt handle rework would help much. It would be about like putting one on a CZ,
a complete waste of time and money.

Do you think you'll hurt my feelings talking about CZ? Like I'm affiliated with them? Nope.

I think perhaps you should take a look at your own rifles. There's bound to be one or two sitting crooked, or all of them. Surely it's not just this dry climate that does it. Although, if nearly every one for sale in the city of Lubbock has a lopsided barrel channel... It may very well be.

I think we went over this month's ago. It's still true today. That's probably why that cluster of rifles is still for sale.

I'll try to do that one of these days when I'm looking for something to be negative about so that I too can pretend that I'm an expert on the internet.
thumbup.gif
In the meantime, carry on dude. You're handling the expert part in grand fashion.

Winny Fan,

Thank God you're planning to make a contribution in the future. I look forward to you writing something of value. If you'd like, I could provide photos on this forum that might add some validity and appeal to skeptics such as yourself. Would that make it better or worse for you?

Back