kimber montana 223

anyone out there shooting one of these? just curious what results you have had with it. the barrel is a 1-9 twist rate, which bulles does it favor?
thx
bob

I have one and the bullets I've shot in it range from 40 to 60 grains.

It shoots everything I've tried extremely well, and it especially likes the Sierra 52 grain BTHP bullet as well as 55 grain lead tipped bullets.

My Kimber Montana .223 shoots 70 gr Bergers very well. 53 gr V-max are decent too. It does not shoot the 75 gr A-max accurately.....I suspect the 1 in 9 twist is too slow for them. It likes Varget powder best so far. The Montana .223 makes a real nice calling rifle!

I recently bought a 7-08, then a 243 to rebarrell to some u determined 22 cal round, and I'll buy a 223 as soon as #?*!#?*! Railroad business is good again.

I love these rifles dearly.

I shoot Sierra 55 SBT and Varget in mine. 55Nosler bt's and H4895 or leverevolution powder shoots good too.

Mine doesn't like the 75 amax either but will shoot the hornady 75 bthps

Originally Posted By: foxhunter1tried some 60 vmax and they shot in the 8's, not .8 but 8 inches at 100 yards.

Sometimes that happens. Hope you didn't buy the 500 pack!

I Can't believe Nobody has mentioned the 65 Sierra gameking. What a bullet.
The 68 gr Hornady is a good one too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: foxhunter1tried some 60 vmax and they shot in the 8's, not .8 but 8 inches at 100 yards.

Sometimes that happens. Hope you didn't buy the 500 pack!

Maybe you could speed up your future purchase that you mentioned and then get back to us on this quickly.

Originally Posted By: CZ527

Does the 65gr kill them quicker with less fur damage than the 55 SBT's? Or shoot tighter groups.

I killed about 20 coyotes last week, 15+ with the Sierra 55SBT. About 5 with the 35 Berger out of my 20 Practical AR15. Just wondering why a heavier bullet would be better?

About 20 coyotes in a week ? Were they in traps ? Now that is a bunch of coyotes ! You better keep little meeow - meeow kitty locked up at night.

I took a vacation and went out west to some areas I have been going to since 2003. Much higher populations and more access to land than back here.

The same day I got 4 coyotes on the one stand, I went out that afternoon with a friend "Chili Rojo" who really knows his stuff, and shot two more. Actually saw 8 that day and shot 7, but couldn't find one. Spent one day hunting with another friend that does ADC work out there. I don't like traplines, too much work and I don't know that much about them.

It was my best, most productive time out there. Would love to be able to repeat it. Sometimes the moon and the stars just line up. LOL

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: CZ527

Does the 65gr kill them quicker with less fur damage than the 55 SBT's? Or shoot tighter groups.

I killed about 20 coyotes last week, 15+ with the Sierra 55SBT. About 5 with the 35 Berger out of my 20 Practical AR15. Just wondering why a heavier bullet would be better?

I wouldn't say it kills them any quicker. They're both good bullets. I'll say thought that with the slight drop in velocity I have seen less fur damage. I only ever tried the 65 because I loaded too many one deer season.

I can say, however, that in 3 different 9 twist rifles I got better accuracy from the 65 than the 55. I have stuck with them ever since.

Last edited:
I agree the rifles are made for the tinkerer. For a long time I wouldn't buy one because it seemed every Kimber I picked up had a visible issue. I finally decided that the value of a good CRF action and trigger coupled with a stock that others would charge $600 for was worth the investment -even if I had to rebarrell it. So far both of them needed a few quick fixes, but all in all worth it. I like to Bubba stuff up anyway.

all good info on problems and fix. mine shoots the 40 and 50 gr bullets just fine. it's the long 60 vmax that is the problem. might try some 69 gr
tried the 65 gr sierra's and some were off the 10x12 sheet of paper.

Back