Is the 6.5 grendel a thing of the past ...

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptThe 6.5G does a fine job as well.

that looks like the neighbors huskie mix, LOL

Unique for sure...

I'm waiting on black friday parts to build three 6.5 Grendel uppers for myself and my hunting partners. It seems like an intersting cartridge with a lot more horsepower than .223, without the size/weight penalty of an AR10.

I'd sure like to see the 6x6.8 get the SAAMI blessing and see some production ammo. I think it would be a great match for the 6.8 and .224 Valkyrie.

kwg

Originally Posted By: kwg020I'd sure like to see the 6x6.8 get the SAAMI blessing and see some production ammo. I think it would be a great match for the 6.8 and .224 Valkyrie.

kwg

No comparison. They each have their place but the 6mm trumps them in every category

Originally Posted By: kwg020..like to see the 6x6.8 get the SAAMI blessing...
Me too, but it'll take a major marketing company like Hornady to push it through, not likely..

Originally Posted By: kwg020I'd sure like to see the 6x6.8 get the SAAMI blessing and see some production ammo. I think it would be a great match for the 6.8 and .224 Valkyrie.

kwg

That would be awesome, but as noted, it would take a lot of effort from a sizeable company with enough bankroll to get that dream to reality. I don't own one, but am familiar with it....and I stayed at Holiday Inn last night.
tt2.gif

One lower and 3 uppers. A guy would only have to buy 3 bullets for 99% of his or her reloading all on the AR15 platform. Could you imagine the bullet speed if they made a .200 on the 6.8 brass. Maybe this is the problem ??

kwg

Originally Posted By: kwg020One lower and 3 uppers. A guy would only have to buy 3 bullets for 99% of his or her reloading all on the AR15 platform. Could you imagine the bullet speed if they made a .200 on the 6.8 brass. Maybe this is the problem ??

kwg

Already shooting a 20X6.8 and a 20 LBC. Speeds are about 100-150fps above a 204. It does OK in an AR but will come alive in a bolt gun where you get to play with a bit more pressure and not have to fight the BCG running.

Greg

I own a grendel/243ar10/243wssm. They are all nice. 99% of my hunting is at night with nv so my opinion on them might not be the same as a daytime caller. Night vision can get big and bulky. My grendel is mainly used for a dedicated 6x optic for 300yrds and in. But currently i have my swarovski 5x30x50 with ballistic turrit on it with a pvs 30 in front of that. Killed a coyote the other night at 500yrds drt. So if you have time to range and deal with the bullet drop they will shoot. The ar10’s are also great. Mine is a lightweight christensen arms but it is super bulky for me. I get tired of casing and uncasing it 20 times a night on an all night hunt. Flatter trajectory equals easier holdovers when not enough time to range. The 243wssm is the perfect of all worlds for what i do. It might not be for everyone but it is for me. I would never sell my grendel. So it’s still relevant in my book.

Originally Posted By: yotebuster10513 yards that's a poke ..very nice now you got my attention..

Here is a pic of the deer down through a scope...

image000000 (1) by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

One of the big benefits of the Grendel is the way it bucks the wind. Instead of getting drifted around like my .308 it slices through a lot of the wind.

Here is a group that one of our PM member customers shot with his 6.5, in 25 mph winds...

10367565_1470301746542641_2260106446172545546_n by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Ok so since you own a 6.5 Grendel and a 243 win AR. Which would you choose out of the 2 to be used as a kinda all around gun but mostly for coyotes ??

Man that is pretty impressive group for a day with wind ..I am leaning towards the 6.5 Grendel but I still have a itch for a AR10 243...How is the factory ammo now for the Grendel ...I know it use to be pretty expensive but it kinda seems like if you didn't reload you could get away with buying factory ammo and not kill your wallet to bad ..

lots of factory ammo offerings in 6.5 grendel, some more pricey than others.

the hornady stuff runs about $20 - $25 / box, so $1+ / round.

Back