Is the 6.5 grendel a thing of the past ...

Is the 6.5 Grendel still relevant? I remember so many people shooting this cal not that long ago .Seems like it was a phase or am I just that late to the party.Is the production of ammo going to fall off the market...I am very interested in this caliber for a Ar build for a all around gun but mainly for coyote hunting.I have a itch for a 6.5 Grendel or a 243 in a AR platform.I know the 243 is heavier in the AR10 platform and more expensive .I currently do not reload and currently shoot 204 and 243 for yotes . Something about a AR in these calibers has me super interested big time.What do you guys think...

Mine too. With the number of cartridges available today, probably several the cover the .243 WSSM too. I'd venture a guess that the WSSM's will go away before the Grendel.

Originally Posted By: cmatera Mine too. With the number of cartridges available today, probably several the cover the .243 WSSM too. I'd venture a guess that the WSSM's will go away before the Grendel. maybe but one would say it already went away. Then all of a sudden brass shows up and is easily found now days. just buy 500 pieces of brass and you should be set for quite a bit of shooting. more than most people will use even though they will never admit it.

I been on the fence about a build between the two .I have a 243 bolt already but I have always wanted a AR in 243 .but the 6.5 seems very interesting in a light weight longer range hunting gun..What are the pros and cons you guys see with the 2 different platforms and calibers???????

I really like the 6.5 Grendel cartridge as it is a very versatile cartridge whether out of an AR-15 or bolt action. I wouldn't call the 6.5 Grendel a fur friendly cartridge even with 85, 90 or 95 grain varmint bullets. The 6.5 Grendel does not have the high velocity with varmint bullets like the 264 Win Mag, 260, 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47 Lapua.

If your not concerned about the pelts the cartridge is very effective. A Friend has been using an 18" 6.5 Grendel AR-15 with 85 grain Sierra Varmint hand loads for coyotes and has been very satisfied with it's performance. Previously he used a Savage bolt action in 243.

Originally Posted By: yotebuster10I..What are the pros and cons you guys see with the 2 different platforms and calibers..
243 vs 6.5G AR platforms differ in size and weight.
243 AR-10 is overkill for a yote hunting rifle in size, weight & down range power, imo. (would use it if it was my only gun)
6.5G and 6.8 spc are a nice compromise for a yote hunting carry rifle, imo.

I have a 243 upper, 6.5 cm upper, and 308 upper for AR-10 that have never gone yote hunting,
due to my preference for 223, 300 BO and 6x6.8 AR and 22-250 bolt.

Not concerned about pelts .this will be used for a coyote hunting rig 95% of the time . The rest shooting random targets for fun and maybe a platform for my wife to use for antelope maybe deer ...

Man now that I am looking for a new gun seems like I am discovering all kinds of different avenues to go down ...Specialized Dynamics AR 10 in 22-250.. Anybody have one or shot one the videos looks awesome of it...

I wouldn't recommend antelope or deer hunting with a 22-250. Yeah, I've killed deer with a .223....wouldn't recommended that either.

I have several AR15 rifles in 6.8SPC and 6.5G.

Both are extremely accurate and effective on deer, hogs, and coyotes out to 400 yards or more depending on shooter ability.

Neither are going away any time soon.

Just took this buck with a new 6.8SPC build at about 125 yards. 120gr SST hand loads.

Last edited:
Back