Is it legal to hunt at night in your state??

Originally Posted By: AZspikeOriginally Posted By: AZ~RedThat's a big negative in AZ. I think we can hunt coons at night but that's it.

Red was right when he posted that. However, things have changed in the last 2 years in Arizona. It is legal to hunt Lions at night in some hunting units. It is legal to hunt coyotes with shotguns in other units, but only for part of the year. I wouldn't even try to sum it up better than that. If you are thinking about night hunting in AZ set aside a few hours to read the "Daylong" portion of the regs.

OP was wanting to know if you can hunt at night from a truck and in az its N0!!!! your light cannot be attached to your hunting vehicle

but you can hunt at night with a shotgun NOT using slugs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SmithOriginally Posted By: the noobieOriginally Posted By: SmithSpotlighting in MT is legal for varmints. Bobcats can NOT be spotlighted. Land owner permission required, you can spotlight on BLM but be prepared to get stopped by fish and game or sheriff. Most ranchers and farmers will call law if they see a light unless you talk to them(even on BLM). I spotlight all the time around here with very few troubles, but I let the neighboring ranches I am going out.

What about state land? I found a nice promising little chunk of state land, its. Set right in the middle of private land but it doesn't look like anyone but the ranchers have been through it this winter. I will probably day hunt it but its always good to know

If there is no public access to the land you have to get permission to cross the deeded land to get to it. If there is public access I still would notify the the ranch that leases it to see if was alright to go, I don't know if it required to contact them, but I would sure like to know if someone was spotlighting on any of our 3 sections of state we lease. Some state lands in MT are bow hunting only, and restricted weapons only. You have to have a state land permit to hunt big game or birds on state land but I can't find anything that says you have to for varmints(non resident you have to have a state land permit). If it is in a Block management program you Do have to get permission to hunt it.

Ahhh ok thanks for the help! Sorry I had to ask on here no internet and these dang phones are a real pita to use. The whole state lands is a new concept to me this year so maybe ill just go talk to the ranches around it and see if I can't get permission out and around it. Quite amazing how happy some of these ranchers get when you ask if you can hunt coyotes, even had one older gentleman offer to get his cows out of the field so I had clear shots.

Thanks, yea I saw that little bit about coyotes on the website but like someone else said, "some of montanas laws have more gray areas than an aircraft carrier."
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Ultimate PredatorThanks alot guys, here is a list of the states that have not been mentioned as of yet. Alabama, Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming, and I highly doubt anyone has called any coyotes lately on Hawai, so if anyone has any info on these states let me know and I would appreciate it. Thanks Chris

No California so far....

Seems to have about the loosest regs in the country, coyotes are open season, no limit. The only thing is that you have to watch the county by county regs as there are c a couple where you can't.

9 volt max light
no night vision scopes or gear
have to be away from vehicle

Last edited:
Yes it legal to hunt only coyotes here in Maine. We can use lights, rifles and shot guns 24/7 from Dec 16-Aug 31st but with a special permit its possible to night hunt all year long.

Originally Posted By: ScalloperYes it legal to hunt only coyotes here in Maine. We can use lights, rifles and shot guns 24/7 from Dec 16-Aug 31st but with a special permit its possible to night hunt all year long.
Except Sunday.

Back