Is it legal to hunt at night in your state??

you can use a truck and radios to hunt coyotes in kansas, I don't but you can you just can't be on the roads. you can tear up fields and pastures all you want.

WISCONSIN HERE!

Coyote
Hunting:
Continuous open season except closed in the northern Wisconsin wolf management zone during the regular gun deer, December antlerless only, and muzzleloader seasons.

love the 365 days of coyote hunting!

that is straight off the wisconsin dnr website.
night hunting is allowed with a light at time of kill. (scanning the field never hurt, lol). no truck hunting (shooting out of vehicle).
love the 365 days of coyote hunting!

Last edited:
Here in PA you can hunt at night for raccoons, bobcats, fox, coyotes, skunks,and a few other fury animals I can't think of at the moment. You can use both handheld lights or gun mounted lights.
thumbup1.gif

In Oklahoma you can contact a game ranger and at his/her discretion maybe you can hunt with a shotgun but not out of a vehicle.This is out of the Oklahoma regs.

Headlighting

No person may attempt to take, take, attempt to catch, catch, attempt to capture, capture, attempt to kill, or kill any deer, feral animal or other wildlife, except fish and frogs or except as provided by law, by the use of a vehicle mounted spotlight or other powerful light at night, by what is commonly known as "headlighting" or use any light enhancement device (night scope). Provided, however, nothing in this code shall prevent one from possessing a .22 caliber rimfire rifle or .22 caliber rimfire pistol and a light carried on his person while in pursuit of furbearers with hounds during the legal open furbearer season, while possessing a valid hunting license and fur license, unless exempt.

Hunting From Motor Vehicles

No person may harass, attempt to capture, capture, attempt to take, take, kill or attempt to kill any wildlife with the aid of any motor-driven land, air or water conveyance, except a non-ambulatory person may hunt from said conveyances with a non-ambulatory or motor vehicle permit. Provided, however, nothing in this code shall prevent the use of motor-driven land or water conveyances for following dogs in the act of hunting, when use of said conveyances is restricted to public roads or waterways. Said conveyances may be used on private property for following dogs in the act of hunting with the landowner’s or occupant’s permission.

Last edited:
You can hunt predators at night in Montana with artificial light but not from a vehicle. Your light can't be connected to a vehicle in any way. You also can't use a disconnected trailer for a blind. Bobcats are a no go at night and night vision for coyotes is a subject of debate.

Montana's regulations have more gray areas than a battleship.

Nate

Originally Posted By: sparkyksyou can use a truck and radios to hunt coyotes in kansas, I don't but you can you just can't be on the roads. you can tear up fields and pastures all you want.

Well, during the day you can do these things.

But sparky...let us know what you really feel about greyhound/truck hunters.
grin.gif
I sense a little hostility.
grin.gif

In Colorado, you have to have a night permit and a small game lic. Lights can not be attached to a vehicle or projected from a vehicle. You must call the conservation officer and let them know where you will be hunting for the night.

Thanks alot guys, here is a list of the states that have not been mentioned as of yet. Alabama, Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming, and I highly doubt anyone has called any coyotes lately on Hawai, so if anyone has any info on these states let me know and I would appreciate it. Thanks Chris

South Dakota:

You must have a Predator/Varmint license, or any other valid hunting license, to hunt coyotes. (A Predator/Varmint license is $5 for residents, $40 for non-residents.) You can hunt coyotes year round.

Coyotes can be hunted at night, but no artificial lights of any kind can be used (except as stated below).

It sounds like you can hunt from a vehicle for coyotes, as long as you are not within 660 feet of an occupied dwelling, church, school, or livestock.

I couldn't find any restrictions on firearms used for coyotes except for this: A landowner or occupant and one guest may use an artificial light on his or her land year round to take jackrabbits, coyotes, red and gray fox, raccoons, opossums, badgers, skunks and
rodents. Only firearms using shotshells or .22 caliber rimfire cartridges may be used or possessed.

Thanks for everyones input, Here is a list of the states that have yet to get mentioned. Alabama, Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming, and unless anyone has called any coyotes in Hawai recently, then Hawai, lol. Let me know if anyone has any info for these states. Thanks Chris

Last edited:
Quote:unless anyone has called any coyotes in Hawai recently, then Hawai, lol.

mellow.gif
....you know something....I never thought about that state until now. Does Hawaii have any sort of predators to hunt?
confused.gif

Who knows? Maybe they do and we don't know about it.
w00t.gif
tongue.gif

Last edited:
Hawaii has hogs, their a big problem, and a few other species that aren't native thrive in Hawaii. They also have other invasive species such as goats deer and sheep. All would be good hunting.

Okay, I'll try.

You can hunt predators at night in New Mexico on private land with the landowner's permission. I believe you must be designated an "agent" of the landowner. You can also hunt on leased state trust land in the presence of the leaseholder. I understand that you can use artificial light and shoot from the vehicle, assuming you violate no other firearms safety laws. I have never done any of this in NM, so I can't say for 100% sure that I'm correct, but based on input from Tony and the Game Warden during the PM Hunt a couple months ago, I believe this to be accurate.

elks-I believe that if you hunt at night on private land you just have to have a signed permission slip from the landowner but you still can't hunt from a vehicle or with a light attached to a vehicle. I could be wrong though.
BP

West virgina you can hunt at night from Jan.1 to July 31 at night use a amber or red light.But what really sucks is you can only use a rimfire rifle,or shotgun with #4 or bigger buckshot.

Back