If you could have just one high end rifle, what cartridge?

.243 will probably suffice.
6mm is better.
.260 edges that out.
.270 is proven.
.280 beats that.
7mm-08 is a great round.
7mm mag bests it.
.30-06 is an american standard.
.300 mag does it all. There is my choice.
For you I would look at .260/6.5, 7mm-08

Quote:I want a cartridge that I can shoot a lot. I mostly plan to use this rifle mainly for coyotes and steel but also deer and antelope.

If you don't mind re-barreling on a somewhat frequent basis, one of the fast sixes would be sweet. A 243AI would rock. I prefer something I really can shoot a lot before switching tubes so I use a mid-velocity round like the .260, etc.

I don't have a custom, but I do have a 1977 Model 700 BDL in .243 that is in new condition with an absolute perfect trigger, pillar bedded stock and good glass that is really accurate and is my best fancy rifle. I'd love to have a custom and if I did it would probably be a .243 with a faster twist barrel.

6mm Rem if mostly dog work, but if you are going long at medium sized game, then the 6.5-06 fits. It is everything the .270 win wants to be, and everything the 25-06 should have been. If you like to shoot at distance and hit what you are aiming at then you will not regret the 6.5-06. IMO.

Originally Posted By: zack blainIt's amazing how many people suggest .20 cals and 30 cals when the OP stated between .243 and .280

It's amazing when he asked for sugguestions, with the possiblity of 243 and 30cal, not set in stone.

Back