I witnessed Watson's wizardry

Dogboy,

I see that you were paying attention. You can go to the head of the class. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here's some weekend pics off Bukers camera. He'll be around in the morning to add the commentary.

cat1.jpg

cat2.jpg

yote1.jpg

The above pics are just a few of the animals we got on video tape for our next night hunting videos.

The last shot is Rusty Holt looking for and then pointing out the entrance wound on a coyote I shot with my .17rem. The other two are two bobcats we called in nice and close for River Runner.

Those are great still shots showing the different body language that the cats can show when coming to the call. In that second pic, that cat is dead set on the sound and is intent on finding it. The first pic is oh so typical of a cat. When they sit like that they are usually just taking their own sweet time and checking things out (although they are usually behind a bush or some other obstacle which can make it frustrating/challenging). Sometimes they can sit like that FOREVER and when they turn their head like that, you lose track of their eyes since they aren't reflecting the light back at you. You can still get them to stand up and come on in at times....although that cat looks plenty close enough! I think studying body language like that and putting that knowledge to use in the field is invaluable when calling predators, and can make a world of difference when trying to put fur in the truck. You can learn as much or more from an animal that busts you and gets away as you can the ones you kill. You'll get busted less if you read their signs and know what they are telling you.

In that last pic I'm finally finding the entrance wound on that coyote. His eyes were bugged out so I knew he had suffered a head shot, but couldn't find any sign of an entrance or exit wound. I finally found a spot directly between its eyes where the hair was a little messed up. That .17 Rem bullet left a BB sized entrance wound and didn't exit, but turned the inside of his head into jello. A NICE shot to say the least considering he was coming in and was stopped by that bullet at around 80-100 yds.

Great pics, guys!

Rusty

We don't want to get started on that 17..do we Randy??? :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It was fun. Good thing is I called 3 cats just that close. One was about 20 feet, he sat down and Champion filled his face with #4 buckshot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I love it when that happens.

Watson,

Just remember I'm coming back down 4 days after christmas. I think a nice little stocking stuffer from you to me might just be a new .223 so you can quit whining about my.17rem. :rolleyes: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Shall I buy the bullets or will you give those to me too?

Buker, thanks for acknowledging my observation skills and moving me up front of the class. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Second thing is looks like you know how to shoot that .17..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You should make Watson shoot it, he might like the little rifle and buy one and be like the rest of us .17 shooters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Serious note, what load are you shooting in your .17????????????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Uh oh....This is going to be good!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Since my name wasn't mentioned I'll stay out of it...but I'll bet Watson will have something to say about trading his .223 for the .17 Rem. I'll also refrain from telling anything about the bobcat that took a frontal chest shot from Buker's .17 Rem. I'll let them tell you about it.

Rusty

He's already said it Rusty, "Put dat damn thang back in truck, and shoot a reeel gun". 5 or 6 times in fact.
Buker said just like this
pity.gif

LOL....ah man it sure was fun down there. I miss the old Codge already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here's some more pics from Buker by the way;

yotesneak.jpg

yotestare.jpg

yotearrive.jpg

That first picture is a coyote just as he takes a load of #4 buckshot from Watson. The others are just coyotes waiting to die.

As for the .17, Wellll.......

Randy

Ohhhhhh, that must be the one that ran in hard and I had a helluva time getting the light and the crosshairs on him at the same time.

LOL, I remember yelling Wooo! trying to get him to stop and all of a sudden from right below me... Ka BOOooom!
icon51.gif
Watson guns em down and mumbles, " whoo that! you s.o.b"
yesyes.gif

LOL

That's the problem with people that don't get to shoot a lot of coyotes or cats, they shoot that pellet gun at a fox or 2 and all of a sudden, they can kill elephants with it. I did make a stupid mistake once when the .17 first got popular, I QUICKLY used it for a fencepost and went back to shooting my .223. I understand if you can't take the recoil, but I've said it before and I'll say it again...the .17 caliber is a good caliber for a pellet gun, but if you're gonna' try to knock down a real varmint, load up a bigger gun. Now, about the front chest shots that ran away...nevermind I think ya'll get my point. Hey Buker, JH called and said you could bring your sissy gun out and hunt with him??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Smallblockfulie,

Those were still captured from the video camera.

For all others:

I would like to take this time to publicly repent of my sins. Yes, I've been using a .17rem to kill foxes, coyotes and bobcats. I now see the error of my ways. While it's true that I've killed "a fox or 2" and even some big North Dakota and Minnesota coyotes with it, I must have been very, very lucky. Perhaps my rifle only works in cold climates or maybe just over snow. I don't know but I thank the heavens above for the "luck" I've had with it up until now.

I'm sure now that "ya'll" see how sincere I am along with my public humiliation, a "get Buker a .223" Fund will be set up and I should be able to have my new .223 in time for my next trip to Texas. (I'm sure Watson will provide the majority of the funds. The rest of you need only donate about $50.00 each.) By the way, don't forget the scope!

This reminds me of something someone once said about arguing on the internet and racing or something.

PS, I'm going to make it my mission to educate others as a way to make up for my sins. I'll start with Silverfox.

:rolleyes:

Guess when I book a hunt with Watson I better leave my .17 at home or suffer the wrath.. :eek:

Randy you do have your truck set up nice for throwing those critter in the basket up front. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rusty,

You've seen how poorly that .17 works. I'm expecting one of the first donations for my new .223 to come from you!!!!

That .223 will cost a little more since we'll have to let Watson come up with something fitting to be engraved on the barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rusty

Back