I need some powder options for 243 PLEASE!!!

Varget is not temp sensitive use the ice for your drinks.
smile.gif

4064 and 4350 are the only 2 powders I currently load in my 243s. I think I stuffed 243 cases with just about every powder under the sun. R-17 is the only one I have not tried that would interest me, but I'm in no hurry.....

Originally Posted By: tractormanLiterally putting them on ice in a cooler. Ambient temps effect loads. Someone can probably explain this better than me as I am still learning. There was some extensive testing done a few years ago. The, by far, biggest factor was the temp of the barrel. The powder temp was a minor factor compared to barrel temp. You could probably find the Precision Shooting article online by searching.

Jack

Any load/powder that is close to being to "hot",can have issuss with heat and sun. If you are sitting out in the direct sun,shooting chucks,steel etc; ammo and the action/barrel will take on heat.
I always try yo keep my ammo shaded at minimun.

Powder wise, 4350 has been go to me. My next rifle will be eating Rl-17 with 105's.

I thought I was doing the right thing so I did not have to load up some new shells till I shot all these up. Looks like I have been a fool. LOL. Think I will just sit back and read for awhile.
tongue_smilie.gif

70g Nosler is a hands down winner along with the 80g sierra and 80g Sierra BT blitz. IMR 4064 with all these bullets with a fed 210 is a great combo. My rifle likes 39.5g with the 70's and 41.5(work up to this load) with the 80's.

60g Sierra's are a fantastic coyote bullet, also. These bullets are extremely accurate.

Check this site for some great reloads reported by shooters in their rifles...you will see a pattern of loads that seem to work for a variety of rifles...good place to start

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/viewer.html

As usual, when you read a load on the internet, you should reference a reloading manual or 4 due to typo's and way over max load freeks.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeAny load/powder that is close to being to "hot",can have issuss with heat and sun. If you are sitting out in the direct sun,shooting chucks,steel etc; ammo and the action/barrel will take on heat.
I always try yo keep my ammo shaded at minimun.

Powder wise, 4350 has been go to me. My next rifle will be eating Rl-17 with 105's.

Keeping shells out of direct sun is a big point, equal or even more important is to not leave a loaded round sit for a length of time in a hot barrel. I leave my action open to cool and only chamber a round when I have a bogey in sight.

+1 on the RL-17 for heavy bullets. Good stuff.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsOriginally Posted By: tractormanLiterally putting them on ice in a cooler. Ambient temps effect loads. Someone can probably explain this better than me as I am still learning. There was some extensive testing done a few years ago. The, by far, biggest factor was the temp of the barrel. The powder temp was a minor factor compared to barrel temp. You could probably find the Precision Shooting article online by searching.

Jack

Of it sits in the chamber, yes. But a cool round, directly into the rifle, then shot, it DOES make a differance. You could take a ice cold round and put it in a hot chamber, let it sit, and the heat will win. Jme.

Keeping shells out of direct sun is a big point, equal or even more important is to not leave a loaded round sit for a length of time in a hot barrel. I leave my action open to cool and only chamber a round when I have a bogey in sight.

+1!!

+1 on the RL-17 for heavy bullets. Good stuff. [/quote]

+2 on not clambering till a bogey is in sight and keep the ammo in the shade.

For my new custom .243 I am in the process of working up some loads with IMR 4064 and IMR 4831 with 87 Gr V-Max bullets, so far the IMR 4831 is giving the best accuracy. I will be trying several other powders also.

DAB

Last edited:
My .243 is 1:10 barrel and IMR 3031 is the most accurate powder for Sierra 85g hpbt bullets I shoot. For heavier bullets it does not do as well. Quick Load model shows IMR 4895 would perform better on bigger bullets

75g v-max over IMR4831 w/ Fed 210's out of my factory 26" 91/4 twist has shot tight little groups for me.Gonna try Varget as soon as I can get a pound in my hands.Heading to the range in a couple days with about 100 rnds of various
weights and brands of bullets all over H4895.From 60g Blitz's to 85g TSX's and 95g BT's so we'll see what it does! ; )

There are a lot of different powders suggested, are there any powders that are not as temperature sensitive as others and would work better in either hot or cold environments or would work well in both?

Originally Posted By: AROKHUNTERThere are a lot of different powders suggested, are there any powders that are not as temperature sensitive as others and would work better in either hot or cold environments or would work well in both?

The IMR-8208 XBR is supposed to be very stable in a wide temp range. I'm having a tough time finding a lot of load data with that, but I should be able to get out in the next week or 2 and try some of my own loads.

Originally Posted By: WebopperOriginally Posted By: AROKHUNTERThere are a lot of different powders suggested, are there any powders that are not as temperature sensitive as others and would work better in either hot or cold environments or would work well in both?

The IMR-8208 XBR is supposed to be very stable in a wide temp range. I'm having a tough time finding a lot of load data with that, but I should be able to get out in the next week or 2 and try some of my own loads.

I don't know what you are looking for specifically, but try this: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Lot's of temp stable powders too.

I appreciate the link Smokeless. That info was very helpful.

I am liking the Varget and the H4350 which I always have. I am also leaning toward the H4895 to play with and see what happens. I think I am narrowing it down, for now.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: WebopperOriginally Posted By: AROKHUNTERThere are a lot of different powders suggested, are there any powders that are not as temperature sensitive as others and would work better in either hot or cold environments or would work well in both?

I don't know what you are looking for specifically, but try this: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Lot's of temp stable powders too.

Thanks Smokeless...that's the only place I'm finding reliable data right now. I have a few loads that some folks on here have come up with, but was hoping to find another source.

I have my charges all lined up for both the 50's and the 52's based on what the Hodgdon site has. I'm hoping my sweet spot is in that range somewhere. We shall see shortly I guess...

Back