How much and what kind of scope do I need for 400 yard shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with practice as most guys said. I need more practice myself.

Check out varmintals.com for some good info on how to read heat mirage to judge the wind and other shooting tips.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunAll I can say to that is Nikon, Bushnell, Burris, and the like never were, and still aren't what Leupold is today. And I've used more than one of every damm one of them........

No argument there... all the scopes you listed are junk, including leupold.

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: 2muchgunAll I can say to that is Nikon, Bushnell, Burris, and the like never were, and still aren't what Leupold is today. And I've used more than one of every damm one of them........

Seriously...

Let me guess, you only run S&B, IOR, and Premier?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: 2muchgunAll I can say to that is Nikon, Bushnell, Burris, and the like never were, and still aren't what Leupold is today. And I've used more than one of every damm one of them........

Seriously...

Let me guess, you only run S&B, IOR, and Premier?
Tasco
wink.gif

For the price and performance, you seriously cant go wrong with a VX3 LRT or MK4...You pay twice as much for a Premier or S&B, what exactly do you get for twice the price and be able to justify it?? Twice the clarity, twice the brightness, twice the MOA, twice the warm an fuzzy feeling, what??

I"m still waiting for a reply on that guys 2K hit percentage with his 338 Lapua/300g Scenars/5-25 Premier....Probly a reason I haven't gotten one yet...

Originally Posted By: kyotekiller25For the price and performance, you seriously cant go wrong with a VX3 LRT or MK4...You pay twice as much for a Premier or S&B, what exactly do you get for twice the price and be able to justify it?? Twice the clarity, twice the brightness, twice the MOA, twice the warm an fuzzy feeling, what??

I"m still waiting for a reply on that guys 2K hit percentage with his 338 Lapua/300g Scenars/5-25 Premier....Probly a reason I haven't gotten one yet...

You talking to me on the lapua? I didn't see where you asked that, and I would have responded had I. Although although on second thought there isn't much point. The hostility of people here has worn on me and I just don't feel like subjecting myself to any more.

For the non-hostile users here, or maybe people on the fence about premier scopes, here are some reasons the premier is worth the price over the leupold:

1) The paddle lever zero stop is easy to adjust without compromising the scope while I'm laying on the ground. This is especially nice on the DTA SRS because I can easily swtich barrels and dial right to the zero for the other barrel and set the turret without tools or taking the cap off.

2) The illumination controls are out of the way(unlike the S&B's and leupolds) and cannot be accidentally turned on.

3) I never get lost in turret revolutions, as they are all within the 2nd turn, and in most of my shooting I don't have to leave the first turn as there is 15 mils before a full rotation. This is very nice when shooting at targets at multiple distances under pressure.

4) When shooting at night or in low light, the MTC turrets make it very easy to dial without seeing the scope.

5) Yes the optics are great, but I don't fuss to much about them. Its a weapon sight, not a telescope.

6) It was offered in a mil/mil/ffp configuration long before leupold thought about it, and when I bought my first premier, the mil/mil/ffp options were not nearly as vast as they are right now.

7) I like the way it feels and functions overall. Its made me happy enough to buy 2 other premier's, and they have impressed me as well. The 3-15 is AMAZING.

i think any clear scope that holds a zero and has enough magnification that you can clearly see your aiming point, coupled with a reticle that you are used to(BDC, mildot, reg duplex,turret system, whatever)and have plenty of practice and knowledge of your ballistics with that gun will allow you to make hits at 400 yards.

Although it would be nice, i cant believe that you NEED top of the line optics to hit at 400 yards, and im sure most people (me included) cant afford them on everything and still have the money to actually get out and use them.

Take what i have to say with a grain of salt because i have no Long Range experience, my farthest shot on a big game animal is 364 yard but i think that is close enough to 400 to get the idea, and with practice and knowledge of what my gun will do at that range i have no doubt in the ability of making that shot repeatedly. i was using a Weaver grandslam 4.5-14. I think any of the quality scopes would serve your purpose. just my $.02

Fin

Last edited:
Orkan, while you may be technically correct on much of what you've said your argument is falling on deaf ears because for most people a $2,000 + scope mounted on an $4,000 + rifle isn't an option.

For guys who don't want to drop a few grand Leupod, Nikon, Vortex, etc... offer a great value. While it might not fit your program it does work for quite allot of people.

Yah I was referring to you.

You posted in the other thread that got locked up that you run it up and down out to 2K.

Pretty simple question really, I dont need a full 2 hour explanation. Whats your hit rate at 2K in good conditions on what size target?

Well from the sounds of things it seems like your paying twice as much for a scope that has a zero stop and the Ill. controls out of the way, big whoop. The other reasons are all cosmetics or personal reasons, or observations.

The more you talk, the more self-evident truths become apparent. Your 'reasons" are a joke, and so are you. You might be able to pull the wool over the eyes of the unknowing, but others are laughing a hearty laugh at your expense. It is easy to see through a poser. I have more experience in my left pinky than you have in your whole body. You really need to consider a different approach.........

[quoteFor the non-hostile users here,
[/quote]

Orkan--are you serious about this comment? ...and I'm assuming you think you're not hostile--right...?

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunThe more you talk, the more self-evident truths become apparent. Your 'reasons" are a joke, and so are you. You might be able to pull the wool over the eyes of the unknowing, but others are laughing a hearty laugh at your expense. It is easy to see through a poser. I have more experience in my left pinky than you have in your whole body. You really need to consider a different approach.........

Oh boy, I've been called a poser on the internet. My whole world is crushed.

How a post like this is even allowed, based on my understanding of the TOS, blows my mind.

Any time some one has a question about a "Budget" optic, the first thing you say is "It's [beeep]", "It's crap", "You can club something with it" and "You're a tardo for using it"(paraphrasing here). But there is an instance on another forum where you whole heartedly back an optic that is known to spend more time in the mail than on top of a rifle because the store owner says he will "gaurantee" it as a good alternative for a "Budget" minded scope.

The two ideals contradict. And you do come across as abrasive, I'm not holding that against you as it's hard to determine tone in text. But the tone you are getting from 2MG,SS110 and KY is the same tone everyone else here gets from you. The answer to your problems always seems to be a $2000 scope, well not every project requires a sledge hammer!

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy "You're a tardo for using it"(paraphrasing here).

Show me where I've handed out a personal attack like that. I've received PLENTY.

Also, show me where the OP was asking about a budget scope? I get asked why I think a certain scope is worth twice as much money. I answer, and get tore down personally some more for my trouble.

Seems that the same folks do the same attacking over and over again. All I do is offer my opinion, then get called an idiot or a liar for it. I've let some 3rd party's read a couple of these ridiculous attacks and the threads surrounding them so they can get a full context. There were a couple of things where they said "you could have worded that better" but other than that they see it exactly as I see it.

In just the last few days I've been called a liar, a "joke", a retard, and plenty of other things. All the while trying to follow the TOS while others are abusing it in every post toward me.

It doesn't bother me a lot, but it does a "little."
smile.gif
Contrary to 2muchgun's assertions, I know I have a lot of experience and I also know I have a lot to contribute. Those who know me in the real world, tell me so. Constantly being called a liar, when I'm not... does very much get old.

Genteleman, this is only going to lead to another post getting locked and another OP not getting the ansers they need.

I dont disagree with some stuff being said i would rather see the OP get help from the many knowledgeable people on this site.

just my $.02
, ill get off my soap box
Fin

Originally Posted By: cbosshog79Orkan, while you may be technically correct on much of what you've said your argument is falling on deaf ears because for most people a $2,000 + scope mounted on an $4,000 + rifle isn't an option.

For guys who don't want to drop a few grand Leupod, Nikon, Vortex, etc... offer a great value. While it might not fit your program it does work for quite allot of people.

Well said.

Originally Posted By: OKBrent WHAT DO I NEED to make that shot? Thanks for the input, Brent

Brent,
I'm not sure of your shooting skills ,so please don't take this the wrong way.

There are many people/shooters that if they had the best scope/rifle combo made, it STILL would not make them any better.

I would look at diff reticals and see what you might like. Pick one then practice with it. There are lots of guys here that shoot very well. Quite a few will not post anymore,due to bickering. Sometimes a PM will get you miles a head in your journy.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: Chupathingy "You're a tardo for using it"(paraphrasing here).

Show me where I've handed out a personal attack like that. I've received PLENTY.

Also, show me where the OP was asking about a budget scope? I get asked why I think a certain scope is worth twice as much money. I answer, and get tore down personally some more for my trouble.

Seems that the same folks do the same attacking over and over again. All I do is offer my opinion, then get called an idiot or a liar for it. I've let some 3rd party's read a couple of these ridiculous attacks and the threads surrounding them so they can get a full context. There were a couple of things where they said "you could have worded that better" but other than that they see it exactly as I see it.

In just the last few days I've been called a liar, a "joke", a retard, and plenty of other things. All the while trying to follow the TOS while others are abusing it in every post toward me.

It doesn't bother me a lot, but it does a "little."
smile.gif
Contrary to 2muchgun's assertions, I know I have a lot of experience and I also know I have a lot to contribute. Those who know me in the real world, tell me so. Constantly being called a liar, when I'm not... does very much get old.

Orkan, like I said...it's very difficult to read tone in text. By that I mean I don't automatically take harsh criticism of someone or something to automatically mean that the poster is a bad or mean person. Just over time an opinion can and will be formed about someone based on the content of their postings be it accurate or not(the opinion I mean). I may have spoke out of line earlier, and may have taken some dramatic license with my paraphrasing and for that I apologize. I don't think you are a bad or mean spirited person, but you do have an abrupt way about you(I do to). Right now I'm very ill (pnuemonia) and don't feel so hot and am a little jumpy and quick to bite, you didn't deserve that and I apologize for that as well. I can admit when I'm wrong and am doing so now. Hope you forgive me.

Chupa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back