How far they run after the shot?

Dear Travis

Wow...I've been away but I got the popcorn out tonight and it looks like we have a gentleman on this thread.

Any hunter/shooter understands shot placement...This post was to address what people are seeing in the field with different ammo and different calibers. Keep in mind, in some areas of the county it is only legal to use .22 LR at night. I mainly use .223. If all yours die in the exact spot you shoot them then good for you and thanks for your input. Its noted.

Many members are hunting with Night Vision and Thermal and sometimes with no moon and low FOV so I apologize if we all can't use a 50 caliber and shoot them in the eye.

To answer your question. Yes coyotes are tough. I've shot some up to 52 lbs. Id rather use a 25.06 but the the Night Vision equipment can't take the recoil. Id rather use different Ammo but I don't and already explained myself...So I started a thread to see what others are seeing with their ammo and caliber. I understand that "all" your coyotes die in the same exact spot/position that you shoot them. Noted again and that's great shooting.

I would like to address your comment (about another members comment) about not finding the coyote. Sometimes people shoot coyotes that are very close to thick brush or sometimes over the property line that cannot be legally searched. I recover 99% of mine. What I realized it is better to retrieve them the next morning because sometimes you can get the chance to shoot a triple or more... But this thread was not about finding them or how many you shoot...it was about how far they run after the shot...Once again I understand yours just freeze in the same exact spot you shoot them. Great shooting.

A coyote running 10 yards or 60 yards to some people might mean drt...to others it might mean poor shot placement.... I will think of your comments when I get out this week and pull the trigger on the next coyote. I hope they freeze for me and lay down in the same exact spot I shoot them. Sometimes they do, but sometimes they run...but we all know that all of yours don't move at all.

Some members on this forum are not hunters or in the sport of "calling" predators. They might be Farmers looking to protect their livestock or maybe have special permits to shoot coyotes all over the state and are not allowed to keep the animal/fur. But I'm sure these members care about the sport.

When you shoot one or two coyotes a week send me a PM and Ill note your blathering findings to the rest of the members.

I don't want to waste anymore time addressing your negative comments. Most importantly, welcome to Predator Masters and good shooting - you are the best.

Just caught up on this thread & glad I did...
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr BenelliJust curious of other hunters results...

I am starting to keep track of how far the coyotes run after the shot. Its crazy how far they can run and how tough they are.

I'd say 2 percent drop drt and the rest are runners...using 79 grain 5.56 drt. My average runner is 100 yards.. I find about 99 percent of them. I watch them spin and jump and sometimes lay down and then start the dash...I'm getting tired of looking for them.. As for shot placement it really doesn't make a difference (unless head shot)they still run...seams like the further i shot them near the rear legs the less they run.

Not sure about everyone else; but I find these #'s & comments in bold to be a bit odd... especially for someone killing 50-100 coyotes a year (1-2 a week). If I'm adding this up right... 49% of the coyotes Mr. B shoots run OVER 100 yards. That would mean he has had 14-30 coyotes this year (we are in the 30th week) run past 100 yards & he found them. It's hard to remember every one, but I can only recall ever finding one coyote after making it anywhere near 100 yards!!! May not be the best shooter; but I'd bet may @$$ he's the best tracker on the board!!!

In the whole thread there is plenty of interesting comments & disturbing visuals (especially from travis, although I agree with the rest of his thoughts) but I really think GC might be on to something. Now that I think of it, the coyotes I hit up near the front shoulder die pretty fast too.

I really don't like to count kills or try to show off. Never been that type of person/hunter. I posted it in reply to show a rude non-believer that some people do have runners so maybe he would understand I wasn’t full of it…or at least look at it from different perspective or at least ask a question before posting comment. Plus I felt like I was on the trial stand.

I don't want this thread to go into a dog and pony show over the number of coyotes each of us gets...Not everyone has thermal or can hunt all the time. I just intended it for others to state how far they run for you, your caliber and move on...looks like some people just want to bash others….I suggest for the non-believers …make your comments, but talk to other people who have thermal equipment. I can’t understand how some people don’t believe that coyotes can run after the shot…even with a good double lung or neck shot…deer run after they are shot, humans can take multiple gun shots and still walk.

But I can also understand the guy who might be skeptical and hunts with something other than my particular round, or only kills a handful a year, or uses maybe something larger than .223 or shoots them during the day and they all drop. …but I know a handful of hunters in my area that have runners too and they use different brand ammo but still .223 caliber.

Coleridge: Tracking: I am not the best. But I don’t quit easy. But here’s is my two cents… Finding a coyote after the shot is easy...you need to make sure you follow with thermal or nv immediately after the shot…don’t lose it in the scope, camera, monitor or whatever and watch where it runs or enters the woods. Plus with snow it makes it real easy...if you don’t have any idea where it ran or what direction then it’s a big tracking problem and can be a long process...that’s one nice feature of the ar - low recoil. Have you tried thermal for tracking? Plus, I shoot a lot from elevated positions and that makes it easier to follow due to large fov.

Doggin Coyotes...to answer your question…very close to 50...I do take vacations with the family, but I am retired. Some people with special permits and some landowners can take coyote all year. Since I have used thermal and other special equipment, over the last year I have been getting about one a week. I have gotten a couple doubles and a triple. So that helps with the count. Without thermal I really wasn't any good because I couldn't use a light on some properties. I was only working off the moonlight and a shotgun. I shoot 99 percent at night. I don’t hunt like the average coyote hunter… I won’t give up all my tactics…but I have a large cache of equipment in my hunting arsenal…I hunt in more than one state and several days a week. I’m guessing I can only keep at this pace til the end of the year due to limited land acquisitions and wife complaining about an empty bed at night. But I will continue to sneak out and take many. I have discovered it only takes about month for new coyotes (transients) to move into an area I have cleared out. From reading your posts, I am sure you know how much works goes into hunting coyotes. To compensate for new land I have been meeting new hunters and let them hunt with me. The deal is I get to spot and I tell them when to shoot. So far it has worked out with about two land owners/hunters. But i really don't like to hunt with others due to noise, safety issues and time restrictions. About 10 of my taken coyotes are from spotting and telling them when to shoot and most of the time with my gun and equipment. So I don’t want to mislead or upset anyone. Hopefully the ones taken with two man teams are allowed towards the bean count. I didn’t include foxes or other animals.

Originally Posted By: Mr Benelli

I don't want this thread to go into a dog and pony show over the number of coyotes each of us gets...Not everyone has thermal or can hunt all the time. I just intended it for others to state how far they run for you, your caliber and move on...looks like some people just want to bash others….I suggest for the non-believers …make your comments, but talk to other people who have thermal equipment. I can’t understand how some people don’t believe that coyotes can run after the shot…even with a good double lung or neck shot…deer run after they are shot, humans can take multiple gun shots and still walk.

Not sure why/if this will go into a "I shoot more coyotes than you" thread. However, I can tell you no matter how many you have killed (if it's more than one), having 98% runners is NOT the norm. On top of that, unless it is an exceptionally poor hit, not many are going to make it 100 yards before expiring.

Still I do agree you will OCASSIONALLY have runners that no matter were the placement is (unless its cranial). But again... it's not the norm from other hunters experience to have more run than not (much less 98% running a great distance). From my experience, even with a 223Rem, death runs are usually under 60 yards, unless of course they are only dragging a leg or intestines from bad shot. In those cases they can run quite a distance before dying from infection.

No matter what your using: thermal, night vision, daylight, sonar, or brail; if you’re having more than 50% runners (this would still be a large amount) something is bad wrong & unacceptable (change bullets, wait for better shots ,take better shots ). Yes coyotes are tough; but not bulletproof...

Sorry if you felt singled out or "on trial". You may be the real deal & "clean out" every area you hunt; but reading through your first few posts on this thread make you sound... well... less than that.

Also, don't sell yourself short on tracking. If you really kill that many & find 99% of the 98% that run... you the man!

Thanks for the comments. Lesson learned...looks like I need to explain things in detail or better.

Love North Carolina and the "Longbranch". Have a lifetime hunting license from NC. I use to live up near Virginia border...That's where I started hunting.

Field sonar works great!
lol.gif

Mr. Benelli, back to your original topic;
I believe it's your ammo, but understand why you use it.

As I stated, I use the Winnie White box 45gr hp, with good results. These light skinned bullets seem to be pretty frangible, as the exit hole is usually quite large, making me think they are coming apart upon exit.

As to the runners, I have noticed something.
I don't kill the numbers you do, but what I've seen is;
the coyotes I ambush without calling (probably 40% of my kills) are more likely to tip over with good shot placement.
Coyotes coming to the call have a higher likelyhood to run even with a good shot. I believe it is due to higher adrenaline, from the excitement of hearing and responding to the sound of distressed prey.

Back when I was a kid, when we ran deer with dogs, a buck was harder to knock down DRT, than the calmer deer that I hunt today.
You are lucky, no night hunting in bass-ackwards Arkansas.

Keep on killing them brother.
Talk to you later
Shayne

Last edited:
Sometimes they run and sometimes there DRT.. Mostly with my 22-250 50gr Vmax, their DRT. But tracking and recovery would be easier or harder depending on where you are..
It's easy to track down a shot coyote in the snow. (duh) It's harder in the knee high grass (again Duh) In AZ there is a lot of desert to track in and some is hard ground, which makes it tougher than in the northern part of the state in the soft dirt, which is almost as good as snow.

But Sometimes the shot hits vital organs and some don't even if the shot is in the right spot.

I had one that I put in it's chest as it jogged in at about 40yrds. the coyote did a face plant into the dirt. layed there for a few minutes, while i let the call play. It got up and ran off. well over 1000yrds.
I got up and went to where it was and there was a pool of blood, and a face imprint in the dirt.
I drove down to where i lost sight of it, picked up the trail and in the knee high dead grass spent an hour looking for it, and following the trail in cirlces, never found it.

I got a dog to help with this, because i didn't want this to happen again, or as little as possible.

People get shot in the head, and don't die all the time, that isn't poor shot placement, it just is what it is... Why would coyotes be any different.. They are just tough.

Back