How far they run after the shot?

Originally Posted By: Mr BenelliSometimes im in a very populated area. Safety. And when the neighbors dont hear any pass through ricochets I dont get any complaints.

Imaginations are incredible.

Travis

Originally Posted By: Mr Benelli

I understand what your saying...but I've hit them everywhere heart, neck, you name it... and sometimes they still run and die in the woods or brush...that was just one example how tough they are....the shot was on the front and opened up the entire underside...

I have hit them in the rear just before the leg and they roll drt.

Unfortunately, I can only use one round .223 and its a frangible for safety reasons.

Also, sometimes at night when they are running at full speed its tough to get a head shot...

Please, for the sake of people that like to collect fur, and for the sake of people that are involved in ADC, and for the love of Christ, stop pretending to do these things.

Thanks,
Travis

Originally Posted By: chewi004Last one I shot was deer hunting with the .270 in December. Hit him behind the front shoulder and he did a few spins and hit the ground.

I shot 2 with my bow during bow season and they both yelped and did a few spins. My arrows had little blood on them, but there was blood on the ground, and I never recovered either one (but I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking).

They are very tough.

That's some of the most scientific research I have ever read.

Thanks a bunch.

Travis

Originally Posted By: deflaveWow. I mean... wow.

There is so much wrong on this thread it looks like two d!cks rubbing together.

Travis

What you do in your spare time is none of our business

Everyone is simplying stating coyotes are a tough critter through their own experiences using different weapons and calibers...

Oh yea and thanks for your wonderful contributions to this thread

No, what people are doing is blathering about things they don't do. And if you think that's good for the sport of calling predators, by all means, defend them as best you can.

Everywhere I have hunted coyotes, and had good hits, resulted in a coyote DRT. What am I doing wrong???!!!

Travis

Must be a record for most post by the same person on one thread.Originally Posted By: deflaveNo, what people are doing is blathering about things they don't do. And if you think that's good for the sport of calling predators, by all means, defend them as best you can.

Everywhere I have hunted coyotes, and had good hits, resulted in a coyote DRT. What am I doing wrong???!!!

Travis

I don’t knowTravis, but I do know that if you shoot enough coyotes sooner or later you will have a runner even with a good hit using a proper bullet design and a cartridge to deliver plenty of energy at the distance you are shooting.

I have had runners with everything from a hot 17 to a 30-06 at some point in the last 30 years or so.

Just last night I shot one with a 17-204 and 30gr Kindler broadside at about 75 yards. Spun twice and took off. I was about to hammer him again when he went down after about a 50 yard
death sprint. The other 3 this week went down like they are supposed to.

Now if I could get my dog back to working like its pose to, all will be right with the world. Lol

Continue on guys
kj

As has been mentioned time after time, and over and over, shot placement is the key. Good grief, we are talking about a 25-35lb animal for the most part, aren't we, not a huge grizzly bear?

My 17 centerfires do very well when I place the shot. Now if I hit the liver, or heart, or hit a bone like the shoulder, guess what, I probably will have a runner. If I have a bullet fail there may also be a runner.

Bigger cartridges compensate for some not so well placed shots.

Interesting item for me was when I listened to what a guy named Cal, who is a very knowledgeable hunter and ADC man in WY said about using larger cartridges on coyotes.

If he calls in a triple for instance, the first one is basically a "give me" for him. He could use a 17 Rem for instance. But when it comes to the others that are now not standing still and running, usually away, it is nice to have an accurate strong bullet that will bust through the hindquarters or a shoulder socket bone and get to the vitals. I guess the same principle applies to tourneyment hunters as well.

Just to reiterate, I know I have had a few runners that I swore I made good shots, but upon recovery and really examining the animal, I realized my shot placement may not have been where I really wanted it to be.

Then again, maybe there are "Magical Coyotes" out there? I would guess that the more you hunt the more you are going to see some stuff that just might make you shake your head and say W-T-F just happened here?

"Kinda like Kelly just mentioned above."

Last edited:
Yes, but what you guys just described is hunting. To give the impression that runners and being unable to find coyotes after shooting them is commonplace, and simply part of calling predators,is not true. Not in real life, and not on the internet.

Travis

You shoot enough animals, and hunt enough, you will have a runner disapear on you.. Snow makes it easy to track but even then sometimes you loose one here or there. They don't even have to be a runner.. I have shotgunned a few where they dropped and i started calling again.. Looked back and the first one was gone.
It just happens.. As much as I hate to.. If I am not possitive it's DRT. I wait a few minutes to see if anything else is in the area, I shut off the call, get up walk over get the dog, drag it back, and then resume calling. A couple of times i get up there and it wasn't dead. I carry a 22lr pistol for just such occassions.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZYou shoot enough animals, and hunt enough, you will have a runner disapear on you.. Snow makes it easy to track but even then sometimes you loose one here or there. They don't even have to be a runner.. I have shotgunned a few where they dropped and i started calling again.. Looked back and the first one was gone.
It just happens.. As much as I hate to.. If I am not possitive it's DRT. I wait a few minutes to see if anything else is in the area, I shut off the call, get up walk over get the dog, drag it back, and then resume calling. A couple of times i get up there and it wasn't dead. I carry a 22lr pistol for just such occassions.

Yes. But do you attribute that to the magic tenacity of a coyote? Or to shot placement.

Because when I lose one, I blame myself. And I think all hunters should do the same, and I will be teaching my son and daughter that if they lose an animal, they don't get to say "Golly gee, they sure is tough."

Travis

Fact,,, no two bullet wounds are alike or can results be duplicated! This was found during the government testing for the selection of the 30-06 as our military cartridge, where they shot large numbers of hogs, goats, and sheep at ranges from 0-1000 yards, in all states of awareness, calm, asleep, or agitated, , wound channels and the animals reaction could not be duplicated to a reliable degree.

I have gut shot a coyote with a hit behind the ribs at 250 yards with 243 58gr V-max and had them DRT, with the same round I shot one at 50 yards uphill and removed his heart out his armpit , he ran 75+ yards?

Death is caused by one of 3 things and I like to relate them to the same reason your car won’t run, lack of electrical impulse from the brain to major organs ( no spark) lack of blood flow to the brain and vital organs (no fuel) lack of oxygenated blood to the brain or vitals (no air to the fuel)

So if we disrupt the fuel or air flow as with a heart or lung shot death will result at some point, at what point we don’t know for sure, as organs and muscle tissue may be oxygenated enough to work for a while and still have a elc impulse from the brain and in tacked wiring, disrupt the electrical impulse (unplug the battery with a brain or spin shot) death will result pretty rapidly, that’s a given. Anything else you may or may not have a runner there are no guarantees , that is a scientific fact

I don't know if this is a fact or just an observation... If I shoot a coyote in the heart/lung area with about any decent bullet and cartridge they tend to die pretty quickly. Some may drop immediately, some may spin a time or two before dropping and a few might even run off a short distance. But generally speaking they die pretty quickly. There is the odd ball occasional coyote that wants to disrupt the percentage tables and be a tough guy, but usually things work out as planned with well placed shots. On the other hand, if I goof the shot and shoot one in the gut, azz or through a leg they die much less quickly. I don't know... gotta be a lesson in there somewhere.

The head shots while running at night was my favorite.......
I am learning a lot here, so far.
I plan to buy a slate and call in my own this winter.
I will only use my saum after reading this thread.

Originally Posted By: the impactzoneFact,,, no two bullet wounds are alike or can results be duplicated! This was found during the government testing for the selection of the 30-06 as our military cartridge, where they shot large numbers of hogs, goats, and sheep at ranges from 0-1000 yards, in all states of awareness, calm, asleep, or agitated, , wound channels and the animals reaction could not be duplicated to a reliable degree.

I have gut shot a coyote with a hit behind the ribs at 250 yards with 243 58gr V-max and had them DRT, with the same round I shot one at 50 yards uphill and removed his heart out his armpit , he ran 75+ yards?

Death is caused by one of 3 things and I like to relate them to the same reason your car won’t run, lack of electrical impulse from the brain to major organs ( no spark) lack of blood flow to the brain and vital organs (no fuel) lack of oxygenated blood to the brain or vitals (no air to the fuel)

So if we disrupt the fuel or air flow as with a heart or lung shot death will result at some point, at what point we don’t know for sure, as organs and muscle tissue may be oxygenated enough to work for a while and still have a elc impulse from the brain and in tacked wiring, disrupt the electrical impulse (unplug the battery with a brain or spin shot) death will result pretty rapidly, that’s a given. Anything else you may or may not have a runner there are no guarantees , that is a scientific fact

great analogy with the car Phil! besides, if they could duplicate a shot after it left the barrel on a different target we would all know how they shot JFK by now.
laugh.gif

[/quote] great analogy with the car Phil! besides, if they could duplicate a shot after it left the barrel on a different target we would all know how they shot JFK by now.
laugh.gif
[/quote]

Yup regardless what they say there are no magic bullets just some that work better than others for the point of Impact.

my younger sister got to meet the them Gov Conley once, I asked her if she asked to see his scar or about the shot,, she had no idea what I was talking about I had to fill her in LOL it was about 4 years before her time

Back