How far can you...

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: Clayne_B700ish

Not sure I believe this... Seen too many of your videos to think it's not further than that!

Ha Ha, thanks, You know the more I think about this. If $100 was on the line I might want to move it into 500 yards. LOL

This thread gave me an idea.

Take 20 rounds and shot one each day from the same distance no matter the conditions at the same target. and record it all on video.

Good idea, but it takes 25-30 minutes to get out to where I shoot, so it is not going to happen on my end.
Still, it would be a great learning tool.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunYou also have the guys who think they are "pretty good" until a crosswind kicks in. Most of these are guys who can shoot respectable but not great scores under favorable conditions. Once the wind becomes any kind of a factor and they are not just worrying about elevation, their scores go to he11, and they start whining. At 500 yards they are all over the place, at 600yds they often miss the target completey. Many times when matches are held on windy days, they do not show up at all.

A good cross-wind will separate the men from the boys in short oder........

This is what kills me! I struggle a lot in the wind. If it is a very still day and I know the range I stand by what I said earlier. However, if you factor in wind and an unknown range I am a 300 yard shooter max.

With my 7mm Ruger, the cold bore shot included in the first 5 shot group will hit consistently to the same spot as the last 5 shot group of the day. This is the only gun I have that will do that. The others are mighty close, but not pin point.

I don't have a fancy rifle and was popping PD's with my 22-250 TC predator Venture at just under 600.. Ranges are tough to estimate until you get used to doing it. Open area's have things look closer then they are, if there are tree's it's easy to underestimate (personally)

I also think that there is something to be said for getting out and shooting PD's in the wind, you will find that bullets don't drift as much as you would think. I have been out shooting them in 20+ wind and have a good time with it popping them at 200-300yrds. It's great practice.

In all fairness, the original question was KNOWN DISTANCE IN OPTIMUM CONDITIONS!!! Do those conditions happen very often in KS? Not so much, but if/when they did, I'd take the bet with a rifle or two.

And [beeep], I've taken $100 bets on worse odds! Being from Kansas, KU and WSU cost me a heck of a lot more than that this year!

About 10yrs ago we used to have a 'buffalo shoot' side match at one of the cowboy action clubs I shot with (they still might, I just don't shoot there anymore). I'd shoot twice in two different categories, one with an H&R Buffalo Classic and the other a Marlin 1895, both .45-70. 500yrds, 1pt for connecting on a 3' x 4.5' steel buffalo, 10pts for striking the 8" gong at 600yrds, off of "traditional shooting sticks" or over the saddle of a fake horse (barrel laying on it's side on legs). No sighters day of the match. A few guys got pretty dang good at that gong on the 1st shot, even with the ol' punkin balls!

Originally Posted By: coleridgeWe were talking the other day & came up with an interesting scenario. I'm curious to see what kind of answers show up here.

With your best field rifle, known range & favorable conditions (good visibility, light to no wind, prone on bi-pods, time on your side); how far do you feel you can hit a 6" circle with your coldbore shot (no sighters) with a 90%+ confidency (you'd be willing to put up a $100 bill on hitting it; if you were a gambling man
grin.gif
).

Answers your questions about wind and known distance so its pretty much left up to you and your rig.

Originally Posted By: VAkritterkillerOriginally Posted By: coleridgeWe were talking the other day & came up with an interesting scenario. I'm curious to see what kind of answers show up here.

With your best field rifle, known range & favorable conditions (good visibility, light to no wind, prone on bi-pods, time on your side); how far do you feel you can hit a 6" circle with your coldbore shot (no sighters) with a 90%+ confidency (you'd be willing to put up a $100 bill on hitting it; if you were a gambling man
grin.gif
).

Answers your questions about wind and known distance so its pretty much left up to you and your rig.

Yeah that's kinda how the original question was intended. Seldom is there not conditions the shooter is fighting but "normal" wind here is diffferent than "normal" wind there. Just trying to put everyone on the same page.

I hear there is a place in Ohio that holds a 20 shot, 20 target course shoot (some guys already know what I'm talking about
w00t.gif
). Max range is 600 yards, all targets are 6"Wx9"H. As the record stands, in all matches (multiple per year); onle one man has "cleaned" the course to date. Guess that already answers how far most guys can consistanly hit a 6" circle in "normal" conditions there don't it!!!!

The difference in Camp Perry and this hypothetical bet is volume and stakes. There's a lot more pressure to bet on yourself to win in Ohio with 20 shots in REAL WORLD CONDITIONS off the lake than a 90% certainty $100 single shot 'ideal conditions' bet.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorThe difference in Camp Perry and this hypothetical bet is volume and stakes. There's a lot more pressure to bet on yourself to win in Ohio with 20 shots in REAL WORLD CONDITIONS off the lake than a 90% certainty $100 single shot 'ideal conditions' bet.

Not Camp Perry I was talking about; TVP. They hold a "head hunter" match a few times a year (it's scheduled 12 times this year, future dates still available). It's light tempo; small group of guys shooting together. Entry fee is like $30.... no payback. It's not "big pressure" thats keeping the guys from hitting them all.

Last time I did one shot at distance when I had a camera with me and clean target. It wasn't a cold bore shot, since I had zeroed the rifle at 100 yards.
It was the first shot past 100 yards.
I still didn't get the wind perfect, but good enough.
I was trying out a new scope.
750 yards with a 6.5x47 Lapua, using the 130 Berger.

I see guys talking about guess range, well that throws me out, I don't guess at anything over 300 that's why I have a range finder on the dash every day, have for 8 or 9 yrs and range a lot of stuff every day and I still cant guess ranges. without a range finder I don't even pull a gun out if its past 300

If we're changing the rules of the game and applying real world complications, then i'd back off my range pretty quick! No rangefinders, unknown distance, but still no wind? 150-200, since I'm generally pretty good at judging range that far, and most of my rifles won't raise/fall enough to be off the plate. I don't practice hardly at all at ranging beyond 200yrds without electronics or at least using a reticle. Might stretch that to 250 with a couple rifles, if it were payday.

Throw in no rangefinders and a switching west ks wind without a meter then I might be able to throw a rock and be as likely to connect as I would a rifle. I'm the first to admit that I'm spoiled by tech when it comes to long range work.

300 off shooting sticks..... I almost never go prone because a couple of bushes and you can't see anything and I never had a bipod.

.223 and 5x vx3....I bet a more powerful scope would help...

Back