How far can you...

It would be interesting to see how many guys can actually estimate anything close to 500 yds. I know out on the farm I haven't seen one guy who has came out to shoot pds even come close.....they almost always way over estimate distance and have no clue what 500 yds. looks like.

Originally Posted By: skb2706It would be interesting to see how many guys can actually estimate anything close to 500 yds. I know out on the farm I haven't seen one guy who has came out to shoot pds even come close.....they almost always way over estimate distance and have no clue what 500 yds. looks like.

Yep. And I'm as bad about judging distance as anybody.

Most guys really have no idea how far 500 yards REALLY is. It's a looonnnggg friggin ways.
smile.gif

Heck, 300 REAL yards is a long ways.

Go ahead and pick out that new rifle coleridge.
smile.gif

When I started teaching myself long range shots I took a target and coated it with the waterproofing spray you put on shoes to repeal water and hung it up at 500yds. Each day I would set up and fire one shot. Never more than one on the same day. If you have access to a range you can shoot at daily, do this for say 25 days and post your target. Heck record the date, conditions, and all on a pad and keep a record. I did this for almost 6 months straight, changing the target every Sunday after the seventh shot. My first weeks target was about 7" spread. When I stopped finally after the 6 months my targets had shrunk down to about 3" with some better ones being around 2". Coldbore is a different animial with most barrels. Some barrels have no change noticable at 100yds between coldbore and warm but try it out further and you'll humble yourself more than likely. I'm comfortable with hitting a paperplate at 800 yds coldbore in the right conditions, at the same time if conditions ain't right, I'll drop that down.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: skb2706It would be interesting to see how many guys can actually estimate anything close to 500 yds. I know out on the farm I haven't seen one guy who has came out to shoot pds even come close.....they almost always way over estimate distance and have no clue what 500 yds. looks like.

Yep. And I'm as bad about judging distance as anybody.

Ditto^
First range finder me and a friend ever saw was one of those old Bushnell's when they first came out.
We set around a fishing camp one afternoon testing our abilities and it soon became obvious that we both sucked at judging distance although I'm pretty sure I was worse than he was.
I'd guess a 400yrd rock/tree at 200, then turn around and guess 400 on 200 yarder. Didn't take me long to realize why I was such a lousy shot.

Originally Posted By: skb2706It would be interesting to see how many guys can actually estimate anything close to 500 yds. I know out on the farm I haven't seen one guy who has came out to shoot pds even come close.....they almost always way over estimate distance and have no clue what 500 yds. looks like.

you are so right on this.....

My guess is that range estimation and prevailing conditions between you and the target at the time of the initial shot would cause far more misses than shooter technique with a good rifle. And when you start taking 600 yard,etc., shots from a cold barrel, a 6" spot for an initial shot is not a large target even for a bench rifle.

My guess on the money: It would be like hitting a Vegas jackpot for you.

Since I have not shot much the last 4 months 500-600 yards with most of my specialty handguns.
When I am shooting on a regular basis, further.
If, I am shooting and intended extreme LR rifle (338 Snipe-Tac), even further.
For me, it is a combination of the amount of practice I have done and which rig I am shooting.

Probably 200-300 with my .204 or .22-250.

Haven't dialed my .25-06 in yet at any distance so wouldn't bet on it.

Sounds easy on the internet, but I keep thinking of those times I thought that 200 yard target was automatic, and yet missed.

Always easier on the internet.
Originally Posted By: SShooterZSounds easy on the internet, but I keep thinking of those times I thought that 200 yard target was automatic, and yet missed.

I am going to be conservitive...we have a gong at 600 yards at the club...its a little bigger than 6 inches, but we paint it up and check groups....my Ruger 77 in .338 Mag is solid to 600 but its a big heavy gun and it love to be shot prone from stix...my new to me .257 Roberts is still in the load development stage...but I would do the $100 to 450 with what I have so far...and the .243 well its a 600 yard star!

A few years ago I took out a doe at around 625 yds on the first shot. Hit it right behind the shoulder and it died instantly. Never took a single step, just fell over DRT.

I must say I looked pretty cool in front of the boys who were watching me.
cool.gif
But the truth of the matter is, I had ranged that treeline many times before, and had a real good idea of where to twist my turrets to.

When I shoot matches, out to 600 yds, the distances are always known, so it isn't hard to be on target.

When you get someone out in unfamiliar territory, that is when ranging without a rangefinder is most challenging. I'm betting most here who say they can do it consistently @ 500yds and more are probably not nearly as skilled at it as they would like us to believe.

JMO.......

When it comes to guessing distances, there are days I feel pretty salty only to turn around and be way off the next day or later on in the same day.
Ranging with a reticle I can be consistently better, but the smaller the target and the further the distance-Not so consistent.

So far answers range from 50 yards to 1200. That's about what I figured we would get (although 1200 is a little more of an asinine # than I expected, but he did mention a NightForce scope & a 300 something…). I set up the scenario with known yardage. If you take away that & no range finder, the (“true”) answers go WAY down. Guys with RF reticles could still do decent if they know what they are doing though.

I think a lot of guys get to thinking about "groups" (several even mentioned then in their post) & what they could hit last time at the range consistently (what the rifle is capable of). But do you remember the one or two shots it took to get “centered” & not on the edge? Even at 1200 yards, I have no doubt that someone can hit a .5 MOA target (.477 in this situation to be exact) but it would be lottery type luck to hit it on the first shot. One click up, down, left or right & you missed; even if the gun shot perfect.

A 6” piece of steel sounds pretty big (I mean all of our rifles shot ¼” groups), but you really only have 3” to play with either way when talking about aiming center… Now go back & rethink how far you can shoot your FIRST shot without missing your POA more than 3 inches. Don’t really matter how good your “groups” are if you’re 2-3 clicks high does it. I agree, a good shooting rifle is a must, but to be within 3” of aim at distance is strong shooting! Think about it. At 600 yards, your aim/dial has to be better than ½ MOA, even if you’re shooting a laser. Now add in the error of your gun (still assuming the trigger pull & hold is perfect). Does your $100 still feel safe?
sneaky2.gif

The guys that shoot a lot at distance: how many times have you seen your dope be 1 or 2 clicks different from one cold morning to the next warm evening? How much is your elevation “knob” off, going to other clubs/ranges (pressure/ altitude/ shooting angle changes)? Ever leave your rifle or ammo sit in the sun long???

I guess it’s unfair to ask the question & not give my answer… so here goes. I’ve spent the time & have some decent equipment. On my personal range (assuming I could verify in somewhat recent time before “the shot”), I would bet my with very high confidence out to ~500 yards with my best rifle on a favorable day. I am a gambling man & for $100 bill, I’d be willing to go to 600 yards (but there it starts getting iffy, & only if I'd shot that spot recently). I would only be interested in betting a cold adult beverage, warm tea or crumpets past that
grin.gif
. If the wind was up, conditions extreme, or I hadn’t shot that range/spot lately; distance comes down.

I have a few other rifles that shoot well. I’d be willing to bet I could keep 5 shots on 6” steel (after 1 or 2 sighters) a good bit past 600 yards with them; but I wouldn’t go 600 yards on cold bore with them, for something I wanted to keep. Knowing what conditions are doing to you & making the first shot hit were you want is much harder than shooting good groups.

Originally Posted By: coleridge

I have a few other rifles that shoot well. I’d be willing to bet I could keep 5 shots on 6” steel (after 1 or 2 sighters) a good bit past 600 yards with them; but I wouldn’t go 600 yards on cold bore with them, for something I wanted to keep. Knowing what conditions are doing to you & making the first shot hit were you want is much harder than shooting good groups.

Sometimes it's easy to recognize the voice of experience!
thumbup.gif

You also have the guys who think they are "pretty good" until a crosswind kicks in. Most of these are guys who can shoot respectable but not great scores under favorable conditions. Once the wind becomes any kind of a factor and they are not just worrying about elevation, their scores go to he11, and they start whining. At 500 yards they are all over the place, at 600yds they often miss the target completely. Many times when matches are held on windy days, they do not show up at all.

A good cross-wind will separate the men from the boys in short order........

Back