How can i make my .223 handi rifle more accurate??

I have one in .223 and it shot really bad 1/12 twist. Put on a Limbsaver Barrel Deresonator and went to 40 gr. Fiocci V Max. 1 inch groups/100 yds. Clay Pigeon at 208 yds. Coyote at 200 yds. perfect heart lung shot. Like Byron says "He was dead before God knew it."

That's digging up an old thread!!!
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleThat's digging up an old thread!!!
tongue_smilie.gif

PADDLES.......... CHARGING.......... CLEAR........Thuwuuummp!

We got a rhythm!! LOL

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Sheer boredom

Well then, I'm going to go and look for a 7 year old ".223 vs. 5.56mm" thread. It needs to be done.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: Snyper852 in groups at 115 yds .... nikon pro staff 3-9x40.

Not knocking the Nikon at all (I have several) but FOR ME, that's about as good as I'm going to get with a 9x scope @ 100 yds.
huh.gif
Now ... bolt a 12x or higher on there and I'd expect much better.
wink.gif

3x9 scopes are not to blame for your groups. I have a bushnell.trophy xlt in 3x9 and this is my grouos at 100 yds with it on my AR mounted with cheap $10 rings. the shooter can make or break a scope/rifle combo. thoes.grouos were prone off sand bags. thats the rifle and scopes top end potential with my handloads. not as accurate off my sticks but thats my bad not my equipments. as far as HAndi rifles go my experience.is very limited but there is accurate "value" rifles out there
20130821_161246.jpg

20130821_163721.jpg

Every Handi I have seen is rough on brass... If you measure the over all expansion of your cases, I think you will find the rifle to be on the excessive side in all respects. I agree with the others, send it down the road & get a bolts gun! or if you like that type action, look into a TC.

I had a heavy barrel .223 and a 204. I did trigger jobs on both and spent about 200.00 on loading supplies. At the end, I got 1 to 1.5 inch groups. I don't own either one now and am very happy about it. Don

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: Widow maker 223Sheer boredom

Well then, I'm going to go and look for a 7 year old ".223 vs. 5.56mm" thread. It needs to be done.

Chupa

Somewhere deep in pm's past, lies the first "is the hmr good enough for coyote?" thread.

Your path is clear to you now. The only question is whether or not youre brave enough for the journey.

Handi Rifles CAN be accurate, when all your ducks are lined up in a row just right. O-ring under the barrel, consistent placement of the forearm on the front rest, follow through with the heavy trigger pull, selecting the proper ammo...

I have one, only because I won a raffle. I never shoot it anymore because it can be frustrating. I was going to keep it only as a backup or loaner, but the trigger is horrible even after sending it back to the factory for a trigger job.

I would never buy one. A Stephens/Savage 200 is a much better deal.

Does your rifle have a heavy or sporter barrel? What shape are your groups? Stringing? The sporters are a bit iffy as has been stated above. Forend pressure is a big issue with Handi Rifles. The forend is held in place by one screw and it tends to cause vertical stringing as the barrel warms up. Two or three shots land together and then the stringing begins.

There are several possible fixes. First use an o-ring between the barrel and forend. You may have to tinker with the pressure to find the sweet spot. Bench technique is also important with Handis. They tend to shoot best when rested on the hinge pin rather than the forend itself. Don't forget to try other weights of bullets or reloads. You might also want to check the crown for burrs. Good luck.

Leon

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyIf he's still tinkering with that rifle and hasn't gotten it to shoot yet, he's one he!! of a patient man!

Chupa

Since the OP hasn't posted anything in the last 2 1/2 years, I'm guessing he's moved on. It's just the rest of us that seem bound and determined to solve his problem.

Just find someone you don't like and give it to him. I was lucky enough to get mine sold after wasting 1000 rounds of all kinds of bullets and loads.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8Originally Posted By: ChupathingyIf he's still tinkering with that rifle and hasn't gotten it to shoot yet, he's one he!! of a patient man!

Chupa

Since the OP hasn't posted anything in the last 2 1/2 years, I'm guessing he's moved on. It's just the rest of us that seem bound and determined to solve his problem.

lol.gif

I can't resist a chance to tell a Handi story. Had two of 'em. the first I bought was in the eighties it was a .223 and not a bad rifle. I bought another one in 2009 a .22-250 it was a total piece of crap. Was so upset about the second one that I sold both. Can't say I miss either one.

Back