Help me pick a bird dog breed!

Griffon's. Way more fun to hunt with than the retriever's when hunting upland. They want to be close and hunt hard. The number of birds they find is amazing.
I can't understand how anyone could bash the Goldens. Someone said worthless. Never had one that was worthless. My last Golden would retrieve geese with the best of them and flush pheasant from light till dark.
If you are a yelling, dog kickin, control freak don't get a Griffon. They don't need it. They just hunt.

Lab or shorthair, but do yourself a favor and pay a bit more for field trial lines.

They are more of what the breeds are supposed to be before show selective breeding starts breeding in the problems.

We have an 8 year old lab here on the property that our tenant paid $1000 for, he came from great field trial lines as opposed to show lines, he's got the longer nose and sleeker head than the blocky show lines. He's a way better dog than the expensive show lines my cousin was breeding for years.

The most incredible hunter I ever had was a German Shorthair that was pick of the litter from truly excellent field lines. But I didn't duck hunt so he wasn't sitting in a blind wet. That dog didn't seem to need training, he just seemed to know what hunting pheasants and quail was all about.

Long champion show lines seem to be less trouble free than the true hunting field trial lines where it's about brains and hunting character as opposed to looks.

Ended up going with a springer spaniel actually. I get to pick him up in about 2 weeks and I couldnt be more excited! Thanks for all the input over all this time guys, I appreciate it! Any springer owners out there with some advice?

Back