Gun Help Please!!

JDizzle

Hi everyone. I am knew to this forum this is my first post. Hopefully someone will have some info to help me out. I have a Western Field Model SB-712 series E .222 bolt action. It was given to my mother when she was 11 yrs old which would have been 1972. She gave it to me when I was 12. The problem I am having is the bullets are very very inconsistent. This past weekend I took all the rifles out for sighting in and @ 25 yards bullets are already tumbling and hitting the paper sideways but every 3 shots or so one will hit the paper correctly. And this obviously makes the rifle very inaccurate. There has not been more than 100 rounds through the barrel in its entire life. Anybody have any suggestions or tips other than changing the barrel? Thanx in advance

If my memory serves me correctly, Western Field was a Montgomery Wards' brand. Oops., just gave away my age.

What bullet were you using? Has the barrel been thoroughly cleaned? Find someone that has a borescope and take a look at what is going on inside. 30-40 years of inactivity could mean big time rust and corrosion.

BTW, WELCOME! You picked a good place to land. There are a lot of old guys around here that have severe problems with flatus gas, but ignore them.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes lol it was a Montgomery Ward brand. I, among many other experienced shooters have tried to sight this gun with no luck. We have tried a wide range of bullets. And yes the gun was thoroughly cleaned. And no visible damage to anything. Barrel shines like chrome on the inside. Thanks for the welcome!

Grasping at straws here, but take a good look at the crown to make sure it has not damaged, also what ammo are you shooting and how old is it. There are alot of guys on here with alot more knowledge than me.

This model was originally the Savage model 840 storebranded by Wards Western Field. I believe that model had a 1/14 twist and was best used with bullets 50 grains and under. 55 and larger grain bullets with a longer profile might not stabilize. The bore could be shiney, but sufficently worn that the bullets don't engage the rifling well enough. Have a gunsmith examine the bore and crown.

Might want to double check the caliber..saw a young guy at my club recently having trouble chambering .223's in his new Model 70 .223 WSSM. A brand new shooter probably helped buying his first rifle by a novice discount store clerk.

Really felt bad for him and suggested that he might consider returning his unfired .223 WSSM for something in a little more readily available and less costly caliber.

Lot of guys standing around and offering to help but I was the only one who looked at the caliber stamped on the barrel..well, I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express from time to time, LOL.

I'd have the caliber checked with a caliberation devise. Sometimes gunclubs have them or the gunsmith will. Nothing else have it slugged.

it has .222 stamped on the barrel. but that doesnt mean someone didnt have it re-bored (sp) out to may .223 or something. i will definately have it measured by a gunsmith. thanx for all the input guys.

A shooter had his triple duece bored to a 223. Didn't change the marking on the barrel. I'd do like the others say and have it checked.

Triple duece and 223 take the same caliber BULLETS but a different cartridge case. The bullet is .224 for both. If you doubt me check any reloading manual. The only 22 centerfire that takes anything other than a .224 bullet is some of the 22 Hornet's used a .223" bullet.
From your description there is something wrong with this rifle that needs a gunsmiths attention.

Last edited:
yes i realize that the .222 and .223 are the same caliber of .224 im not a rookie to guns and that is not what this post was about. if the .222 was bored out into a .223 the headspacing could be off slightly causing the bullet to not properly engage the barrels rifling. just trying to see if anyone has heard of such a problem or possible fixes.

Quote:
yes i realize that the .222 and .223 are the same caliber of .224 im not a rookie to guns and that is not what this post was about. if the .222 was bored out into a .223 the headspacing could be off slightly causing the bullet to not properly engage the barrels rifling. just trying to see if anyone has heard of such a problem or possible fixes.

all you have to do is look at a fired case and an unfired case. If a case fired from your chamber comes out fireformed to the size of a 223rem case,..you have your answer. If it is the same size as the unfired 222rem, you also have your answer.

I have never done it, but I dont think a .222 rem will fire form to .223 rem with out case failer. Something is causing your bullets to not stabilize [key holes]. Rifling is probably the problem one way or the other. Have it checked out for wear, damage, and rate of twist. Also you never stated the bullet weight you are shooting? If you have a 14 inch twist [standard], it wont stabilize more than 60gr, and it might not stabilize the 60's. So make sure you have a bullet weight @55gr or less for the 14 inch twist.

With the 50 grain and lighter bullets in a 1 in 14 you are fine. It just seems
like the crown is where to be looking. I don't know if a badly copper fouled
barrel or rusted barrel would cause it to keyhole but I guess it's possible. Sitting around all those years it could have gotten damaged and it doesn't
take much. If it's the problem a re-crown job is cheap.

Back