Fur - Mo - Van on the Road Again

It's cold enough this morning... and it's going to get colder. I'm only chugging down coffee, and doing internet today, while the wind and snow blows outside, as I sit in Luca's warm house. Lucas says the hunting will be good this weekend... I hope so... because I haven't killed enough dogs to say I'm a coyote hunter.

I've got the WILD HAIR for a 204 8-9 twist 26" barrel for my savage to shoot those 55 gr Bergers at high BC speeds.

Where there is a will... there is a way. I have the will at the moment... I just hope I don't lose my way and run off into a ditch...so to speak...LOL.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersI have a Caldwell Field Pod in the van, but haven't tried it yet... but need too.

If it is new to you and you have not already set it up, do so before hitting the field. I bought one for my wife and for taking kids. It works great once you get it adjusted. I was impressed.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersI sit in it just as you see it there... but I put one of my legs through the back, so that I'm facing backwards in the seat, so that I can use that quick attach back rail for a rest for the rifle, while calling... and then it becomes the rest for my elbows, which makes for a steady rest. Last year I sat it in like normal, and used the back for a rest for one elbow, but by sitting in it backwards, I can rest both elbows, which is the ONLY way for me to be steady. I can be steady as a rock, even for long long shots. It's not as steady as prone and a bipod... but close.

I took the cloth back off my chair, and made the back rail with a broom handle stuck into two 3/4 pvc elbows... which quickly pops off to carry with the seat.

thanks for explaining, looks neat

Yup, the missus and I will be there.

My real name is Keith and I'll be one of the bigger guys in the room. I'll keep an ear out for a southern accent.

Oly

So uhmmm Dan... I was just wonderin... Is it cold enough for you yet?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Rocky1So uhmmm Dan... I was just wonderin... Is it cold enough for you yet?
lol.gif
o

It is for the Missus and I! With discretion being the better part of valor, we are not going to risk the temps and getting stranded.

Hopefully I'll stop over at the Legion so I can meet you guys at least.

Oly

Last edited:
I had to make a run to cabelas in Billings today... can't believe I'm sitting here in -13 degree weather...and getting ready to climb into the bag... and will try tomorrow to make the 4 hr trip back to Luca's... which might be really interesting with these packed snow covered hwys going 45-55 mph all the way. I'm not sure who is the craziest... me, myself, or I... probably all of us.

I brought a good used pair with me when I left SC... but with this weather up here... I might need to have you guys send me another pair.... jewels that is.... mountain oysters... in this case... I probably need Montana Oysters.

But I love it... Montana... the place to be... I'd do it all over again.

Hopefully Dan made it back from Billings and survived the Terry Hunt. The furthest I ventured out of the house all weekend after I made it home Friday Night from work was the county courthouse for my daughters 4H meeting.

It's still below zero before wind chills are added and once again I'm thankful that I work inside these days instead of trying to get frozen, leaking aircraft into the air.

Oly

I'm sitting here at Luca's house, waiting for my van's oil and battery to warm up to see if it will start. It's been -20 - -30 for last few days, which made it tough on everything...but I slept in the van just fine...but it was tough rolling out in the morning.

I did make it back from billings okay, it just took a little longer, with those snow packed roads.

We didn't fair so well at the contest... we only got 1... should of had at least 4, but you know how that goes. All the teams averaged 0-3, except the winner with 10...WOW. But we had fun, and made some memories.

I guess I'll head south... I guess... not sure which way... we'll see.

I haven't killed enough coyotes to fill my blood thirst.

2 hrs later...and the van still won't start... may have to just make Montana my new home.

Last edited:
Well.... I'm at McDonalds and Walmart again here in Eastern Oklahoma.. for the night... after a week of coyote hunting with a friend in Western Oklahoma. I killed a bunch of coyotes and even a 26.6 lb Bobcat with my 204... my buddy said that cat would pay for my room and board...LOL. We used his FoxPro Fury 2 for the first part, and I ran across a deal on a Shockwave... which he bought, and he called in another bobcat with it the next morning, using BayBee Cottontail rabbit.

I did manage to take a few pictures, but not as many as I wanted too... I just got lazy in all the action and stuff. I even got lazy about posting... sorry Guys.

GEDC0178_zps090663d2.jpg

GEDC0179_zps9e406c5a.jpg

GEDC0180_zpsb2b213a9.jpg

GEDC0164_zps3d361634.jpg

These are Montana Sage Grouse sitting in the trees right by my van one morning.

GEDC0184_zpse47f3c2e.jpg

GEDC0185_zps52077414.jpg

I got a NEW WILD HAIR about two different rifle caliber/bullet combos, that I can't even sleep without thinking about them... and that's pretty bad when you think about rifle stuff more than your wife, after being gone for 6 weeks.

Anyways.... it's probably not new to most, but it is to me. I want two calibers built.

One... a 204 AI or 20-250, with fast twist barrels, so that I can shoot those 55 gr Bergers at screaming speeds... and... I have two other guys wanting to do the very same thing...ASAP.

And Two... a 22-250 AI or a 22-243, with fast twist barrels for the Berger 80 & 90 gr bullets. I really want to shoot the 90's with their BC of 551, which will require a 7 twist barrel...but a 8 may work as well. I can get my hands on a Bartlien 7.7 twist now... but I'm still in the thinking mode.

The whole purpose is too shoot light calibers, with heavy bullets, for fast wind bucking abilities... because the wind allowed a bunch of coyotes to live up there in Montana... and we just can't let that happen again.

So if anyone has any solid opinions... let me know... I'm all ears. thanks Guys... Dan

Glad to see some dead things, enjoy the rest of your trip. Suppose to be near 80F Sunday in SC.

Last edited:
Back