Fur - Mo - Van on the Road Again

Dan, I haven't been east of 83 on the Highway 2 route that Breeze suggested, but that looks really good on the map to me. I do know that you don't want to skip Valentine or Chadron.

Breeze has you headed in the right direction up HWY 2. Then it gets interesting once you get to Thedford. North to Valentine or west to Alliance or somewhere in between and north... Upland birds used to be pretty good in areas around Gordon and Rushville, but that was years ago. Enjoy

Dan,
Have an enjoyable trip...but be safe!!
I enjoyed reading your report last year.

BTW, is that the same van as last year?
(I thought you had a Dodge then?)

I can't give any traveling advice, as I've never been east of KC...and only north of I-80, in the eastern part of Nebraska (east/northeast from York).

I do think the route Breeze mentioned will be my route tomorrow.

I had a nice drive across MO on 36 from Hannibal... pretty country, with enough room for everyone to have 50 acres to live on. I'm here at St Joseph, Mo right now for the night. It's been a long haul from Clarksville, Tn this morning.

I could even continue to go across KS on 36, and then up through Hastings and into Grand Island... but maybe getting to hwy 80 may be the quickest for getting into those sandhills.

I love Missouri with their 2.75 per gallon prices.

The Dodge was two years ago... I had this Ford last year. It holds all my stuff...even my Honda 90... maybe
I'll use it this year.

Thanks Guys for all your help.

Jesus Bless You...Dan

Hey DAB... your right about Celebrating Jesus... that's my #1 desire. I got that van from our church last year, and love it being on there. I spent a lot of years going through life giving Jesus the finger and using His name in vain... but I finally woke up one day and yelled out towards Heaven and said...
Jesus...If your real...then prove yourself to me in such a way that I know it... and not just because someone tells me.

Wow... talk about liquid Love and Forgiveness all rolled up into one. I'll never forget His presence that came down upon me... it still makes me cry just thinking about it. He did prove Himself then... and He still does everyday.

I'd be lost without Him...that's for sure.

Dan, there has been decent coyote numbers in the Valentine refuge area. I was just south of it a couple of weeks ago and seen several with out even trying. This weekend would be the weekend before Deer Rifle season opens, also a bonus. I am headed to that area but have a pretty busy schedule already for the weekend. If it frees up I will contact you and see if something can be planned. I'm jealous and again enjoy "The Hills"

I'm in Valentine now, trying to decide what to do now... I could head towards Chadron, or stay over here and hunt the valentine refuge, which opens tomorrow.

Pm to you Loper

Hey Dan, glad to see that you are on the road. Would be neat to take the time for a long trip. I would have to pace myself for that long trip. As I said we gave out after 10 full days of non-stop hunting. Had a great trip. We will be back out there again the 30th. Lady messed up our reservations at the old place so we'll be in the next town. When you get up north run some of the waterfowl off so they fly south. We wish you a wonderful experience!
Tim

Originally Posted By: gonzagaDan you are the man. I hope you have a great time!!!!

Gonzaga... LOL... I hope my walnuts don't turn into raisins...

went to Cabelas in Rapid City today... nice place, then headed west, which has me sitting here in Miles City MT. Nothing to it, only 2100 mile drive... easy pezzy.

Saw a few Pdogs out sunning themselves, and saw a lot of antelope, and mule deer... Man, you gotta watch those mulies... they just cross the road like they don't have a care in the world.

I sure did see a lot of pretty country today after leaving Valentine, to here... pretty all the way, with enough room for everyone on the east coast to live out here on 100 acres.

Dang... I came all the way out here without my cowboy hat... what was I thinking... but I didn't forget my boot.

I also saw a large herd of buffalo, but I couldn't find a Indian pony handy for a good old chase like Augusta McCray did in Lonesome Dove, but it's probably just as well, because my coyote trip may have been cut short if I ran into some Indians and got a couple arrows in my leg.

Goodnight for now guys.... thanks... Dan

Well dang... I missed this thread earlier, or I would have most certainly have concurred on the 36 across Missouri route! I hate I 70 unless it's 2 - 3 am when I'm crossing there.

If you plan to ease back over the ND line to the National Grasslands for any hunting Dan, deer season opened this Friday over there, and you might want to wear Blaze Orange while in the field. Likewise, if you do, you can pick up a map of the grasslands at the ranger station in Medora. The maps show public and private land, which is a good to know where they intermingle.

Pay close attention to the weather out there Dan. I don't care if you haven't stayed in a motel in 3 years or not, if they start talking storms blowing in, go find a motel! Had one hit out there during hunting season back in the early 90s, stranded a whole bunch of folks out there in the field. Was 4 - 5 days before they got to some of them. Fortunately, it blew in opening weekend and most of the folks had enough supplies on hand to last them a few days. Although a few did get a tad chilly and a tad hungry sitting out there in their cars and campers, everyone survived as best I recall. Winter is nothing to play with out there on the plains, believe me.

Rocky... I will be watching the weather for sure, with one eye on the coyotes and one eye on the sky, I'll probably be crossed eyed before it's all over.

I'll keep all that in mind if I get to ND...thanks...Dan

Dropped off the radar! Hope all is well and you are busy wacking those yotes out in the open. I'm sure your very glad you have plenty of warm clothes.
Let us know how you are doing.

Glade your there but you didn't stop and pickup your pee shooter
wink.gif

Keep them walnuts covered with burlap and they wont freeze
wink.gif
wink.gif

I haven't killed anything yet because the cord on my electric pantie warmer won't let me get far from the cigarette lighter attachment.

I can come after that pee shooter anytime...just give me the address...LOL.

I've been hanging out here at Luca Smith's house, south of Glendive, since Sunday, shooting his super shooter 6mm at his gongs out to 1000 yds.. I hit it once out of three, but hit some of the other ones better. I shot some of the shorter ones with my 204 and 243, but his 6mm with 107's made it easier.

I'll probably be here another day or two, and then I'll be off and running... BUT... he is going to let me take the super shooting with me... bullets and all... WOW.

He and his gunsmith have been trying to build me the very same exact rifle the last couple of months, but his smith got delayed with personal problems... I may get it while I'm out here... we'll see.

There sure is a lot of country to hunt out here... more than I can ever hunt, and not the same place twice.

I gotta get after them coyotes soon, and start hanging fur on the van, or you guys will think I've turned into a tourist.

All for now... I'll stay in touch.

The Walnut/Raisin Man.

Well if it's any consolation, it was probably colder in South Carolina today than it was up there Dan. At 4 pm, we were a whopping 1 degree warmer in Florida, than it was in central ND.

I went out hunting yesterday morning for the first time, and called in one coyote on the second set. It was out there sitting at 770 yds... which was too far for me, even though I'm trying to get a handle on this longrange shooting. I finally got it to 380, which was perfect for me with Luca's super shooter 6mm 107 sierra missiles. I held on it's side for a little wind, and bang... it jumped off into the ditch... to never be seen again. I couldn't find any sign of a hit...bummer. On the way back to the van, I stopped at a beautiful spot to take in the landscape, but quickly thought I might as well blow my hand call. After 30 seconds I see a head pop out of the straw grass...it ranges for 290... oh man... I got you... bang... off it goes across the country...bummer... what is going on. I can't believe I missed two easy yotes... what's going on. I sat there looking at the rifle... wondering... pondering... contemplating.... and POW...there's the problem. Lucas had shot it Saturday at 800 yds and had moved the windage turret 14 clicks... but neither of us thought about turning it back to zero.

So Lesson #1... ALWAYS RE-ZERO YOUR TURRETS.

Saw nothing today, even though I heard two packs this morning...just couldn't get'em in.

But I'm love'n it.

Back