Fully camo'd rifle

whistlepig69

It seems that the new thing to do is get a fully camo'd rifle for predator hunting. I see that Savage now sells one that is fully dipped - with scope included. I don't want to give up my old rifle, but I think a fully camo'd one would help. Here is my problem. I have called the dipping places and it is quite costly to get a gun dipped. I also found some gun kits on www.camo4u.com which is a vinyl product that you put on. Is dipping worth the cost, or will it scratch easy?

I paint everyone of my hunting rifles. Many guys use Krylon camo spray paint, if you want to go that route. Otherwise there is always tape, gun sleeves, or the dipping process. Anything that can help take away the shine of a blued and polish finished rifle. I believe the dipped pattern does scratch, as any other paint would.

Tony

For about $12.00 at Wal-Mart you can get three cans of Krylon Camo paint and camo at least three guns with it. I have 2 shotguns and 3 rifles that I have painted. It is really nice not having to oil my hunting guns to keep them from rusting. I just put a little oil on the moving parts, no oil goes on the paint. It only takes about 1 hour to do the complete paint job. Here is a picture of my 243.
Christmas2005_0675.jpg

I'm in the process of painting some of my rifles. I recommend learning on something not so valuable. I have some scrap steel tubing and a 10/22 birch stock I paid $5 for that will get my test painting. I'm trying the Krylon camo on the 10/22 stock first, if I like it my cheap Marlin 917v will get a whole gun treatment next. My Marlin is also going to get my first attemt at floating and bedding, I figure if I ruin it I can get another stock for it cheap. Check the bargain bins, some stocks are in there at throw away prices, if not, Walmart will have a cheap BB gun that will work as a test subject /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

I bought and used the self sticking camo tape from Wal-mart. I believe it was $3.50 or so. When you decide to, you can take it off with no remnance of left on the gun.

While I have a couple of rifles that I like as blue steel and wood, and I've tried the more expensive DuraCoat paints, the cheap Krylon, Rustoleum, etc, will do just as good and is easier to touch-up if any damage happens.

Unless you are just looking for a reason to buy the new Savage Predator rifle.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif..and you have one you like to shoot and take into the field, I'd go for painting it yourself and if you don't like it, you can either change it or send it off to be done professionally.. Might save your self a lot of money and surprise yourself with how good you are at the same time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I was all ready to Krylon my new Remintong 700 LVSF but once i got it in my hands I cant make myself do it. I worry too much about messing up the entire thing.

Last edited:
Heres a couple of mine, nothing fancy but it does break up the outline. Top one is a 6x45mm and the bottom a 25-204.

PICT0032.jpg

AWS

The dipping process is beyond a "paint" job. It's a three step process and it won't scratch as easily as paint. It will scratch and wear over time, BUT it is most deffinately more wear resistant than paint.

Is it necassary. Probably not. Having more power under the hood isn't necassary, but it's more fun going up steep hills with a load on the hitch!

i'll say go with the Krylon kit from Wally World. i used Krylon primer as a base coat to ensure a good bond. than finished up with a textured spray paint to knock the glare off a little and add some grip.

Before:
Savage24F-12Hornet.jpg

After:
24Fpaint1.jpg

I have done the krylon aproach and its not bad but it really doesent hold up very well. It scratches very easy!!!

I just duracoated a gun its my first and so far the epoxy base seems much harder and abrasion resistant

The tape is a bad plan, to many yotes have lived to tell the tale becuse of the accuracy lost to that crap!!!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc299/Rprecision_photo/Savage.308MatchBuild122.jpg

ttp://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc299/Rprecision_photo/Savage.308MatchBuild096.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc299/Rprecision_photo/Savage.308MatchBuild106.jpg

Last edited:
I am putting together the funds for a Remington 700P in .308 and hopefully ordering it next month. I want to paint it sooooooooo bad but not sure if I have the balls to paint it yet...lol

I've recoated several pistols and a shotgun with Molyresin but that wont work on the stock of a rifle.

I too paint the majority of my varminting rifles with the Krylono treatment. Stuff lasts a few seasons for me before I have to touch it up.

Here are a few of mine that Ive done up...

Savage 12FV in 22.250
Savage.jpg

NEF Ultralite in .223
nef.jpg

12 Gauge
12ga.jpg

And the one I use the most now, an AR15 build. I put the A2 stock back on it.. the collapsable one just didnt work as well as I wanted it to with a sling.
franknar.JPG

Back