Found a den

Originally Posted By: ToddNEflintrock, as a rancher myself i noticed the same things you did about it appears the cow and calf both died during the birthing process and the coyotes just did what coyotes do.

I agree as well!

Coyotes typically start at the back end and work their way into the belly of the cow.

This cow has blood all over the front of the nose and the ground area which tells me it was dead prior to the Coyotes showing up.

Iithink brownie shot that cow in the head for coyote bait.
wink.gif

I have killed several coyotes around cows, but I have yet to see them bothering them. I have seen cows approach coyotes when calves are around. For some reason I can't picture a 40# coyote messing with a 800# to 1600# heifer,steer, or bull in good condition, but farmers tell me every year coyotes got some. I believe they were already down, before coyote showed up. Once drug a 2000# bull up the hollow after buzzards left, and he was never touched by coyotes only maggots.

Quote: Once drug a 2000# bull up the hollow after buzzards left, and he was never touched by coyotes only maggots.

Same here, but we found him before the birds did. Never did figure out why the coyotes weren't interested in that bull. OTOH, they frequent the ranch bone yards regularly.

Regards,
hm

You see coyotes pass on the tough stuff.
Really not sure about that one but do know certain medical shots given sick animals before they die will ward off coyotes. I have seen it a few times and the ranchers tell me what they gave it in an attempt to heal.
I shot a bloated one once and quickly realized I was downwind, it never quit spewing and seemed inescapable.

Originally Posted By: Carlos HalfcockSo when you find a den like that how do you destroy it or kill the pups? Just curious from the experts.

Grenades, lot's of Grenades!!

Probably cover the den, or send a smoke bomb and then cover it.

Not quite sure, I have never stumbled upon a den.

When I find dens every year I wait for the pups to come out and get a pic. They go on their own in a month or two and are easily hunted.
Some ranchers won't allow hunters to kill coyotes.

When I lived in Az, ranchers had vast expanses to keep cattle in. Cattle were brought in once a year for shots and get cow/calf in for protection. If calves were not rounded up by the third week of Feb, between the coyotes and lions, 40% of the calf crop would be lost.

Coyotes are just like people, some of us like lobster, some hate it. Some like Steak, while others like hamburgers. Coyotes specialize in the kinds of animals they like to kill and eat. Also, coyotes teach each other.

So, some coyotes will specialize in catching rabbits, mice, etc. When coyotes learn to catch a deer by the throat, then calves, all [beeep] breaks loose on that and surrounding ranches. Also, they may kill all goats and sheep in an area...they LEARN! After they learn, often, they kill just for the sport of it, and this has been proven many, many times.

Who ever thinks that a coyote helps balance out nature is very ill informed. A coyote is a scourge to the planet and it's ego system.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman A coyote is a scourge to the planet and it's eco system.

Some people say the same thing about me
laugh.gif

- DAA

Originally Posted By: tripod3If the same amount was spent eliminating coyotes as is spent on weed control then coyotes would be rare and special.

Coyotes are vermin, and will inherit the earth, some day. Probably sharing only with crows, ravens, and cockroaches.
If I found out about the OP, he would be banned from my place - and cussed/discussed with the neighbors.

I HAVE seen coyotes take calves, and also seen ravens take calves being birthed. Neither gets much "slack" .

Originally Posted By: jim87formula I didn't tell the rancher about it, which the main reason I am hunting there is to get rid of the coyotes and hogs but I think I might leave the coyotes alone for about a month or so.

What would y'all do?

I know if the rancher knew he would want me to dispatch them but think I am going to act like I didn't see them. Since I have been over there hunting they haven't lost any calves in 3 months.

There are many good points (both sides) in the thread and each member has their right to feel & do as they wish... However, it seems to me you answered your own question in OP.

You obviously know that the right thing to do is tell the Rancher/Owner. Keeping it from him is the same thing as lying. If you don't want to kill the pups; don't. If rancher or his hand wants them dead he can do it himself or get someone to disperse in your place.

A man has to stand by his ethics and I don't have a problem with a anyone doing whatever he thinks is right in the situation. But to me blatantly disrespect the owner/rancher for your own selfish wants is a much poorer set of ethics than killing pups. A mans word & trust is the most important thing he has... Not trying to judge or run you down. Just something more to think about. Is waiting a month so the (still) pups will come to your call worth your integrity?

Back