For You Beginners: A Guide to Voodoo (as applied to coyotes)

BRAVO, as one of the newer people here I really enjoy reading and your post was awesome. Great explanation on being there is where you need to be to GET THEM. Thank You.

Originally Posted By: Kizmo Trust me, you will kill more coyotes with a white light than with colored ones, because you will see them better.

Without even seeing or knowing where I hunt? I dont have a problem seeing them in the open with my red LED lights, trust me I can see them just fine. No light is gonna penatrate very far in the woods, your gonna see the trees up front and then shadows and then thats pretty much it depending how thick. Thermal is the ticket for that application as you know. I think you mean seeing them better through the scope? I agree with you there, but like a stated earlier, my eyes have trouble adjusting...esp those dark nights that i prefer..

Sounds like all your shots are pretty close in. Of all the colored lights I've used, I must admit I liked red the best. It does wash out the background stuff and highlight eyes very well. I didn't stick very long with green or amber because, to my eye, they didn't do those things as well as red and weren't as bright as white.

One other advantage with white, that might not apply to your situation, is that I'm able to place the ecaller pretty much as far away from me as I do during the daytime. When I used a red light, I felt like I had to place it pretty close in, because I wanted the animal looking in my direction so I could see the eyes. Now, I really don't even have to see eyes to see the animal. As you know, when coyotes circle, it's nice to have the caller as far away as possible. Now I can do that at night as well as in daylight.

Originally Posted By: bronco2do you prefer night time hunting over daytime hunting?

For coyotes, I guess I'd say I'd prefer night by a slim margin, but I've probably killed nearly as many in the daytime. My favorite time is the last hour of daylight and the first couple of hours of darkness. For bobcats and gray foxes, definitely nighttime. We don't have enough reds down here for me to have a clue.

I think the biggest advantage of being able to hunt at night is that it just gives you more hunting time. I frequently hunt weeknights after work. It's not a panacea. Some nights are just plain dead.

Last edited:
Kizmo, after all my family issues, etc are over, I'm going to take a short vacation
to de-stress and let you take me night hunting down there. I'll bring the shine.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettkizmo I think you should write a book about predator hunting or at the very least become a foxpro pro staffer.

Oh please no!

I joined this Forum because I am interested in Hunting Predators.

I believe the main point of Gizmo's comment was about how people treat new comers or just act like jackasses in general. Like many other Forums I have LEFT, several members came forward to prove Gizmo right.

Just because someone is new to a particular sport or whatever does NOT mean it is their first day on this earth. Like me - I am a Retired Army SFC who served over 20+ years as Infantry and a Forward Observer. I spent my time in [beeep] places where people shoot back (unlike Hunting).

I was hoping Hunting Animals would be relaxing and help me be around people (civilians specifically) and just have a better life.

But so far it is more frustrating than combat.

gizmo.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Vampire98I joined this Forum because I am interested in Hunting Predators.

I believe the main point of Gizmo's comment was about how people treat new comers or just act like jackasses in general. Like many other Forums I have LEFT, several members came forward to prove Gizmo right.

Just because someone is new to a particular sport or whatever does NOT mean it is their first day on this earth. Like me - I am a Retired Army SFC who served over 20+ years as Infantry and a Forward Observer. I spent my time in [beeep] places where people shoot back (unlike Hunting).

I was hoping Hunting Animals would be relaxing and help me be around people (civilians specifically) and just have a better life.

But so far it is more frustrating than combat.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotgizmo.
smile.gif

Welcome, again, to PM Vampire98. Funny how the very next post proved your point! Yes, it's Kizmo, not Gizmo, but no harm done. (Gizmo was actually the name of our first beloved pet as a married couple, so it's sort of like calling the dad by the son's name: not a big deal, and actually makes me smile at the memories, and it will Kizmo too.)

As for you Slicker-than-Snot, you're not.
I can't believe you passed up the chance to welcome a new member, to instead highlight an error.

Bravo to every one posting on this one and the OP. This is the Predator Master I sign on to read and participate in . Real posts ,real help , and difference of opinion with real words to back up opinion. Sarcasm and jest O.K. and fun .....endless cutting down and rigid ideas like sour wine. Helping others here is the main theme on this post and I couldn't be more proud of all of the ones taking part. Jim

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresKizmo, after all my family issues, etc are over, I'm going to take a short vacation
to de-stress and let you take me night hunting down there. I'll bring the shine.

Deal, but you'd better come during bobcat and fox season if you want to kill something. There's a reason you never see coyote videos that are filmed in Georgia.

Edit-thanks everybody. Welcome to PM Vampire98

Last edited:
Although this topic is not an actually hunting story, I do believe that it deserves a HOM nomination. This had to have taken a lot of time and thought to type it all up.

Last edited:
Back