FLIR LS-XR is here ...............

Originally Posted By: Insomniac100Interesting.

I was noticing the hood area on both shots. Was the second shot (with the IR Hunter MKII) taken when the truck had been sitting longer? I just ask cause I was looking at (comparing) the heat indicated area of the hood in the two shots. I'm assuming both were white hot indication?

Regards,

G.

These pics are different times. One is a scope one....one is a handheld scanner. I am just trying to show the resolution difference between a 17µm and 12µm core.

These were shot with an iPhone looking through the units. Please don't use these as some head to head analysis of either one. Just an off the cuff attempt to show it with pics instead of trying to explain it.

The difference isn't the 12 micron core alone you are seeing, The OLED screen plays a huge part in the contrast/sharpness you see to your eye. I've owned and used several FLIR 25 and 17 micron core systems and when I saw my first true OLED scope it blew my mind. The contrast/sharpness to my eye really improved the overall image.

Originally Posted By: Phantom223The difference isn't the 12 micron core alone you are seeing, The OLED screen plays a huge part in the contrast/sharpness you see to your eye. I've owned and used several FLIR 25 and 17 micron core systems and when I saw my first true OLED scope it blew my mind. The contrast/sharpness to my eye really improved the overall image.

I agree....I do not understand why FLIR puts LCD screens in their high end units.

That being said I just sold my FLIR T70 and it had an OLED screen. The 12mu core is the game changer.

The guy I bought my LS-XR is a very talented engineer and they also modify the thermal devices.

He told me soon, they will replace the lens of LS-XR with a 42mm lens and add an OLED screen and modify the Digital Enhancement. I will be going thru this upgrade sure.

Regarding the 12 mu core, he told me it is a good core but there will be alot of noise on the picture and needs a very good image enhancement software

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doublecheeseRegarding the 12 mu core, he told me it is a good core but there will be alot of noise on the picture and needs a very good image enhancement software

If that is true then IR Defense nailed the software, the image is so clear and detailed it will make you want to slap yourself.

Last edited:
Oh shitttt

I wish I could get one too
frown.gif

I think IR defense has great imaging firmware myself. I've always noticed even on the FLIR cored MK I scope using a LCD the MK I image has way above average detail/contrast levels throughout the FOV. Then on the MK II you add a high real quality 1.1 OLED screen to the mix and now it's even better contrast and sharpness levels. I personally think even if the MK II used a FLIR 17 micron core you would still have the great image. After all it's not like FLIR doesn't know how to make a good core. I have seen the MK II 35mm in person I used one a hour or two and hope to have one for a weekend next 15-30 days. Very impressive clarity.

Back to the LS-64 XR it's nice FLIR did add a larger screen however at the current price point there alot of high end competition there so maybe a real nice OLED would have been a better choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: Phantom223The difference isn't the 12 micron core alone you are seeing, The OLED screen plays a huge part in the contrast/sharpness you see to your eye. I've owned and used several FLIR 25 and 17 micron core systems and when I saw my first true OLED scope it blew my mind. The contrast/sharpness to my eye really improved the overall image.

I agree....I do not understand why FLIR puts LCD screens in their high end units.

That being said I just sold my FLIR T70 and it had an OLED screen. The 12mu core is the game changer.

Well this may not be a fair question, but how do you feel the IRH MKII is stacking up against the T-70?

I realize there could be many many reasons why you would sell your T-70, but to hear someone selling a T-70, is to me, a big deal. If a person was to sell something like a T-70 based on numbers (i.e. money), I would certainly get it. But if it was not a "money thing", and based more on performance, then that is significant.

I certainly don't want to get into your personal business. But, any regrets? After selling the T-70, are you filling that vacancy with the IRH MKII?

Regards,

G.

Originally Posted By: Insomniac100Well this may not be a fair question, but how do you feel the IRH MKII is stacking up against the T-70?

I certainly don't want to get into your personal business. But, any regrets? After selling the T-70, are you filling that vacancy with the IRH MKII?

Regards,

G.

It is way too early to answer your questions. I just got the scopes in over the last week or so.

The T70 is a very nice hard core Milspec device. I never had any doubts about it's ability to take everything I could throw at it and there was never any question about FLIR backing the product with regard to warranty issues.

On the other hand the IR Defense Mark II units are new and relatively untested. I am taking a chance and hoping that all goes well with these BAE cores. I have spoken with some people at IR Defense and feel confident that they will stand behind the product. If I didnt I would not have purchased the units.

Why did I sell the T70? Mainly because I wanted to go to a dedicated scope setup as apposed to using a clip on device. I purchased a 20mm Mark II and a 35mm Mark II so I expect that they will do everything I need. I can only hunt with one device at a time and it's just not economically feasible to have a very expensive thermal device sitting in my safe not being used so I opted to sell the T70.

I am the same way with guns. If they don't have a designated place in the scheme of things they get sold. I don't collect guns or optics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: Insomniac100Well this may not be a fair question, but how do you feel the IRH MKII is stacking up against the T-70?

Regards,

G.

It is way too early to answer your questions. I just got the scopes in over the last week or so.

The T70 is a very nice hard core Milspec device. I never had any doubts about it's ability to take everything I could throw at it and there was never any question about FLIR backing the product with regard to warranty issues.

On the other hand the IR Defense Mark II units are new and relatively untested. I am taking a chance and hoping that all goes well with these BAE cores. I have spoken with some people at IR Defense and feel confident that they will stand behind the product. If I didnt I would not have purchased the units.

Why did I sell the T70? Mainly because I wanted to go to a dedicated scope setup as apposed to using a clip on device. I purchased a 20mm Mark II and a 35mm Mark II so I expect that they will do everything I need. I can only hunt with one device at a time and it's just not economically feasible to have a very expensive thermal device sitting in my safe not being used so I opted to sell the T70.

I am the same way with guns. If they don't have a designated place in the scheme of things they get sold. I don't collect guns or optics.

Good info. Greatly appreciated.

And since this an LS-XR thread, I won't take us off track any further with T-70 and/or IR Hunter MKII discussions. In that regard, I also find it interesting that your returning the LS-XR as well. Although I do get your reasoning...helmet mounting and all.

Back to LS-XR discussions.

Regards,

G.

Last edited:
I just shot some head to head comparison B/H & W/H photos with the FLIR LS-XR and FLIR T360. I will post them later tonight or tomorrow morning.

That's good news. Is it true that everything TNVC sells is way better than the same product from anywhere else? And there for its worth waiting while everyone else already has theirs from other dealers? I'm just asking because I didn't feel that way when I use to purchase from them.

Originally Posted By: norbsThat's good news. Is it true that everything TNVC sells is way better than the same product from anywhere else? And there for its worth waiting while everyone else already has theirs from other dealers? I'm just asking because I didn't feel that way when I use to purchase from them.

Have no idea what you are trying to get at here but three years from now if I need any assistance with my purchase, they will take care of it for me.

Besides, FLIR Personal Vision Systems drop shipped my LS-XR direct to me overnight express right fresh off their production facility floor, does not get any better than that unless you have something better from some other unnamed PM Sponsor merchant that you deal with?

Hope that helps your misunderstanding some...

BTW, there is some great news coming down the pike for all FLIR RS Thermoscope and LS-XR owners soon too......

I have not looked through a Ls xr yet but I did get to use a ir hunter mk2 last weekend while in texas. I love my Ls 64 and do not plan on getting rid of it. It has performed flawlessly and I know flir cs is top notch. I will say though that my 64 does not hold a candle to the mk2 I tested. Image quality was light years better the detail and contrast had me thinking this thing is too good to be true. My hunting partner has a 64 as well, he never really gets excited about much after 30 seconds of scanning with the mk2 he looked at me and said, " Bo we gotta get a couple of these." I am torn because I use instalert 95% of the time and it kicks [beeep]. I don't know if the increased resolution will make up the difference for not having it as a feature. The biggest think I noticed when testing was it does not wash out at longer distances like my 64 does. We would pick up coyotes at 500+ yards that you could see plain as day with the mk2 and it was like they just didn't exist with the 64. I hope the patrol turns out to be a great product. Either way competition brings us better and better products.

Quote:[/quote]The biggest think I noticed when testing was it does not wash out at longer distances like my 64 does. We would pick up coyotes at 500+ yards that you could see plain as day with the mk2 and it was like they just didn't exist with the 64. I hope the patrol turns out to be a great product. Either way competition brings us better and better products.
Right on, my thoughts exactly.

Last edited:
Back