FLIR LS-XR is here ...............

Every Predator Loves the Easter Bunny!!!
cool.gif

Okay.....I got my FLIR LS-XR today.

I tried it side by side with the LS64 and here are the results. I have only played with it for 10 minutes so no need to ask me a bunch of in depth questions. Skypup will have his soon and I will leave the detailed analysis to him.

Just a quick observation. I cannot tell a big difference when looking at a general landscape so far but like I said this is very preliminary. I can say that there is very discernible difference in the "HOT" objects. There is a lot more detail in the LSXR when viewing the "HOT return.

I tried to find a way to illustrate it so I took a pic of my truck. As you can see the LS64 gave a lot more thermal signature but less detail. The detail in my truck grill is very evident in the LS-XR pic. (Yes I see the zoom icon....just go with it. It's for illustration)

**I am trying to show pics through the unit as you would use it in the field looking at the screen. IMO you will use this unit as a scanning device and samples using the video out jack take the screen out of the equation. You will be looking at the SCREEN in the field.

FLIR LS64

GhSXeKt.jpg

pxmKzRy.jpg

FLIR LS-XR

BXra6jU.jpg

tJzlTAh.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shurshotapparently you are using a phone camera rather than a DVR plugged into the LS-XR?

Yes. My iPhone. It goes the same place as my eyeball so you can see what I see. I will let Skypup shoot some analytical videos using the video out. I doubt I ever use it except to maybe feed a monitor at some time unless I get really bored.

Originally Posted By: Shurshotso what is your first impression? is it what you expected? worth the $$?

Way too early to give you a good opinion.....I need to take it hunting some.

I got by fine with the PS32 for detection but I was ready for a 640 core scanner. I am glad I waited, and given the fact that the LS-XR is the same price as the old LS64 gives it some merit on the value side.

fair enough. just weighing if it is worth selling my PS32 for and spitting out the difference. decisions, decisions... lol and then there is the IR 250 helmet mount in the mix. too many options lol

Take that baby out in the woods and put some hours on it, it is way better than the PS-32, although the new Scout II PS-32 is way better than the old PS-32.

With 4X the pixels of the PS-32, a nice 35mm lens, and continuous zoom up to 8X (difficult to hold still), InstaAlert and a WFOV, it is the bomb for night hunts.

Pretty much all I ever personally use anymore on my property, where I know where I am, are my LS-64 and T-70/RS-64 combo, one for finding and one for targeting. works simply outstanding for me.

I can't wait to get mine, especially since it has been on order since the Shot Show in January!

I am keeping the older LS-64 too as a loaner for friends, since two these beauties in the field at night is twice as good as only one!

I have a USB marine waterproof power plug in my UTV, but if you don't have one or want to be mobile for dozens of hours, get and Anker Portable USB charger, this is the one I've been using to charge up when needed, although rarely do I ever need it except on camp-outs:

http://www.amazon.com/16000mAh-Portable-...;keywords=anker

Hey Greatttt

Enjoy your new toy !!!!!!! I wish you alot of successful hunts !!!

Yesterday I was at the mountains and I shot another video. However this time the weather was quite OK compared to last 2 day's foggy and wet weather.

So I could clearly see better and farther with the Flir LS-XR

Here is the latest video I shot yesterday night. The weather was 3C , I guess it is somewhere around 35-36F and the sky was mainly clear and no wet fog like the other videos !!!!

FLIR LS-XR AT THE MOUNTAINS !!!!

The mountain video was good, you can see thermal signatures out past two kilometers when conditions are conducive, but it make for a long hike to stalk them down....

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseHey Greatttt

DC....I have a confession to make. I returned the FLIR LS-XR unit.

I have decided to go with the IR Defense Patrol M250 monocular. I am thinking I want to go to a unit that will be helmet mountable. I hate giving up "InstAlert" but I hope the increased resolution of the 12mu BAE core will make up for it.

http://www.irdefense.com/irp-main-price.html

Last edited:
I am looking to do the same thing Gman. It is a much less expensive option to the M-24 and it is smaller. I don't think the M-24 has Instalert anyway. I hope I won't regret buying the 1st generation of a new product, but Columbus took a chance too...
smile.gif

The M-24 does not have InstaAlert, just Black and White Hot and 1X, 2X, 4X zoom. It is the same size as my PVS-14s though and very light weight so makes a good helmet mount and is very very sensitive to heat signatures. I put a Wilcox Amber Filter over the ocular lens to decrease the brightness.

That IR Patrol should be GTG too with the Wilcox mounts, so don't worry about it. IR Hunter is a hard working company and some mistakes will be made but I am sure they are diligent about their customer service too.

FLIR is always GTG and the standard others strive to match for in the long run. If IR craps out, you can always get a FLIR to replace it.

The reason the M-24 costs more is because it is a hardened military contract specification thermal core and as such costs more to meet stringent mil-specifications. FLIR GS products are nothing to sniff at, they are all heavy duty hardcore thermals.

I am still waiting on my LS-XR from TNVC, so when I get it I'll compare it to my LS-64. The new LS-XR is not replacing anything though, it is another addition to my FLIR gear family!

Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: doublecheeseHey Greatttt

DC....I have a confession to make. I returned the FLIR LS-XR unit.

I have decided to go with the IR Defense Patrol M250 monocular. I am thinking I want to go to a unit that will be helmet mountable. I hate giving up "InstAlert" but I hope the increased resolution of the 12mu BAE core will make up for it.

http://www.irdefense.com/irp-main-price.html

Oh really ? What made you take this decision ?

Let me tell you something, although the IR Patrol seems very promising they only have a 19mm lens and as far as I understand 35mm lens of Flir LS-XR will show the farther easier than the 19mm of Patrol.

Otherwise most of us using the thermal scanners upto 100-150 yds to id and 300-400yds to detect. And upto 150-200yds Flir LS-XR is showing quite alright anyway.

By the way if I could get my hands on the IR Patrol, I would definetely get the IR PATROL 300 But as far as I understand IR Defense will not export out of USA.

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseOh really ? What made you take this decision ?

DC.....this is why.

FLIR LS-XR

BXra6jU.jpg

IR Defense Mark II 35mm

5f9rf2T.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting.

I was noticing the hood area on both shots. Was the second shot (with the IR Hunter MKII) taken when the truck had been sitting longer? I just ask cause I was looking at (comparing) the heat indicated area of the hood in the two shots. I'm assuming both were white hot indication?

Regards,

G.

Back