First Peek at the 22-NXS!!

Case capacity thanks to using the full length case with the shoulder placement being higher. We know that given more capacity at the same pressures speeds come up. Also with the NXS length you eliminate any trimming. On Ritch's 5X fired brass no trimming has been necessary.

You use the same dies and by doing that you don't have to hunt up Hagar sized versions that are far from common and are more expensive.

Greg

That sounds like a great idea.
So 22 Nosler dies are set up so they don’t size all the way to the base. How do you set up the dies? What is shoulder length in comparison to 22 Nosler?
What is case capacity of 22-NXS compared to 22 Nosler or the 22 6mm Hagar/22 Nosler?

(Now on the 6mm Hagar site it said case capacity was 37.5gr for 6mm Hagar brass).
Thanks for the great info.

Originally Posted By: old catDon't know if this will help you, but here are some speeds from my .22x6.8 polygon barrel Ritch built. 22-NXS may do more.

52gr hornady 3857 fps
55gr sierra #1365 3623 fps
60 gr sierra #1375 3475 fps
The only issues I have had are primer pockets. Six to Eight loadings before I throw them away. No splits on any casings.

What length barrel a d twist are these speeds from?

Originally Posted By: tcjThat sounds like a great idea.
So 22 Nosler dies are set up so they don’t size all the way to the base. How do you set up the dies? What is shoulder length in comparison to 22 Nosler?
What is case capacity of 22-NXS compared to 22 Nosler or the 22 6mm Hagar/22 Nosler?

(Now on the 6mm Hagar site it said case capacity was 37.5gr for 6mm Hagar brass).
Thanks for the great info.

I'll get you some numbers in the AM. It's about 37.3 IIRC.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: old catDon't know if this will help you, but here are some speeds from my .22x6.8 polygon barrel Ritch built. 22-NXS may do more.

52gr hornady 3857 fps
The only issues I have had are primer pockets. Six to Eight loadings before I throw them away. No splits on any casings.

This is in the first post. 20" 8 twist.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: old catDon't know if this will help you, but here are some speeds from my .22x6.8 polygon barrel Ritch built. 22-NXS may do more.

52gr hornady 3857 fps

Greg

I was asking Old Cat what length his 22x6.8 bbl was that he posted speeds from. I know Ritch is running a 20".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: old catDon't know if this will help you, but here are some speeds from my .22x6.8 polygon barrel Ritch built. 22-NXS may do more.

52gr hornady 3857 fps

Greg

I was asking okc car what length his 22x6m8 bbl was that he posted speeds from. I know Ritch is running a 20".

That'll teach me to chow down on burritos and do Internet at the same time. I can't wait to see what Ritch gets out of some different powders.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: old catDon't know if this will help you, but here are some speeds from my .22x6.8 polygon barrel Ritch built. 22-NXS may do more.

52gr hornady 3857 fps

22 inch barrel on .22x6.8 1in 8 twist

Last edited:
I checked my numbers, NXS from Ritch. I see 22 Nosler at 36.89 the 22 NOSGAR at 35.78 and the NXS at 37.2.

The Nolser brass is uber-thin as seen on cross section and that's where they make up for the honking tall case head rebated rim. The Hagar brass is thick as heck in the walls and base and that' why the NOSGAR is actually a tad smaller than the original Nosler.

The Nosler is running per SAAMI at 55,000 and is showing lost pockets early on by most shooters that push it. The Hagar stuff is going not really rated but 57,000 - 57,500 is a comfortable area based on our testing with the OLD SSA 6.8 we have run testing on. That extra pressure pays off up in the top when you team it with even a small amount of increase in capacity. I think the military calls it a force multiplier.

I am looking forward to seeing what I can get with the extra 4" of barrel. The 22" 22X6.8 is a bit slower than Ritch's 20" that he has not pushed hard yet and with a powder change his will step up even more.

Greg

Thanks for quick reply GL Shooter. Great info. Nice case capacity boost.
I see on another post you use ASC Grendel magazines. Does the 25 rd. ASC Grendel feed well? I like the price and 2.316” nominal cartridge length.
Can you share your experiences with these magazines, 5rd, 10 rd., 25 rd, and how you go about making a slot for even longer OAL? What is the maximum length of cartridge you can feed reliably after you have cut a slot in magazine?

Looking forward to see data on your 24” barrel.
Thanks.

I have been using 5-10-15 rounders without it issue. I have not tried my bigger ones. Ritch says he's going to try the 6.8's because of rib placement. I'll order a couple if he sees any benefit.

We figured how to cut them by looking at the Hagar windowed mags from Creedmoor. Keystone also sells them. GOOGLE search on images will give you some ideas. You can cut them down to eight rounds but five or six is a good plenty.

You can usually get 2.4 in your mag well. Ritch has a custom lower made for him that is 2.45 that he has produced. I really like mine as it's a billet that matches his uppers.

Greg

Thanks again. Great information. Where can you buy a lower receiver that allows 2.45” cartridge length? What is the cost?

Again looking forward to hearing how your 24” 22 NXS barrel performs.

Originally Posted By: tcjThanks again. Great information. Where can you buy a lower receiver that allows 2.45” cartridge length? What is the cost?

Again looking forward to hearing how your 24” 22 NXS barrel performs.

Ritch's Precision....that black banner on the bottom of every reply that greg makes.

Thanks. I went to Rich’s Precision and it wasn’t listed or mentioned on site. I called Rich and he is no longer making
Those lowers that do 2.45”

Last edited:
I am told literally they need to get wrinkles out of this new product. Back in stock. Thanks GL Shooter.

Last edited:
Back