Fathers day special..............Again.........

Originally Posted By: BowknuttI still loving my SD....

Good looking stick Jeff...But whats up with the smirk in pic2--did you squeeze that pup till he pooted on you.
tt2.gif

David

Trying to hold the dog & balance the gun in my lap for the picture...
lol.gif

Scott was the bearer of bad news last night. It was a long night playing with my new .17 Remington bull barrel flat top. Had to get it set up so that I can sight it in tomorrow.

Here is the upper with a scope mounted on it before I started painting it;

Newbarerifle.jpg

Newbarerifle2.jpg

Here the rifle is in the painting process;

New base coat
Newriflebasecoat.jpg

With the first layer of green pattern on
Newriflewithgreen.jpg

Here it is with its final layer of texture on it, ready for the range

Gunwithtexture.jpg

Newriflewithtexture.jpg

Hopefully all goes well at the range, and I will be able to post pics of the sight in results.

Made it out to the range today, lots of people at the public range, so I didn't get to spend as much time getting to know my new gun as I would like, but I did get it sighted in, and it shows a lot of promise in the future when I get the time to work with the gun the way it deserves.

I only had a spare 2-7X scope sitting around to mount to it, it is a Pine Ridge. I sighted in at 27 yards to get on paper, then went out to 50 and out to 100 yards.

First target, 27 yards, 5 groups, 25gr Hornady HP, biggest group .979 in, best group .378
Sightin1.jpg

Second target, 27 yards, .340 in
Sightin2.jpg

Third target, 20 gr Accu-tip, 27 yards, .452 in
Sightin3.jpg

Fourth target, 50 yards, the top group is with the 27 yard zero, it measured 1.062, with two groups there. The lower group is after adjusting elevation to 50 yards. The group measures .786 in. The gun was shooting 2.542 in high between 27 and 50 yards.
Sightin4.jpg

Fifth target 50 yards, with 50 yard zero, shooting at 2X, group measured .620 in
Sightin5.jpg

Last target, moved it back to 27 yards since that is where I get a lot of foxes and bobcats, with the 50 yards zero, shooting at 2X, group measures .355 in. It is shooting 1.12 in low
Sightin6.jpg

I think she is ready to go for the morning. Hopefully the weather holds, so I can hang some fur with this new baby. Great job again Scott, thanks buddy.

I think so. I am going to blame the loose groups on the meat sack behind the bang switch. We took the rifles out today, Steve ended up getting a fox with his 24in .223, but we did some test shots into the fox carcass after we skinned it. The .17 Remington is an IMPRESSIVE little cartridge. It devastated the carcass. I am not sure if that is a result of the factory ammo, or what, but the results were amazing. We might have to look at working up a handload that might be a little more fur friendly. I will reserve my final opinion until I hit a fox or a bobcat with it.

Here are some pics of the rifle in the bush, checking the cam job.

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

As if any of you needed any more reassurance that you are making a good choice going with an SD, here are the results from this weekend. Finally blooded my new .17rem SD, I couldn't be happier. I dressed up the paint a bit, used a sponge this time to add some patterning, and was able to put down to foxes. The first was a one shot DRT, the second took two. I made a poor shot on the first, but redeemed myself on the second. I don't mean to tease you, but you will all have something special to look forward to shooting.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

Thanks gys, but it looks like I may have pushed a little too far today, in an effort to get a few more foxes with the new SD. Went out today, saw one fox, but only got a look, no shot, then as I pushed deeper into the rocky hills, we went a little too far. In an effort to get down to a really good looking river bottom, we had to ride our motorcycles down a serious incline. We reached the bottom after only a few crashes, only to find that it was posted private property. We had to turn back, and on the ensuing climb, we had several wipeouts resulting in a smashed face, and a serious bump to the shin. Oh well, we can get them next time, can't win them all. Hope to put up some new fur pics soon.

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

Hey Mo, how do you pack your rifle when you ride? I have been wanting to use my bike to get back into the deep places but have only brave enough to carry my pistol when I trail ride.

FYI...they make these really cool things called helmets and pads...
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatHey Mo, how do you pack your rifle when you ride? I have been wanting to use my bike to get back into the deep places but have only brave enough to carry my pistol when I trail ride.

FYI...they make these really cool things called helmets and pads...
w00t.gif

I actually had both a helmet and knee pads on. The clutch lever came in over my face protector right under my goggles, and I guess the rocks just pushed the knee pad out of the way.

I use an Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 backpack. They are expensive, but they are VERY well made, and they have a gun scabbard made into the pack. The Gunslinger 2 is made so that you can carry your gun either muzzle, or stock down which is why I went with it over the other models which were muzzle down designs. They have a great strap system, and have a lot of versatile models. I would definitely recommend them. With my scabbard rolled up my 18in AR sits so that the barrel is below my helmet, lowering the chance of it getting snagged. If I unroll the scabbard, the gun is totally recessed into the scabbard. It also comes with a hood that fits over the muzzle to protect it. Overall it is the best that I have found.

the longer barrels are due in anytime now, 22in 17's, 22in .264's, 20in 223's.

Richards, pm me i dont have 223's or 17's, but a couple of 204rugers at a good price.

Back