Effects from dogs running coyotes in your areas

Originally Posted By: bgtmeSo, should we stay out of that block,even though all the landowners,except one doesn't want us to hunt?
If thats the case,can I even turn the dogs loose on my own property,if someone lives in the same section that doesn't like houndsmen?
If not,it kinda seems to me like that particular land owner has more say over my land than I do.Doesn't it?

Thats the attitude that gives all hunters a bad name. So that landowner should just shut up and go away? Your dogs would have a serious problem on my property. What kind of arrogance tells a landowner "too bad"?...lol....what a piece of work

Originally Posted By: jbmaster You asked originally if this would affect them.I'd say it has to.If you do anything to interrupt an animals daily life,they react.How is anybody's guess.I know that deer and turkey will react different when something disturbs them.As smart as coyotes are,they must behave different.But you would have to be able to watch a coyote from a distance and see what his pattern was originally.Probably not many have watched a specific coyote,like we would a trophy deer.

Exactly..Anything that puts pressure on a coyote will make them more difficult to call..deer hunters, rabbit hunters, bird watchers, running hounds. All will make a coyote less apt to commit to a call..The worst thing though, Hands down is sloppy calling technique. I don't have houndsman in my area but would rather have them than a bunch of bad callers.

Originally Posted By: hickerx2 What kind of arrogance tells a landowner "too bad"?...lol....what a piece of work

I'm gonna call foul on this one. BGTME had a valid point there. To turn your statement around on you what gives you the right to tell fellow hunters and possible neighbors "too bad" and that they can't hunt the LEGAL way they choose on property not owned by you fro fear that a dog may run across your property.. Around here it's hard to find a section that doesn't have at least one acreage (2-5 acres) on it in lieu of a farm. These acreages are usually inhabited by former city folk with many not ever being exposed to hunting. Should I not hunt that whole section because my dog may run thru their yard? And don't tell me a coyote don't ever cut thru a farmyard I've seen it more times than I can count.

As far as your "dog having a serious problem" comment I find that way way over the line and personally think you should either retract it or explain your thinkin here.

For your comment that callin won't effect deer in adjoining areas you are sadly mistaken on that one too. I've called and scared far more deer than coyotes. They'll comes to a call, stand and look or run the other way. A dog might dislocate a deer but a dog covers and disturbs far less ground than a call.

CB

[/quote]

Thats the attitude that gives all hunters a bad name. So that landowner should just shut up and go away? Your dogs would have a serious problem on my property. What kind of arrogance tells a landowner "too bad"?...lol....what a piece of work [/quote]

that comment sounds like it`s straight from and anti or a whinny [beeep] callers mouth. it`s the people with 2 acres that always complain when a hound runs thru their property and it`s surround by 600 arces that are allowed to be run on.too threaten someones hounds is nothing more than a childish act by a jealous caller. your the kind of person that make me want to bay a yote up on your front porch and there`s nothing you could do about, except sit there and pout.

sorry, duane, but it had to be done.

Originally Posted By: killcoyotes

Thats the attitude that gives all hunters a bad name. So that landowner should just shut up and go away? Your dogs would have a serious problem on my property. What kind of arrogance tells a landowner "too bad"?...lol....what a piece of work [/quote]

that comment sounds like it`s straight from and anti or a whinny [beeep] callers mouth. it`s the people with 2 acres that always complain when a hound runs thru their property and it`s surround by 600 arces that are allowed to be run on.too threaten someones hounds is nothing more than a childish act by a jealous caller. your the kind of person that make me want to bay a yote up on your front porch and there`s nothing you could do about, except sit there and pout.

sorry, duane, but it had to be done. [/quote]

Well said!
thumbup.gif

Tim

Last edited:
You all know what I think about "dog killers"
They seem to have a "free pass" to brag some places, but,in the hound forum they will get diff point of view.
I want to make my "position" very clear, on running dogs.
I will only "turn out", on ground I have permission to do so, if my dogs get onto a 2 acre piece in the middle of a section,or 10 sections, I will do my best to catch my dogs.
I have caught a lion in a hay shed, a bear in a horse barn, and many yotes, and coons in places they shouldn't be.
Luckily here the law is on the side of the dogman.

By law in this state "Any dogman can recover dogs from any property, regardless of public, or private.They may not however harvest any animal on property they may not legally hunt".
That sounds fair to me, and I follow that law.
There is also something called "interpretation of the officer" Which means if called, a "Game Cop" (whatever you call them) decides who is right, or wrong, then you go to court to fight it.
He is a little story that some of you have heard on the phone, there is a lesson to be learned here, so I'll share it with everyone.This happened a few weeks ago.
After working cattle all day I got a call from a "neighbor", he stated there was a 200# hog in my bull pen.I loaded 5 dogs, and headed that way, when I got by the tank, a dog "opened", I turned the dogs loose.
300 yrds later my dogs caught the hog, but the hog had crossed the fence, and was on a "neighbors ground".
I stuck the hog with my pocket knife, and just then a very angry man started running at me from a house 200 yards away.
He claimed the pig was his "pet".(The pig had cutters,and was started on my ground)
He threatened to shoot me and my dogs. I told him that would be a "bad idea", and told my dogs to load up, and hauled a$$ right behind them for my pickup.
Who was right, who was wrong??????????
After the Sheriffs Dept, sent two Deputies out here at 8pm two days later, It was decided I was in the right. I turned out on my ground, and had every right to kill the hog that was destroying my property, even though it "made the fence".
There is alot more to this story, but those are the highlights.
Here is the lesson, jackwads will threaten to shoot dogs, even if by law they are wrong. They want to " the law, until it doesn't suit them, then they wanna shoot our dogs cause it makes them feel "special".
I promise the guy that shot Spotlight last spring feels real "special."
Nuff said. Good luck and be safe.

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssu and just then a very angry man started running at me from a house 200 yards away.
He claimed the pig was his "pet".(The pig had cutters,and was started on my ground)
He threatened to shoot me and my dogs.

I'd say if he thought that strongly about his "pet" pig he might have thought to take care of it and contain it.

Or maybe we should all let our pitbulls runaround however they want?

Any chance that "neighbor" is from a large (blue) metropolitain area recently relocated?

Were I in the jury you were in the right easily.

The pig was out of the same bunch of hogs that I been killing all summer, just this pig figured out that the guy would feed it table scraps every day. So in his mind it was his "pet".
The logic of his thinking escapes me.

Duane, after hearing the whole story and knowing some background on what happened. I believe your were in the right in taking care of all those pigs(including the last one). I just hope one of these days I'll be up there and we can get the chance to run a wild hog. I'd sure love to stick a pig over your dogs!! Maybe even whiskey could join in.

Hickerx2,glad I laid back and let other people post about your comment.
After making a statement like that,it speaks VOLUMES about your character.Some on here will have the same opinion,but I think you'll find yourself in a very small minority.
I guess each member on here can evaluate your statement,and decide for him or herself.
As far as threating a dog,you probably need to leave this forum,and find some kind of innocent dog hater site.It would probably suit you better.Because right now, you're sticking out like a couple of gay guys that just walked in to a biker bar.
10-4?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: killcoyotes

LOL...you further illustrate my point about "arrogance"

I could care less if dogs are run in an area that I hunt. I suck anyways and probably have ruined more spots myself calling than any dog hunters ever will, if there is even a problem with calling after the dogs have been through, which I doubt.

Here is the issue. Like the O.P. I live in an area where the average person owns 50, maybe 100 acres. SOME (because these are the ones that are seen) drop the dogs on property they have permission and let them run miles of property that they have not idea who owns it. "The dogs can't read" is lame and getting old. Guys release the dogs knowing and that they are going to run over over 50 pieces of private property. Then truck loads of guys line up on whatever road they think they are going to cross, all of private property, and then shoot the coyote when it gets to the road. How can you do that without shooting from the road, which is illegal, or stepping off the road on to private property and trespassing, to shoot. Either way you are a crimninal.

In my area it seriously pissing people off and there are constant confrontations with truck loads of guys lining the roads adjacent to private property. I hold nothing against a dog guy that can properly utilize his dogs. Letting em loose with the intention that you will not be trespassing and they happen to go across private proerty is one thing. Letting them loose with the knowledge and intention that you are going to trespass and not give a crap is a completely different thing. Telling the property owner that complains that the dogs can't read is ridiculous and makes you sound like you can't either. It is lame and irresponsibe.

If you can hunt your dogs properly on vast tracts of public property, or gigantic ranches, then have at it and have fun. I would love to go sometime to try it. If you hunt like I described then you are an intentional criminal. There is no way to defend such behavior and anyone who would even try is wasting air even talking, or expending the energy to type.

Last thing of my long winded response...to equate calling to a dog running over someones property is laughable at best and such a convolution of logic that it is actually sad to think that a responsible adult could come up with such a notion.

Matt, no offense intended to you, or any other responsible and law abiding houndsmen. You are all fellow sportsman and even though I don't run hounds, I will defend your right to hunt as you wish the same as I will my own. However, I can not and will not defend criminal and irresponsible behavior.

Originally Posted By: Chris_Brice I'm gonna call foul on this one. BGTME had a valid point there. To turn your statement around on you what gives you the right to tell fellow hunters and possible neighbors "too bad" and that they can't hunt the LEGAL way they choose on property not owned by you fro fear that a dog may run across your property.. Around here it's hard to find a section that doesn't have at least one acreage (2-5 acres) on it in lieu of a farm. These acreages are usually inhabited by former city folk with many not ever being exposed to hunting. Should I not hunt that whole section because my dog may run thru their yard? And don't tell me a coyote don't ever cut thru a farmyard I've seen it more times than I can count.

As is the norm, you "dog guys" are so ready to pounce that you don't even read what was posted. I clearly stated that "incidental" trespassing was not my concern and that "we all know how that can happen". I guess you missed that part too. I don't own "2-5 acres", I own hundreds of acres. My complaint is and always was the guys that turn dogs loose on one of those "2-5" acre pieces where they get permission, with the sole intention of running the coyotes on MY property. My original post and every post since was referring to slobs that think because they own a dog, they can hunt any and all property the dogs can reach. Sadly, that seems to be the attitude of most guys posting in this thread. As the owner of MY property, I have every right disallow hunting with dogs(or anything else for that matter).
IMO, any so called hunter that thinks it's ok to run dogs on somebody else's property "because they can" is simply a P.O.S.

Originally Posted By: Chris_Brice As far as your "dog having a serious problem" comment I find that way way over the line and personally think you should either retract it or explain your thinkin here.
Glad to....
If I make it known to you that I don't want you on my property, and you proceed to turn your dogs loose on my property anyway.....I will kill them.

Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceFor your comment that callin won't effect deer in adjoining areas you are sadly mistaken on that one too. I've called and scared far more deer than coyotes. They'll comes to a call, stand and look or run the other way. A dog might dislocate a deer but a dog covers and disturbs far less ground than a call.

CB

Now that's a funny one there. I've been a caller for many, many years. If I turn a call on and call in a deer, it will eventually lose interest, or possibly wind you or whatever. That will not in any way, shape, or form, cause that deer to leave his core security area. A dog rousting him from inside of that core area will...period As an avid deer hunter of many many years, who paid dearly for his own property, it is perfectly within my right and expectation that your dogs not be on my property.

Originally Posted By: steve154I could care less if dogs are run in an area that I hunt. I suck anyways and probably have ruined more spots myself calling than any dog hunters ever will, if there is even a problem with calling after the dogs have been through, which I doubt.

Here is the issue. Like the O.P. I live in an area where the average person owns 50, maybe 100 acres. SOME (because these are the ones that are seen) drop the dogs on property they have permission and let them run miles of property that they have not idea who owns it. "The dogs can't read" is lame and getting old. Guys release the dogs knowing and that they are going to run over over 50 pieces of private property. Then truck loads of guys line up on whatever road they think they are going to cross, all of private property, and then shoot the coyote when it gets to the road. How can you do that without shooting from the road, which is illegal, or stepping off the road on to private property and trespassing, to shoot. Either way you are a crimninal.

In my area it seriously pissing people off and there are constant confrontations with truck loads of guys lining the roads adjacent to private property. I hold nothing against a dog guy that can properly utilize his dogs. Letting em loose with the intention that you will not be trespassing and they happen to go across private proerty is one thing. Letting them loose with the knowledge and intention that you are going to trespass and not give a crap is a completely different thing. Telling the property owner that complains that the dogs can't read is ridiculous and makes you sound like you can't either. It is lame and irresponsibe.

If you can hunt your dogs properly on vast tracts of public property, or gigantic ranches, then have at it and have fun. I would love to go sometime to try it. If you hunt like I described then you are an intentional criminal. There is no way to defend such behavior and anyone who would even try is wasting air even talking, or expending the energy to type.

Last thing of my long winded response...to equate calling to a dog running over someones property is laughable at best and such a convolution of logic that it is actually sad to think that a responsible adult could come up with such a notion.

Matt, no offense intended to you, or any other responsible and law abiding houndsmen. You are all fellow sportsman and even though I don't run hounds, I will defend your right to hunt as you wish the same as I will my own. However, I can not and will not defend criminal and irresponsible behavior.

THAT is very well-stated and is EXACTLY what I was stating as well. I will also add that I neither have any ill-will toward a guy with dogs that respects private property.

a man may own property but there are laws, a dog is innocent they are bred to track. If the animal there trackin circles or runs out of the country sometimes, they dont have property lines on there mind. If you shoot a dog over that, thats wrong.
One day you may get seriously killed not hurt.
Now if the houndsman run your property on purpose i see your point.
And you are right there are many houndsman that feel its okay to let the hounds run on posted properties.
But that does not mean all houndsman are like that.

My buddy had a situation the guy wouldnt let him get his hounds...he called the WCO...and they retrieved them in the meantime found so much deer bait on this property it wasnt funny...no baiting allowed here...

You further illustrate my point with preschoolers crying about who's cookie is bigger.
My neighbor,who came from the city,decided to try his hand in the cattle business.
He bought several hundred acres and didn't allow any hunting.We all respected his wishes and stayed off him.
Well,to make a long story short,he ended up shooting a coyote hound pup,as well as a bird dog that had gotten loose.
He laid low for awhile but eventually made the mistake,when he drove his truck to the local package store,while driving on his second DUI.
Wayne Co.justice finally caught up to him,if you know what I mean,and he had his farm sold within a month,and the last I knew he ended over east some where.Hopefully he'll end up by you somewhere,and you two can cry over your inadequate small cookies,over some warm milk.

BTW,his cows got out one morning,and were eating the grass in my backyard,sinking into the ground causing significant damage.I didn't shoot his cows or even asked him to fix my yard,let alone sued,in which I clearly would have won.
I just fixed everything myself,and helped him get his cows back in,without even as much as a thank you.
Call me crazy,but I understand that cows get out from time to time,as well as most do,in this part of the country.
I just ate my cookie,and moved on.Maybe you should do the same.MOVE ON!

Originally Posted By: bgtmeHickerx2,glad I laid back and let other people post about your comment.
Maybe you should have done that in the first place
smile.gif

Had you done that, you wouldn't have shown your "character".

Originally Posted By: bgtmeAfter making a statement like that,it speaks VOLUMES about your character.Some on here will have the same opinion,but I think you'll find yourself in a very small minority.
Well, I'm not too concerned about my standing in a group of guys like you. I'm confident that there aren't that many outside your "group".

I have a very strong character. I believe in god, family, country, and PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!
I believe that a person has the right to protect his family and property with whatever means he has, within the law if possible. My character does not allow me to steal from anybody, nor deflect blame for my actions. I'm very happy with my "character"

10-4?

Originally Posted By: happyyoterNow if the houndsman run your property on purpose i see your point.
And you are right there are many houndsman that feel its okay to let the hounds run on posted properties.
But that does not mean all houndsman are like that.

And those are the people I'm referring to. At no point did I ever say that all houndsmen were like that.
As a matter of fact, I specifically said that I wasn't referring to "good" houndsmen.

What really surprises me is that so many guys defend the actions of these slobs. I also said that I realize this might be a situation that is a non-issue in other places. I've also stated that I have no problem with houndsmen killing coyotes....I'd like to see them all dead. This thread is filled with posts from people that either cant read or don't care. Calling me a "whiney caller" or "jealous" just makes me laugh, as it couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm not jealous of anybody thats so lazy they have to hunt from a truck, or so arrogant that they think they can hunt anywhere they please.

I know slob deer hunters and turkey hunters that shoot turkeys from the roost in the dark....I sure as [beeep] wouldn't defend them even though I happen to be a deer or turkey hunter.

If you are such a strong believer in "God",I think you should have at least capitalized it.
Maybe you need a little couch time with R.Lee Ermey,that's in the Geico commercial.You remind me of the guy on the couch!
You can find the add on youtube.
As far as your comment on you saying you'll kill the dogs,I'm sure that me and plenty of other houndsmen on here,would chip in to pay for your flight out to Oregon and you can get to meet Duane@ssu.
I'm sure you'll only need one change of clothes to take with you.

Originally Posted By: bgtmeIf you are such a strong believer in "God",I think you should have at least capitalized it.
Maybe you need a little couch time with R.Lee Ermey,that's in the Geico commercial.You remind me of the guy on the couch!
You can find the add on youtube.
As far as your comment on you saying you'll kill the dogs,I'm sure that me and plenty of other houndsmen on here,would chip in to pay for your flight out to Oregon and you can get to meet Duane@ssu.
I'm sure you'll only need one change of clothes to take with you.

Thanks for pointing out my grammatical error....as long as you brought it up, its "ad" not "add"....finishing high school would have helped you with that.

I'm sure Duane appreciates you making threats for him but I don't think I would need to go see him. He seems to me like one of the upstanding guys here. I haven't seen him anywhere telling me that he thinks he can run his dogs on my property.

I won't be responding to you any more...lol
Any logical thinking is lost on you.

Back