Effects from dogs running coyotes in your areas

I see your point but I think you're making a wrong assumption about mine. I could care less about the coyotes. IMO, more dead coyotes is good for everybody.

I dont think my hunting is any more important than anybody else's. I don't care about dogs, I care about tresspassing. In my view, turning your dogs loose with every expectation and intent that they will be hunting on private property is no different than you walking past the posted signs yourself.

I think it's a pretty weak argument to say that your call may lure them from private property. Apples and oranges. Lots of people manage their property for deer, turkey, and whatever else. It's understandable that they don't want packs of dogs hunting there. And you think it's ok to send dogs in because they wont allow you to go?

Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but this is such a hot issue in this area that lawmakers have even introduced legislation to outlaw it. I realize it might not be as big an issue other places.

Originally Posted By: hickerx2

I think it's a pretty weak argument to say that your call may lure them from private property. Apples and oranges. Lots of people manage their property for deer, turkey, and whatever else. It's understandable that they don't want packs of dogs hunting there. And you think it's ok to send dogs in because they wont allow you to go?

It's not apples and oranges. Both dogs and calls are an extension of the hunter. To say it's not is being naive. You give me permission on 1 acre in that 2-4 sq miles and I'm effectively hunting all of it with a call. Everytime a caller fires up his call he knows dang well that sound will carry to land he doesn't have permission to be on but you think a dog hunter doing the same thing is bad. Why? Because the dog has legs and feet instead of floating thru air like an angel? As for land owners and managers dislike of dog hunters their beliefs are largely based in myth. Instead of joining them in a dislike of dog hunters try to educate. But your opinion seems to be that their (the land owners) dislike of dog hunters makes it hard/impossible for you to get permission to hunt on their land so your against dog hunters too. I hate to tell you this but if they are turning you down to hunt they would do it even if every dog hunter was wiped off the face of the earth. They're using dogs as an excuse and not a very good one.

CB

Does a call coming from a distance away harass deer? Bust them from their beds? Chase them from their core area? Does a call bust flocks of turkeys out of their roost in the middle of the night?

I suppose a deer should not be targeted if you know he just came from an adjacent property?..lol

Your argument is quite ludicrous. Coyotes naturally range. If you call them across a property line, they've been there before in their normal behavior.

You can try to justify it all you like but a dog's physical presence on private property is tresspassing...especially when they were let go there intentionally. Turning a caller on nextdoor is not...lol

Believe me....I'm well aware that slob hunters exist in every discipline. I never said that all hound hunters were but you guys sure are a bit touchy...lol

Originally Posted By: hickerx2Does a call coming from a distance away harass deer? Bust them from their beds? Chase them from their core area? Does a call bust flocks of turkeys out of their roost in the middle of the night?

i knew that was going to come up sooner than later. almost everyone that doesn`t own a hound or ever been around them enough thinks that. i run hounds at nite for coon on the same property that i plan on deer hunting in the morning. the deer don`t just take off and head for another block, they either just stand there or walk way for the hound.

Originally Posted By: killcoyotesOriginally Posted By: hickerx2Does a call coming from a distance away harass deer? Bust them from their beds? Chase them from their core area? Does a call bust flocks of turkeys out of their roost in the middle of the night?

i knew that was going to come up sooner than later. almost everyone that doesn`t own a hound or ever been around them enough thinks that. i run hounds at nite for coon on the same property that i plan on deer hunting in the morning. the deer don`t just take off and head for another block, they either just stand there or walk way for the hound.

That may be true of good dogs. Ive hunted with quite alot of them that would take off after a deer or a fox though. I'm a land owner myself and ignorant or not, I dont want dogs hunting ANYHING on my property. I'm pretty sure that I have the right to not want it....as does anybody else that owns the property.

I don't have nothing against any form of hunting as long as its legal.

I've never heard of a sound carrying over land as a form of trespassing. trespassing is defined as entering (physically) onto someone's property without permission. Also, wildlife belongs to "we the people" and not the owner of the property it happens to be on.

Originally Posted By: rpc55I don't have nothing against any form of hunting as long as its legal.

I've never heard of a sound carrying over land as a form of trespassing. trespassing is defined as entering (physically) onto someone's property without permission. Also, wildlife belongs to "we the people" and not the owner of the property it happens to be on.

Well said....at least there's somebody else that sees the ridiculous argument here. IMO that includes dogs. obviously dogs can't reason on their own but as extensions of their owners, I consider it the same as if the owners themselves were trespassing. Im not talking about incidental trespass either....we all know how that could happen.

You asked originally if this would affect them.I'd say it has to.If you do anything to interrupt an animals daily life,they react.How is anybody's guess.I know that deer and turkey will react different when something disturbs them.As smart as coyotes are,they must behave different.But you would have to be able to watch a coyote from a distance and see what his pattern was originally.Probably not many have watched a specific coyote,like we would a trophy deer.

about 3 weeks ago i hunted with a buddy that has jagd terriers and he was pushing out a catail slough that is about 30 acres, we push evrything from pheasants,deer, coyotes ,bobcats,ect... out of this spot.anyway i sat on top of a hill overlooking this area waiting, when they were about 2/3 of the way through it a coyote was about 60 yds ahead of the hunter and 2 dogs. he/she skirted them in was within 30 yds of all of them at one time, the coyote never left the cover. so no you don't run them out of the country all the time. by the way he shot 2 pheasants on this walk.

I know I am no expert on this or anything for that matter. below is a picture of a dead coyote with a hunter and two dogs. The day before this picture was taken my two dogs,and three people called this very spot. We were set up on a pretty bald knob. We spotted a coyote coming in and one of my dogs saw and took after it. The coyote tucked tail and left the country.

Less than 24 hours later my two dogs and this time only two men called on the very same bald knob in the very same spot as the day before. Again a coyote came in and this time it died. Know we dont know if it was the same coyote.

Like I said I am no expert but I would have to answer your question no the dogs will not mess with your calling.

Everybody has different ways of hunting just because it is not your way doesnt mean it is wrong. I mean there could be posts like is people who use elctronic callers screwing up your calling. Everyone runs into one or two people running coyotes with dogs that is disrespectful and they throw everyone who runs dogs into the same burning fire. I will guarantee per capita there are more knot heads running around with hand calls, electronic calls, chasing with trucks, etc, etc ,etc than there are knot heads with dogs. Its a numbers thing and that is all there is too it.
PICT0185.jpg

I hear some of this out here in the open west. I have never came across hound hunters. I have seen callers have the e-caller in the bed of their truck though. people chasing them on snowmobiles/ dirtbikes/ fourwheelers. Callers using spotlights(illegal). i am a caller not a houndsman. So no i am not on their side of this debate. i agree with hunting in all forms.

Tim, I'll say it, the only reason we can have "talks" like this is because of the character, of the people on this forum. Respect is a two way street, even when we disagree.

One area I hunt here in Missouri is about six square miles with good county roads through it. It is absolutely hammered by the hound hunters because of the good roads in this area. I have probably taken at least 60 coyotes in this area over the last 5 years. The only affect that I have found on my calling is that the coyotes are a little shy when they hear a rig pull up. I just park farther away from where I call. My rule of thumb is 1\4 mile. I have had great success calling a spot the day after a big race. I think the coyotes are more scattered and they are more apt to hear my calls. At least that is my theory.

One thing to remember is this, just because someone hunted an area a shot some critters does not mean they are gone forever. A prime spot will be just that..a prime spot. Shoot a pair and sooner or later someone will move back into that area and claim it. We have a spot that we go back to time and again, even the next day. It just hold coyotes. Do your homework and find one of these spots and you are in the money!!!

Just last weekend a coyote caller hollered on the radio and asked where we were running.We told him,it was a fairly big block (for around here anyway)and he came over and called in the same block we had dogs in.
He got back on the radio later and told us he'd called one in and killed it.It was the very same section as what we had dogs in.
After he killed that one I saw his truck parked in the next section north of where we were running,and tried it again. I don't think he had any luck on that stand,or if he did,he didn't say anything on the radio that I heard.But that caller obviously wasn't worried about dogs,he just went hunting.

So,do I believe that dogs running hurts calling,absolutely not.

As far as the same old complaints about dogs are let loose to run abandon,is another issue.
Theirs only one land owner in that whole section,that might own 2% or less in that block and the other 98% of the landowners tell us to kill every coyote we see.
So, should we stay out of that block,even though all the landowners,except one doesn't want us to hunt?
If thats the case,can I even turn the dogs loose on my own property,if someone lives in the same section that doesn't like houndsmen?
If not,it kinda seems to me like that particular land owner has more say over my land than I do.Doesn't it?

Sometimes I think more people state things out of pure jealousy,than really using the facts,and are going to look for something to complain about.
Kind of like preschoolers complaining,"His cookie is bigger than my cookie,Mrs.Beasley"

Just my .02

Back