East and eastern tactics

South AL & the FL panhandle, we have bears. Sarahland is just north of Mobile, maybe 20 minutes at most from my house. They have so many bears they walk the streets in the middle of the day & it's common for them to go on peoples porches.

My daughter saw plenty while delivering loads to FL, less than an hour from here. One she didn't see in time, her rig won that encounter.

Clarence, my partner put bigger tires on his bike and it seems to help him some and also softens the ride a bit. They are pretty tricky in the sand. We do have a half dozen places with sandy roads, but most of this area is black dirt. Both those bears were pretty big, but as I stated earlier, they don't seem to be as aggressive as the younger 200-250 class of bears. I don't trust them at all. We've never had to shoot one in self-defense, but we have had to fire rounds close to them to turn them away at night. We have lights on our helmets and I have a laser on my rifle. Those will usually warn them off, but ever once in a while there is one that just keeps on coming.

1701047329208.png

One of the things that we don't have here in eastern NC is a water shortage. Annual rainfall is 55 inches here so coyotes don't have a problem finding water and aren't attracted to specific water locations as might be seen in the western states.

One of the things that we don't have here in eastern NC is a water shortage. Annual rainfall is 55 inches here so coyotes don't have a problem finding water and aren't attracted to specific water locations as might be seen in the western states.

Great point Owen, I specifically brought up that exact point in a thread called "Locating Coyotes In The Nevada Deserts" and wrote pretty extensively about some east/west differences that I've experienced first hand, but hey what do I know!!!

I'm so thankful for huge amounts of public land in Washington. I probably wouldn't hunt if I had to ask for permission and shoot near peoples dwellings. Not everything is easy however. I've noticed as the population of wolves and cougars is increasing the coyotes have become extremely wary and have vanished from areas. (The majority of Washington residents hate hunters/trappers and are in love with large predators.)
I've been testing trapping baits around the area and active places go dry as soon as I see cougar prints.
Pressure a coyote and he will adapt. The good old days were definitely better!

Not new here. Guess it was because “Been awhile since I’ve been on here. Have a farm and access to bout 3000 more acres. Fox hunters on horses hunt my land so in exchange I can hunt there’s anytime. Seems the yotes run a straight line for miles not like red foxes..Bad news for fox hunters. All dogs GPS, but they run yotes into the next town, county or state. Funny, never seen yote on my land. Yet the horseback hunters chase them all the time. I’ve heard, if you still have foxes. Then you don’t have coyotes.?? Not so! I take care of my foxes. Feed them deer, kibble and worm medicine. Have couple of dens close to house and the pups visit. Been asked to knock off a few coyotes, just having trouble getting started. Have the nite vision scopes, suppressors, callers and tack driving rifles. Plus retired 😀 Just a plane old groundhog hunter here from the time I used to park along the road with a 30-06 and shoot the buggers. Carry rifles to school in truck rack to hunt after. Guess I’m lucky to know a lot of farmers and land owners that are with me on hunting..Plus I have a few youngsters that want to learn the finer points of reloading, building and chambering accurate rifles and XP. 100’s. Time and work has always kept me from enjoying what I love. Maybe now I can hunt some coyotes that are so stealth they only fox hounds can find them. Although people on FB posting pictures, but what do I know. Thanks for reading. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Still in good shape physically Walk a good bit and on couple farmers crop damage permits for deer, so my old eyes are still pretty sharp🤣

Last edited:
Not new here. Guess it was because “Been awhile since I’ve been on here. Have a farm and access to bout 3000 more acres. Fox hunters on horses hunt my land so in exchange I can hunt there’s anytime. Seems the yotes run a straight line for miles not like red foxes..Bad news for fox hunters. All dogs GPS, but they run yotes into the next town, county or state. Funny, never seen yote on my land. Yet the horseback hunters chase them all the time. I’ve heard, if you still have foxes. Then you don’t have coyotes.?? Not so! I take care of my foxes. Feed them deer, kibble and worm medicine. Have couple of dens close to house and the pups visit. Been asked to knock off a few coyotes, just having trouble getting started. Have the nite vision scopes, suppressors, callers and tack driving rifles. Plus retired 😀 Just a plane old groundhog hunter here from the time I used to park along the road with a 30-06 and shoot the buggers. Carry rifles to school in truck rack to hunt after. Guess I’m lucky to know a lot of farmers and land owners that are with me on hunting..Plus I have a few youngsters that want to learn the finer points of reloading, building and chambering accurate rifles and XP. 100’s. Time and work has always kept me from enjoying what I love. Maybe now I can hunt some coyotes that are so stealth they only fox hounds can find them. Although people on FB posting pictures, but what do I know. Thanks for reading. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Still in good shape physically Walk a good bit and on couple farmers crop damage permits for deer, so my old eyes are still pretty sharp🤣
It seems we have quite a bit in common I'm soon to retire myself. I'm 63.
You might try a few trail cameras and try to figure out a pattern. You'll need a thermal scanner for detection at night. I use a cheap AGM tm160 to know "something is there"and ID with the NV scope. it is not ideal however it was what I could afford and it got me in the game. If you can predict where they will come from then you got a good start. Get yourself a good tripod setup, figure your wind, try a set of female lonely howls 4-5 and wait 4-5 minutes repeat. When it happens it will be fast so be ready LOL. Around here I have found the first 2-4 of dark to be the most productive. They are bold at night and think they are invisible, well NV and thermal give you the advantage.
Stay after it it WILL happen cause they are there. Good luck to you

It seems we have quite a bit in common I'm soon to retire myself. I'm 63.
You might try a few trail cameras and try to figure out a pattern. You'll need a thermal scanner for detection at night. I use a cheap AGM tm160 to know "something is there"and ID with the NV scope. it is not ideal however it was what I could afford and it got me in the game. If you can predict where they will come from then you got a good start. Get yourself a good tripod setup, figure your wind, try a set of female lonely howls 4-5 and wait 4-5 minutes repeat. When it happens it will be fast so be ready LOL. Around here I have found the first 2-4 of dark to be the most productive. They are bold at night and think they are invisible, well NV and thermal give you the advantage.
Stay after it it WILL happen cause they are there. Good luck to you
Will pick up the scanner.. Have everything else from groundhog hunting.. Got 194 hogs one year.. Those times were good. I‘m 75.

Welcome to PM! There is life after 75. I'm 76 and will turn 77 early next year. Life is good. I thank the Good Lord every day that I have the health to enjoy the things I love to do.

Welcome to the forum Guide, the big thing I find about the 70's is I can't hunt near as late into the night as I could in my 60's--tehee.

Tactics hunting in the West Vs. the East. There are some issues to overcome in the East that are not such an issue in the West. But over all I think its a good thing to separate the two half's of the country weather it be the Mississippi acting as the dividing line or not. There will always be differences in how individuals hunt no matter where they are. In fact it might be a good idea to divide the country into East, North, South and West. No only will that generate a lively discussion but we might all learn something new.

Welcome to PM! There is life after 75. I'm 76 and will turn 77 early next year. Life is good. I thank the Good Lord every day that I have the health to enjoy the things I love to do.
Thanks. Had some cancer [mouth] back in 96. HPV. To many women when I was a young lad..Fun at the time. But 1/2 my tongue is gone now. I still walk my dogs on the fox hunter paths on my property and others [4 standard poodles]. Had 7 at one time. Wife says no more unless something happens to her. I think yearly physicals and watching what I eat has kept my bloodwork perfect. Long as you feel good and do something you really enjoy. That’s 1/2 the battle. Health the other. Mother always told me. “Your life NOT A Dress Rehearsal” She was so right. !!

AMEN to that!
Hey Guide, a quick way to figure out where they hang out at night is the siren/coyote locator on your call. I use it from the road never where I intend to setup. I leave it on the roof of my car and walk down the road, if I got someone with better ears I take them with me. It's kinda like getting a turkey to shock gobble, usually if they can hear it they will howl back, it is fun too,at least to me LOL.

AMEN to that!
Hey Guide, a quick way to figure out where they hang out at night is the siren/coyote locator on your call. I use it from the road never where I intend to setup. I leave it on the roof of my car and walk down the road, if I got someone with better ears I take them with me. It's kinda like getting a turkey to shock gobble, usually if they can hear it they will howl back, it is fun too,at least to me LOL.
Siren locator. Fill me in. Never done anything like that. Always sat my butt down and turned on recorder with a flopping rabbit

Siren locator. Fill me in. Never done anything like that. Always sat my butt down and turned on recorder with a flopping rabbit
I have a foxpro the first sound says coyote locator it sounds like a siren kind of. It must hurt there ears or something, if they are nearby they will go off howling at it, it kinda drives them crazy or triggers an instinct or something.
What call do you have?

Foxpro. Siren not on it. I know our poodles howl when fire truck goes up the road. Going to work on that end. Wish you lived closer. Invite you over

Back