East and eastern tactics

I find more success with vocals than distress (@ about 4 to 1 when l used to keepsuch records) and ALWAYS much more silence than noise. Most stands are minimum of 45min and if l have had an answer l might wait 30-45 min in silence after my last call. Most kills have come in the 25-50 min of silence zone. The longest kill stand l remember was 2-1/2hrs with lights.

I find more success with vocals than distress (@ about 4 to 1 when l used to keepsuch records) and ALWAYS much more silence than noise. Most stands are minimum of 45min and if l have had an answer l might wait 30-45 min in silence after my last call. Most kills have come in the 25-50 min of silence zone. The longest kill stand l remember was 2-1/2hrs with lights.
Agree 100%
The ones around here have a large territory. They usually have plenty to eat so vocals are the key. They are very wary and not very vocal so I have learned from on here to. At night I call with a couple of howls and wait at least 5 minutes,give it a couple more and wait. If nothing shows I either try again in an hour or so figuring they are out of ear shot. They seldom answer back here they just pop up on you

I setup my thermal out back and bluetooth to my phone. They will pass through every 3-5 days in a group most of the time, you seldom see one in the day. The land is all chopped up into small parcels 1-2 acres. Very hard to get permission to hunt.. No hunting on public land at night or on Sunday here in SC. Public land is covered with deer hunters during deer season so everything in the woods is spooked. After deer season it is rimfire or shotgun only on public

The ones around here have a large territory. They usually have plenty to eat so vocals are the key. They are very wary and not very vocal so I have learned from on here to. At night I call with a couple of howls and wait at least 5 minutes,give it a couple more and wait. If nothing shows I either try again in an hour or so figuring they are out of ear shot. They seldom answer back here they just pop up on you
I literally do the same thing here in the west.

...but do you have to reiterate to the homeowners, when your coyote hunting- when they hear coyotes NOT to turn on outside lights, call you on your cell not just once( "hey are you hunting? I hear yotes out back"), come out with a spotlight yelling to scare the coyotes away, activate their truck alarm remotely, call the police, come out shooting a gun...and my best to date x2- come out full tactical at you?

...just some of the crap hunting in the East
:ROFLMAO:

I know several guys in multiple states east of the Mississippi who stack coyotes using the same tactics that work west of the Mississippi. coyotes have the same instincts east or west and any seasoned hunter is going know it’s not always the same, it’s about finding the right sound to trigger their response at that time And being close enough to get them to respond. As for hunting pressure I deal with that too, but I am not convinced every single tract of land in your state is being called already by other hunters. Get access to new ground, I used to spend as much time hunting for places to hunt coyotes as I spent actually hunting them. I am constantly getting access to new land with hopefully virgin ears, some of the areas are being called by people in the area, but every late summer early fall is a new population of young of the year that have never been called.

...but do you have to reiterate to the homeowners, when your coyote hunting- when they hear coyotes NOT to turn on outside lights, call you on your cell not just once( "hey are you hunting? I hear yotes out back"), come out with a spotlight yelling to scare the coyotes away, activate their truck alarm remotely, call the police, come out shooting a gun...and my best to date x2- come out full tactical at you?

...just some of the crap hunting in the East
:ROFLMAO:

I have. I hunt some tracts as small as 5 and 10 acre tracts on the edges of city limits. I had a home owner start shooting in my direction when he heard me start my stand with howls. I have had land owners shinning spotlights on my from their side of the fence. I have called them in places where I only have one shooting lane cause of houses. I have also called them in with kids playing outside a couple hundred yards away and also with lawnmowers and music audible in the back ground. In areas like that they are more conditioned to human scent. Just some of the crap you have to stay flexible and adjust to.

I’ve dealt with barking neighbor dogs on more stands than not, which tends to get the owners
attention so lights come on.

I don’t hunt some spots just for that reason.

I figure the longer stands are a matter of having to wait until a coyote is close enough to hear the call as a result of lower coyote density and not pressure or just being smart.

Coyote density and pressure varies from area to area but I have not heard anyone from the east describe one single successful tactic that makes it unique to that area and not being used elsewhere… now there might be some unsuccessful tactics being used that others are not using elsewhere or did and learned not to use it, lol

a coyote is a coyote

...... just expanding on the general discussion...

I think it's good that we all discuss the variety of situations we are dealt with...and how we overcome some "hurdles" or "difficulties" to kill coyotes.

Most kill posts give a basic run of events to give us some visual of the hunt. Some posts literally take us there...give us the emotion beyond the kill.

Most of us keep our circle small in a sense...there's info(generally properties) that we won't give just because there are people out there that a just no good- "evil"....but there's no secret sound or tactic that will work everywhere....

A lot of these challenges, West or East, North or South, all have one common factor---- WE have the power of "intelligence" to calculate our next move....coyotes run on instinct and awareness. How we use our way of reasoning while we are coyote hunting is probably the only difference. A coyote is going to do what it wants...if it wants to come into the call it will, if it doesn't well......

Some areas ARE better than others.... EAST as well as West...coyotes will adapt to ANY situation and there are more coyotes around than most unsuccessful hunters think. Hunters from the "West" have to remember that the guys from the "East" learned from them when it came to calling and hunting coyotes. We may have had fox calling for the past 50+ years....but the coyote thing has exploded the past 10. I first started lurking here around 2005 and registered in 2007/2009.
The amount of knowledge I gained was astounding. From reloading to calling techniques....I absorbed it all.

Like many say= most people want everything gift wrapped and handed to them like a 3 year old ..like--what sounds are ya'll running....anyone hunt area X and how's the coyote hunting there?
Everyone on this forum that is successful at killing coyotes consistently has had someone ask for "help"....and most probably give the same exact reply....that is the SAME everywhere.

Pa. Mick will agree with me.....every property that looks like it will hold coyotes IS getting hunted by other callers(whether they have permission or not) and if the section(between rds) is big enough- a group of hound runners are working it(whether they have permission or not) every week after deer season for 4 months. There are at least, to my knowledge, 8 groups of hound runners in this county. 3 of those have 15-25 guys in the group.

I just checked my OnX waypoints. We have just under 300 coyote hunting properties in the county that I live. We gain about 5-10 key spots a year with a handful of wildcard properties.
We of course try to navigate spots accordingly like everyone else-everywhere else.. with up to date intel...owner heard/seen coyotes....wind direction...normal/abnormal property activity, last time we hunted, the last time someone else hunted it. Some owners let everybody hunt.

I am glad others are joining in.
Limbhanger is correct the coyotes have only been in this area for about 10 years. I grew up in KY and called foxes with a cassette caller back in the day. Totally different ball game. About 12 years I raised quail for training my bird dogs. I had about 200 which where in sight of my 2 dogs kennels. If anything upset the birds the dogs would react barking I set up trail cams and it was foxes that where trying to get them. I setup early one morning with the same caller I had when I was a kid and let it rip wide open. They came from everywhere cutting across my front yard,crossing the paved road,etc. I killed 3 with a 12 gauge in 5 minutes, They didn't seem concerned about the big BOOM and just kept rolling in. I have not seen a fox around here in 10 years since the coyotes moved in. I have tried both day and night.
Coyotes on the other hand you better be ready and your only getting 1 chance in my experience. They are super wary and won't be caught dead out in the open during the day! (pun intended).
Some of my challenges are time and energy. I am 63 and work full time and need my sleep lol. Secondly SC where I live has laws making landowners register there property with the DNR for night hunting. And must file an annual report,wait 48 hours,ETC. This is a hassle for 1 and I am not going to risk a violation and gun/gear confiscation bending the law. On my property I use the protecting my chickens rule.
When I retire it will be a different story. I will have the time to pursue new ground. The 2 things that I am impressed with all of you guys is the amount of time and energy you spend on this hobby/sport not to mention the money. Second is the properties you have secured permission. That takes time to develop which I just do not have right now. I am actively looking for a partner to hunt with as well which could help out in several ways.
Recently the hogs have shown up so they will start tearing everything up so getting permission will get easier

Well from what has already been previously stated that “ a coyote is a coyote “ I see no reason to explain my tactics as they are the same as yours that I also use here in Pennsylvania 😉 !
Happy hunting 😃

Good to see this lively discussion. Keep 'em coming.

Been blessed with three large ranches on which I have hunted for 20 years, all owned by the same family. They are all leased for hunting and all have exotics which can be hunted year round, but access is limited to lease members so no competition from road hunters other than a (rare) fence jumper.
Gotta say that, if I had to hunt in some of the populated"neighborhoods" described above, I'd have hung it up years ago.

Regards,
hm

Good to see this lively discussion. Keep 'em coming.

Been blessed with three large ranches on which I have hunted for 20 years, all owned by the same family. They are all leased for hunting and all have exotics which can be hunted year round, but access is limited to lease members so no competition from road hunters other than a (rare) fence jumper.
Gotta say that, if I had to hunt in some of the populated"neighborhoods" described above, I'd have hung it up years ago.

Regards,
hm
That is a blessing. folks around this area look at you as if you are crazy for asking to hunt period much less at night. When I was young in Ky I secured hunting privileges by killing groundhogs all summer. I had several farms that I thinned them down and several older widows that called every time one got in their garden. Securing quail hunting privileges was a snap.
Those days are long gone and in the Sue happy world we now have I don't blame land owners for not wanting people on their property. Soon I am going to have a hold harmless agreement drawn up that will absolve the owner of any liability,in the event I find one that will even consider the idea.

I have. I hunt some tracts as small as 5 and 10 acre tracts on the edges of city limits. I had a home owner start shooting in my direction when he heard me start my stand with howls. I have had land owners shinning spotlights on my from their side of the fence. I have called them in places where I only have one shooting lane cause of houses. I have also called them in with kids playing outside a couple hundred yards away and also with lawnmowers and music audible in the back ground. In areas like that they are more conditioned to human scent. Just some of the crap you have to stay flexible and adjust to.

Any guy that lives in a 5-10 acre subdivision (or anywhere else for that matter) that comes outside at night and starts shooting in the general direction of sounds he hears without identifying his target and backstop needs his gun barrel bent over his head. That sumbitch is too stupid to own a firearm.

I learned a lot from an old man who lived down the road from me. He ran coyotes with grey hounds and knew all the locals who also ran coyotes with dogs. It was strange, there are different groups and even though they know each other there is rivalry between the groups. Times they even try to find the other group’s channels on the CB to hear what area they are running and some areas you go only to find it had just been ran early that morning with fresh tire tracks in the mud and seeing a freshly mauled coyote in the ditch.

We have a pair of Canadian geese that return to our pond every spring to nest, when you drive by them in the pasture they usually squat down in the grass to hide instead of flying off, the coyotes in the area will do the same thing. most of these areas are open and you can see the whole way across the one mile section to the other side. A lot of callers would by pass sections like these and go find an area with cover that looked like it would hold coyotes during the day. I paid close attention to every coyote we jumped up to chase, as to where he was and what little terrain features he felt safe to bed down in and it completed changed my tactics as to how I hunted those areas.

A lot of those places I ask first if anyone else is calling there and many say, we had some come hunt it once but they did not get anything and never came back. I am not any better than those hunters but maybe a little more stubborn. I look out across those open fields for areas with subtle terrain features and instead of trying to jump that coyote I look for a way to get as close I can get without bumping him. I look for things like little drainage ditches, patches of taller grass, fence lines and small hills where they where they can bead down on the down wind side with an open view of their downwind, the furthest from the road and closer to the center of the section the better and then I try to stalk in as close and low to that area to setup and I don’t anticipate them coming to the call, I anticipate them setting up from laying down in the grass, or raising their head out of a drainage ditch or poking their head through an overgrown fenceline for a curious look at the source of my sound giving me a shot.

I definitely don’t just walk out into that field and just start playing rabbit thinking a coyote that has repeatedly survived being hunted with dogs is going to come running in out in the open. I hunt a lot of different terrain and this is just one tactic example of how I approach a heavy pressured area that does not hold a high density of coyotes like areas and scenarios you describe in the east.

what would your tactics be on approaching and hunting a scenario like this in the east?

Any guy that lives in a 5-10 acre subdivision (or anywhere else for that matter) that comes outside at night and starts shooting in the general direction of sounds he hears without identifying his target and backstop needs his gun barrel bent over his head. That sumbitch is too stupid to own a firearm.
this was not at night it was at sunset. I went up a fenceline that had a patch of cover on the land I was hunting and trying to call them to the edge of, the house was on the land behind me on the other side of the fence.it happened fast and caught me off guard. I think i wrote about this incident on a post here a few years ago. I started calling then all of a sudden it sounded like semi automatic 22 rounds snapping off over me, I instantly rolled over and laid close to the ground, I should have yelled but it took me a minute to process what was happening. When I stood up i could not see anyone outside, I was a little shook up trying to decide what to do next so I just grabbed me gear and made my way back to the truck, it was the last stand of the day getting dark.

Back