Dog vision?

Seems like most blaze orange is also shiny, I have seen coyote/ deer pick out my form (stationary) while wearing orange. There used to be UV blocker treatment available, haven't seen it for years in stores. I used it on my winter whites, after seeing how some snow camo glowed. Science has shown that most animals do not have the eye structures for color vision, but that doesn't mean they can't see shading differences especially from colors that don't naturally occur.

I thought my lab puppy was blind when I’d throw an orange bumper and he’d run by upwind and not see it.
After a little research I learned there are black and white bumpers they can see and the orange bumpers they don’t see.
He turned out to be a once in a lifetime Dawg!
I’d assume coyotes are the same.

There are some fungus and such that give off UV. There are materials that absorb UV and give off visible light (old bluing is one). Think of what the animal needs to see to survive. Watched a hog pick it's way through pretty thick tree line Tues nite, very little moonlight(9:30 PM). Didn't bump into anything. It turned and walked quickly into the shrub. They don't have sonar! Obvious better nite vision than me but probably NOT thermal. Of all the nite hunting videos I've watched, no hog or yote has run into a tree when startled. So I doubt their nose is doing the guiding. Same with their hearing, need to hear the high pitched squeaks/chirps and low grunts.

I would be more concerned with smell, movement, and contrast... but contrast almost in a different sense, naturalness and shape i guess. One time in the snow i was wearing white snow camo and my dad was wearing old faded brown camo/carhartt jacket. A coyote came out at 100+ yards and immediately spotted me, just absolutely staring. I believe the white camo made it worse, i think i looked unnatural/out of place whereas my dad looked like some kind of cattail lump/dirt.

I coyote hunt regularly with my brittany spaniel, and she can see coyote movement (brown coyote on brown ground) at 500+ yards... she's alerted me to coyotes i would have never known were there.

I would be more concerned with smell, movement, and contrast... but contrast almost in a different sense, naturalness and shape i guess. One time in the snow i was wearing white snow camo and my dad was wearing old faded brown camo/carhartt jacket. A coyote came out at 100+ yards and immediately spotted me, just absolutely staring. I believe the white camo made it worse, i think i looked unnatural/out of place whereas my dad looked like some kind of cattail lump/dirt.

I coyote hunt regularly with my brittany spaniel, and she can see coyote movement (brown coyote on brown ground) at 500+ yards... she's alerted me to coyotes i would have never known were there.
Over the years I learned a little bit about snow camo… I once purchased an inexpensive waterproof snow camo jacket and pants set. Either from Cheaper than dirt or Sportsmans Guide. Can’t remember which. Anyway, I got it and went out calling one afternoon and coyotes came in and picked me off in a split second. A little bit later some deer entered the field and immediately started eying me up and foot stomping. Wind was good, I wasn’t moving. I was puzzled. Then, as it started to turn dusky I noticed that the white was looking more and more like a violet blueish color. Almost glowing like I was back in my bedroom under blacklights as a kid so my fluorescent velvet posters would look awesome! Lol. I think I looked like a lightbulb to them or something?

Over the years I learned a little bit about snow camo… I once purchased an inexpensive waterproof snow camo jacket and pants set. Either from Cheaper than dirt or Sportsmans Guide. Can’t remember which. Anyway, I got it and went out calling one afternoon and coyotes came in and picked me off in a split second. A little bit later some deer entered the field and immediately started eying me up and foot stomping. Wind was good, I wasn’t moving. I was puzzled. Then, as it started to turn dusky I noticed that the white was looking more and more like a violet blueish color. Almost glowing like I was back in my bedroom under blacklights as a kid so my fluorescent velvet posters would look awesome! Lol. I think I looked like a lightbulb to them or something?

Yup, basically what happened to me. I bet youre on to something too, maybe the white is reflecting light that they can see

Two things that you should NEVER wear if you don't want to be seen ........ White colored anything, and denim jeans. Yep ... denim glows like a neon light.

Two things that you should NEVER wear if you don't want to be seen ........ White colored anything, and denim jeans. Yep ... denim glows like a neon light.
I don’t know about “never” wearing white as I wear snow camo quite often when we have snow. It’s more to do with “THE” white you’re wearing in my opinion. Some whites or whites washed in detergents containing U.V. brighteners glow violet blue as I’ve stated above. Other whites are more neutral in nature and they don’t draw attention.

They are cumbersome for the most part, but there are some very lightweight (although a bit sparse) guillie type suits out there that offer a great alternative. I haven't used mine in a while, but it scrunches small enough to go into a medium backpack along with my other items and can be carried to the stand and then put on. I suppose it could be used in the snow if there are any other types of shrubbery around so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned .......... your FACE can glow like a spotlight at times. I learned this while waterfowl hunting and seeing hunters sitting in a great blind totally hidden except for their face. You could see them from a mile away. A small bit of camo paint, a face mask, or otherwise breaking up your face is a must, especially if you are hunting on a sunny bright day.

They are cumbersome for the most part, but there are some very lightweight (although a bit sparse) guillie type suits out there that offer a great alternative. I haven't used mine in a while, but it scrunches small enough to go into a medium backpack along with my other items and can be carried to the stand and then put on. I suppose it could be used in the snow if there are any other types of shrubbery around so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned .......... your FACE can glow like a spotlight at times. I learned this while waterfowl hunting and seeing hunters sitting in a great blind totally hidden except for their face. You could see them from a mile away. A small bit of camo paint, a face mask, or otherwise breaking up your face is a must, especially if you are hunting on a sunny bright day.

Agreed, i think the ghille suits could work. My assumption is that they will be better at "taking in" in the light instead of reflecting it, kind of like how an animal's fur acts in the woods.

I duck hunt with a couple people that refuse to wear a face mask and stand/sit up above the blind... It is fairly aggravating, watching flock after flock flare when they get close and then everyone (not me) wondering why they flared.

I duck hunt with a couple people that refuse to wear a face mask and stand/sit up above the blind... It is fairly aggravating, watching flock after flock flare when they get close and then everyone (not me) wondering why they flared.

Well ....... If I get up at 3:00am and take a boat ride out to the blind, and put out 50+ diver decoys, and then sit in water up to my knees (with waders on of course) I am very, very picky who I share a blind with. The folks you described aren't going to be in my blind. Life is far too short to endure that type of stupidity.

Well ....... If I get up at 3:00am and take a boat ride out to the blind, and put out 50+ diver decoys, and then sit in water up to my knees (with waders on of course) I am very, very picky who I share a blind with. The folks you described aren't going to be in my blind. Life is far too short to endure that type of stupidity.
Haha true, the problem is you can't necessarily pick family and they ain't even in my blind half the time, but close enough to where the ducks are getting the hell out of the area. I guess id rather be out hunting and deal with some BS than not at all. Every now and then a couple dumb ones still manage to fly in within range lol

Back