Dog vision?

Hudson

Dog Vision Simulator

Does anyone hunt predators with blaze orange on?

Apparently coyotes, like deer, don't perceive red orange pink and greens like we do. See link above.

Does anyone know about big cats, fox Or other predators?

Wife wants me to wear orange or pink for saftey. Will this lower success if the rest of the stand is right and I'm still?

Thanks

If it means hunting or or unhappy wife, I'd wear the colors. Maybe it will cost you a critter or two. So what your not keeping the house in groceries with today's fur prices.

There are some very subtle hunter orange camo out there. Wear your orange jacket to and from you stand and throw a ghillie jacket over it while your on your stand. I have a reversible down jacket that goes from orange to green. There are all sorts of options.

I have done a bit of experimenting over the years with Labradors that were field trial dogs. We used blaze orange retriever dummies at times, and I can assure you that the dogs could find a black or white one far easier than the orange. They either had to smell it or almost step on it to find it. We decided (no firm evidence here) that they saw the orange as a shade of gray. From what I have been told by scientists both deer and canines see orange as a shade of gray or white.

As for wearing orange, there used to be a color called "Blaze Orange Camo" (might still be available) that was orange with a black stripe pattern on it to break up the color. Coyotes and deer seemed to ignore this color as they saw it as broken gray & black. Might be a solution for your situation.

No matter what color you wear, just remember that MOVEMENT will get you busted far quicker than any color you might be wearing.

“No matter what color you wear, just remember that MOVEMENT will get you busted far quicker than any color you might be wearing.”

This ^^^ right here is sound advice. I do not think the color will cause you near the problems that movement will. Not exactly the same, but I remember reading where Gerry Blair famously called in and killed coyotes wearing a Santa Suit! Foxpro’s Big Al Morris more recently did the same on video citing Gerry as one of his heroes.

There’s always the option of walking out the door wearing orange and exiting the truck without it! 😉 Just remember to put it back on when you go home.

Good luck!

YEP, many manufacturers still offer the blaze camo. (Dead tree limb and leaves not included)

ANYTHING in front of you to break up your outline is going to help. Tree limb, bush, dead sage grass, et.

tempImagejSbdP5.png

A few years back I was living in a state that required 600 sq. In. Above the waist during big game seasons. The state was divided into a lot of areas with limited licenses and separate season. So you had to know what each area was doing. I just made orange coat for hunting. I dug it out and my wife took some.pics.

Walking to stand
PXL_20240107_165624696.jpg

Back
PXL_20240107_165720299.jpg

Zipped up and pull hood over the hat at the stand
PXL_20240107_165755469.jpg

Last edited:
If I saw you in the woods you would scare the crap out of me. :LOL: That is definitely different. Did any wardens see you wearing that, and if so what did they say?

You definitely get a "A" for effort & originality .......... (y)

32 years in in WA I never saw a warder in the field, I met two while duck hunting, both at landings, one a federal warden and one a state warden. I've met more wardens in four years in NM than all my time in WA.

As with most predators,, I would assume that their eyesight is pretty keen. And from tales that I have heard about people being busted from a long away I'd say they can see for quite a distance.

For years there has been a debate or confusion about canine eyesight. As far as I know, and as far as the wife knows (veterinarian), there has never been an absolute study to find definite parameters for the canine eye. Some things are a given that have been proven over the years .... such as a lack of the ability to recognize colors in the same way as humans see them. But I'm not aware of any proven scientific information that would support an argument of any type one way or another.

I don't think there vision is something we can relate to. I've had any number of coyotes just stand and look at me with a look that something isn't right but no fear, try and raise.the rifle and boom they're getting gone before the rifle hits my shoulder. Long distance raise a pair of binoculars or reach for a power ring and you'd think you set off a bomb. Not every time, I think the coyotes paranoia level can factor in also.

Funny, at the same time decoys work well and there is movement there all the time. I have found decoys work better for me if they are elevated, so a coyote can see them from a distance and they aren't threatening. Sometimes they can so distract a coyote you can get away with a lot. I just wrote a story about a coyote so focused on the decoy I misfire twice and was able to clear the rounds and finally kill him on the third try. I've had numerous coyotes just sit and stare up at the decoy. So it isn't just movement that spooks.them.

So after rambling on I still trust as little movement as possible ànd blending in with the cover when I'm coyote hunting.

Not necessarily the movement, but possibly the type of movement? They recognize the decoy as a meal opportunity coupled with prey sounds. You, on the other hand, are much larger and not anything they want to mess with. Just my thoughts .........

And let's not give them too much credit either. I've seen some pretty dumb coyotes over the years. I think it is all dependent on how old (experienced) they are and whether they have been around humans at all. Think about how kids will kick a bee hive, but adults know better.

And what about the video in the Cougar section here where the cat came charging into the decoy with zero hesitation? While most of the time they would put a prolonged stalk on it before committing.

Animals are always going to be unpredictable to some degree. Outsmarting them is 90% of the process.

A few years back I was living in a state that required 600 sq. In. Above the waist during big game seasons. The state was divided into a lot of areas with limited licenses and separate season. So you had to know what each area was doing. I just made orange coat for hunting. I dug it out and my wife took some.pics.

Walking to stand
View attachment 4751
Back
View attachment 4752
Zipped up and pull hood over the hat at the stand
View attachment 4753
That's great! I'm going to attempt my own version.

Blaze (aircraft orange) is for US. The only orange in nature is fall leaves and they don't need to ID them. Question on a forum, do animals see UV light? Why? No natural source of UV on earth. Predators need long range vision and hearing to locate FOOD. Funny. First time I hunted hogs with IR, (I missed - why do mfg make zero for the different reticles DIFFERENT?), hogs just looked my direction and kept feeding until the 6-7th shot. Then they just walked off to the woods. Last time, I 'huffed' and the hog (@ 100 yds) turned to look in my direction. I sat on my ATV ( jeans and blue Tee shirt) 50 yds from feeder and 2 doe just looked at me and kept feeding. Moved and gone. Animals appear to do funny things.

I don't mean to be a contrarian but the sun emits a ton of UV light and that's about as natural as it gets. We know that certain animals such as turkeys and bats can see UV light. I haven't looked too much but I'm pretty sure even cats and dogs can see UV light to some extend .

I don't mean to be a contrarian but the sun emits a ton of UV light and that's about as natural as it gets. We know that certain animals such as turkeys and bats can see UV light. I haven't looked too much but I'm pretty sure even cats and dogs can see UV light to some extend .

I don't remember where I saw it, but someone did an experiment with certain fabrics and colors. And regular old denim jeans glowed like a beacon in daylight from the UV rays. The more faded they were the more they stood out. Kinda goes along with what you are saying. The best colors were subdued browns and greens (well ... duh).

Dog Vision Simulator

Does anyone hunt predators with blaze orange on?

Apparently coyotes, like deer, don't perceive red orange pink and greens like we do. See link above.

Does anyone know about big cats, fox Or other predators?

Wife wants me to wear orange or pink for saftey. Will this lower success if the rest of the stand is right and I'm still?

Thanks

Pink? Sure she's just not trying to get you bred by bigfoot? LoL

I've called in lots of coyotes while elk and deer hunting, wearing the blaze orange jacket and hat, but I still wear camo when after coyotes exclusively.

As has been said, movement will get you noticed.

I think I have had light reflecting off my eyeglasses or scope lens which caused coyotes to leave the area.

Back