Deer - with 20 ga, 3", rifled slug at 50-75 Yards (smooth barrel)

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI've heard they are a kicking sob .

Maybe that's why he hasn't shot it much
grin.gif

Chupa

It's all good John, Sometimes my fingers type faster than my brain can work and I don't word things correctly. It's not the first time and sure as heck won't be the last either.

Shayne

Good information from members.

I live in an area where shotguns are mandated.I've used all sorts of shotgun/barrel combinations over a twenty year period before settling on one.It is the Benelli Super Black Eagle.The upper receiver and fully rifled barrel are solidly joined.As a result of this mating it provides a solid platform from which to launch slugs.It is also drilled and tapped for mounting a scope.With a Nikon Monarch 2-7 scope attached and using Lightfield sabots I'm capable of hitting accurately and consistently at 150 yards.This load shoots a 1 1/4 oz.slug at 1750fps.I sight it in 2" high at 100 yards and it's 4" low at 150.Even at 150 yards it still produces 1350 ft/lbs.of energy.

I could use a smokepole or a handgun but I prefer the Benelli because of its accuracy and its capacity for quick follow up shots when necessary.

I know the original poster asked about a 20Ga.SxS and I think the other members already addressed those concerns,so I thought I might express my experience with this particular gun.If you can afford a Benelli SBE I certainly would highly recommend it.

Good luck.

I know I came in late on this thread but I grew up in Upstate/Western NY and all we could use were shotguns for deer. Rem 870 w/Hasting Rifled bbl. 3" MAG BRI Sabot slugs. A deer doesnt stand a chance @ 50 yds....@ 100yds, it will take a bit of trigger time but its do-able. My shotguns dont hunt deer anymore. Not since I bought my T/C Omega ML......100yds with a peep, no problem. 150yds is my limit.

Last edited:
If you visited your momma more often you would know.

It is generally considered rude, and best not to make comments about people's family members.....

There are certain "internet rules of etiquette" that you just don't violate. Bringing up or insulting people's loved ones is one of them. Some people just have no class.....

I just come on here to ask questions and learn from others who know more than I do. And maybe I can help someone with their question. I don't wish to stir up trouble I got enough of it in my life right now.

Mark2

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunThere are certain "internet rules of etiquette" that you just don't violate. Bringing up or insulting people's loved ones is one of them. Some people just have no class.....
I'll agree on this .

Back