Deer - with 20 ga, 3", rifled slug at 50-75 Yards (smooth barrel)

Shotguns are for shooting shot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

you are absolutely right.

first, most shot guns have way to much play were the barrel meet the receiver to throw accrete round down range consistently . you can shim them with some beer can metal but your better off with a rifled barrel and if a scope is used then mount it on the barrel,, like with a cantilever system so when it move so will the scope.

at best a rifled choke will help , I don't think I would shoot a slug out of a normal shotgun choke .

I shoot a 870 20 gage with a cantilever scope and the barrel is shimmed tight.

Also try different slug to see what she like to throw down range.

with the right set up 20 gages is more then enough.

Last edited:
Tim,

I missed the fact that the OP indicated that he is using an sxs...my fault. I wouldnt use a sxs for the reasons GC mentioned.

My post & results are directed to the prevailing wisdom that shooting slugs out of a smoothbore is largely a waste beyong 50-70yds...

One can certainly shoot shotguns slugs well past 100yds with excellent results however, one would need the proper rifled choke + load combination to do so.

regards,

yea i missed it also
blink.gif

I have dialed in more shotguns/slugs for people than I can remember. They work, some I've seen shoot to 150 yds with very good accuracy. My buddy uses Win Supremes and a rifled barrel. Shoots well.

That said, I've also seen more shotgun deer hunters miss deer than all others combined.

I, personally, will never hunt deer with a shotgun. Just not for me. I'd feel as out of place as if I were duck hunting with a rifle.

We have a shotgun only zone here, but you are allowed to use pistols(not chambered for rifle rounds) and muzzleloaders also. When I hunt this zone, I always use my muzzleloader or a revolver.

Illinois is strictly shotgun? No smoke pole or pistola?

Originally Posted By: GEORGE ACKLEYfirst, most shot guns have way to much play were the barrel meet the receiver to throw accrete round down range consistently . you can shim them with some beer can metal but your better off with a rifled barrel and if a scope is used then mount it on the barrel,, like with a cantilever system so when it move so will the scope.

You mount the sights to the rib, then it moves together. Rifled barrels are definitely better, but a lot more expensive too.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunIllinois is strictly shotgun? No smoke pole or pistola?

Yes, you can use a muzzle loader and pistol. I don't know anyone who uses a pistol, though. MZ's are becoming more popular. About everyone I know uses a shotgun during the firearm season and a muzzle loader during the MZ only season.

Originally Posted By: Tx ShooterTim,

I missed the fact that the OP indicated that he is using an sxs...my fault. I wouldnt use a sxs for the reasons GC mentioned.

My post & results are directed to the prevailing wisdom that shooting slugs out of a smoothbore is largely a waste beyong 50-70yds...

One can certainly shoot shotguns slugs well past 100yds with excellent results however, one would need the proper rifled choke + load combination to do so.

regards,

LOL ! I figured so. It's pretty common on these site for guys to get "type happy" without reading the whole thing !

Nice groups by the way.

My wife has killed 2 black bear with a 12 ga.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOh you mean yesterday? Yes, it was a Savage. He was shooting Hornady SST's I think.......

Yep at the range sorry bout that.

I've never seen one before. I should have looked closer at it. I was to busy making brass ..grin

At first I was like, "what guy?"
confused.gif

If I had to use a shotgun, I'd definitely go with a bolt action with a rifled barrel like he had.....

You can make it out 1/month for a shoot can't you? We'll get you dialed in @ 600yds. Every Wednesday is 600yd practice.....

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunAt first I was like, "what guy?"
confused.gif

If I had to use a shotgun, I'd definitely go with a bolt action with a rifled barrel like he had.....

My Grampa has something that sounds similar to what you're talking about. I don't know the make or model, but I know he paid a small fortune for it and I've seen it on "Top 10 guns of all time" lists. He calls it his "Goose gun", the first time he said that to me I said "But grampa, it's got a rifled barrel?". He said "It's just a name boy".
blushing.gif

Chupa

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunYou can make it out 1/month for a shoot can't you? We'll get you dialed in @ 600yds. Every Wednesday is 600yd practice.....

Get my rifle built this winter I hope.

As far as Wed nights go. I start 2nd shift Tues (Sept 7)till schools out for the summer. So those are out, till summer.

Will see.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunReally long barrel, 30" or more?

30" sounds a bit long, going from memory here. I can kinda describe it to ya. Profile looks similar to a 700P or PSS with a Red and Black Mcswirly on it and a DBM. Bolt action and if seen from a distance it just looks like a rifle with a varmint contour barrel, atleast that's what I would see if I didn't already know what it was. No cantilever, optics mount to the bases on the reciever just like a VS, 700P or PSS blah blah blah

I know I've seen it on a recent list, I'll do some diggin and get back to ya.

Chupa

Found it! It's a Tar-Hunt RSG-12. Found it in the article from Field and Stream "50 best guns ever made" it was number 38 on the list. Sad thing is, I'll bet his hasn't been shot more than 10 times and not at all in the last 10 years.

Chupa

Last edited:
Back