Death to coyotes NOW

First of all, I sent ya a PM about posting that pic.

Secondly, I don't know Illinois law at all but was thinking that if you are in the burbs, you'll be better off with a quiet method of dealing with the coyotes.

If you can find someone with a shrouded air rifle in .25 cal (like a Benjamin Marauder), you may be able to get him/her to help you out. The shrouded air rifles are super quiet...I shoot mine in my apartment living room and nobody hears a thing. They are powerful enough to humanely dispatch a yote with a good head shot out to 70 yards or so. I would not go lower in caliber than .25 though.

Just a thought.

Here are pics Wags sent of his dog after getting torn into by the coyote:

PICT0102.JPG

PICT0106.JPG

PICT0107.JPG

These pictures are 8 days after the attack. Left ear will not stand up anymore. Was torn pretty bad. All behind his leg is bruising. Many puncture marks in the stomach area.
He is doing much better now. Plus he is an old dog. 11. Heals slow. His leg looks much better. Skin is back to being attached to muscle. Before you could put your finger under the skin, curl around the back of the leg and come out the other side.
He is a great dog.
Wags

Poor guy! I hope he gets better soon. An old dog deserves better than to be mauled like that.

I would think the Illinois laws would allow certain exceptions for defending one's property and family from potential danger, which you have well-documented with those photos. One more hit like that and your dog will likely be headed to that big kennel in the sky. Good luck!

Thanks for the support for my dog. He is a great dog. Looks much better now. 5 weeks later. He looked much worse the week before the pictures. You are hunters. You know what mangled meat/ flesh looks like. He is 11. I figured it was 2 at least. It happened middle of Feb, so breeding time.
Wrong time, wrong place I guess.
Now, you can imagine when I saw 2 coyotes (probably the same 2 based on direction of travel and 30' from my door) why I was a little pissy.
Thanks for letting me gripe.
Wags

wags, im not sure about the laws in IL, but if snare's are legal, that would be a great option, especially since your dog is running around. if he has ever been tied up, then if he ever gets caught in the trap, he will just sit there, and wait for you to come unhook him. would be the safest trap when kids, and pets are close by.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeywags, im not sure about the laws in IL, but if snare's are legal, that would be a great option, especially since your dog is running around. if he has ever been tied up, then if he ever gets caught in the trap, he will just sit there, and wait for you to come unhook him. would be the safest trap when kids, and pets are close by.

X2

My brother in MI has a similar issue, Yotes are coming in his back woods(they begin 10yds out the back door) every few days yapping up a storm an trying to lure his pets in the woods for the kill, also waking his family at all hours.

He called the CO, simply put, the reg states your allowed to "TAKE" animals that are doing or about top do damage to your property or causing a nuisance.

Well, as apposed to sitting out all day an night, a 1/2 dozen Duke 1.75 footholds are on order in case the problem precises.

Check your regs, Call a CO, show him yer pics of your pet an see if that's a possibility(traps)?

If it is, The traps, lure an bait can all be had for under $40.

Tons of vids on YouTube on how to make simple dirt-hole stets. Which are very popular sets for catching yotes.

An if you get a non-target catch, it can be released from the foothold with no harm to the animal.

Just another idea.

Jon...

No go on the snare idea in Illinois. I would simply bait them with a road kill deer carcass and keep a close eye on the carcass. Keep the rifle handy.

Thats horrible, I hope your dogs is doing better. If anything like that ever happend to my dope I wouldnt know what too do.

Heres my dope
DSC_0018b.jpg

if your considering traps i would urge you to find a local trapper who can help you and shed some light on the laws if you have domestic dogs running around that could spell trouble for yourself generaly you can contact a co and they will take care of the matter for you or findsomeone who will.
theres alot more to trapping then buying some traps and punching a few hole sets.

non targets can be released with no issue but however a novice trapper should not put himself in that sitchuation
snares are a diffrent story if it is not a live restraint device your seriously asking for trouble with non targets around.

i hope you get them sorry to hear about your dog have you documented this? the next time they go after a trap ban or try to protect coyotes id show them the pictures and story

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kizmo
I would think the Illinois laws would allow certain exceptions for defending one's property and family from potential danger, which you have well-documented with those photos.

Optimism is fun, but were talking about Illinois. Probably the most anti state in the union.

Wags, are you comfortable posting a pic of your backyard or at least describing? Do you back up to woods, houses, commercial property, how close are your neighbors, etc? PM me the link to the picture if you'd like, I can post it up.

Anyway, if you back up to woods...can you set up some roadkill bait within say 25-30 yds of your house? Set up some kind of blind, and wait out with a bow? Quiet at least. Then shovel and shutup. Just an idea...

I'll take a pic out of my door. No problem.
To the east open fields 1000+ yards, west, pasture, open for 10 to 150 yards. This direction is the challenge. North 330 yards to the woodline (ask me how I know), south.. open mostly for 500+ yards. The only obstructions are 1 pole barn, trees and stuff. North is the best shooting direction. East follows a second. West and south are tough due to trees, etc.
Closest visible house is 400+ yards. I can and do shoot out the doors, windows, etc. Just have not done it lately. Not safe for the 50 cal, but any reasonable person can shoot safely here.
Wags

I have lost pets to coyotes. Glad your dog is doing better. Them are some nasty wounds........bowl of Alpo and a Rifle/Crossbow/High Power Air Rifle and the yotes are history.....

Last edited:
Back