Coyote with an Air Rifle??

theres a guy on pellet head network that lives in a managment area and used his benjamin discovery to drop deer in his back yard. he also studied the weak points of there skull and practiced the shot needed before he tried on deer and he took them out.

if in a practical range and shot placment in absolutly perfect then a airforce condor should have no issues dropping a yote with a perfect brain shot. key word is perfect

sure did like reading this tread.Im hearing alot of yotes one feild away from my house,and im thinking of going and sitting their at night and pop some. Im making a IFR flash light and also a pair of glasses so that i can see at night.I'll see them and hopefully they wont see me untill too late.I want to see if they will come in to atleast 30 yards. I'll be using a Ben.trail XL1100 its .22 cal. First im going to test out different grains of pellets and try to ave. out the best combination, for FPS and LBS. Im thinking 18 grain
Good hunting everyone,and have fun.
John

I always though that pellet guns were just for shooting Small birds and rats, and not powerfull or could go a long range. Well to my suprise all this is not true any more.I you havent tried a new high powered pellet rifle you shouldn't bash them.
Just bought a Ben.Trail XL1100 .22 cal. at first i made a back stop ,it was the metal from a micro wave case. well just at 30 yards just to site the scope in the pellets were going right through it. Then i said holy smokes.So i went and got a piece of 3/4 plywood and put that over the metal back stop, about half of the pellets go through BOTH , the wood and metal. I just couldn't get over it. So at 50 yds i tried it. and it goes through the plywood.Thats 3/4 plywood.
Im not saying that its a 30/30 or 303. But i sure wouldn't want to get hit in the head with it. I don't think my head is as strong as a piece of 3/4 plywood
John
Yes i think it will kill a coyote.

I took this 33 lb male cotyote a couple weeks ago at 50 yds with my Airforce talon Talon .25 cal. airgun. It shoots solid cast bullets at 80 ftlbs of energy. Airguns can be made into very accurate machines perfect for more populated hunting areas.

I have a .25 cal Pushing Over 60 fpe I use it as my fox gun under 70 yards they are done. For coyote I have a Haley .308 Pushing 140 Fpe with 96 grain hollow points and 170 fpe when I use the 140 grain solids Deadly out to 100 yards

Interesting thread-op asked for opinions and got them. Nothing nasty in my few- just some campfire humor. I am ignorant myself about the current state of air gun technology so this will inspire me to learn a bit more. Everyone on this board is probably interested in any thing that shoots so its all good.

Just wondering how much noise does one of these high powered air rifles make?- Say as compared to a .22 rimfire short, cb, etc etc.

Tuning in the benjamin marauder or an air force condor you can get 80 ft lbs with a 25 cal. No coyote is gonna run after taking one of those through the noggin. An experienced air gun hunter could do it all day long within its limits. People hunt hog with them. then again....what caliber would be used? they make air rifles all the way up to .50 cal

well my .25 cal sounds pretty much like using a staple gun in a pine board. I shoot all the time in the yard and pellet impact is.much louder than the shot. My 308 without the shroud is still a bit quieter than a rimfire but more knockdown power for sure with the new shroud being made it will be like a .22 short sound wise. But I can say that at 53 yards it went through a coyotes ribs in one side out the other using the 130 grain round nose solids. I have a new batch of 96 grain deep cavity wide mouth HPs to test on game yet. But in a water jug they get full expansion.

Originally Posted By: gamohunterhttp://www.americanairgunhunter.com/brian_coyote.html

This is by far an article about one of the best airgun predator hunters in USA.

yep....for sure. Brian kills more coyotes with air guns than many do with centerfire rifles or shotguns. Many would say that anything less than a 300 win mag is not enough gun for elk......yet thousands of them are taken every year with a sharp stick (archery equipt.)! The key is to know your equipment and it's limitations.

Back