Coyote with an Air Rifle??

Quote (well you can make a bad shot with a 300 wsm also
but if you know your gun and know your range and keep them in check you will be fine) If you already think this then why ask our opinion about it? Do you need reassurance from your peers or just asking permission to do something that you know isn't ethical?

Originally Posted By: Gman757Chupa...I know a guy that was a sniper in Iraq and he told me about how they deal with coyotes on their hunting lease. They bury sections of large plastic pipe at a sharp downward angle and then throw some chicken parts into the bottom. The coyote forces himself down into the pipe to get the chicken and it's too steep and slick for him to back out...so now he is stuck.
They check them the next day and if they find one in the pipe they stick a .357 magnum up his butt and put a round in him.
I guess you would call that a high percentage and low margin for error, but it's not for me. To each his own.

Don't know what they call it in Iraq, But here in the U.S. we call that "Trapping". It's been used with great success here for a few years in the great out doors.....ever been there?

Chupa

Originally Posted By: WildwvIf you could only hear how many times I have heard that one of these days my 22-250 would let a deer get away from me.I have had someone say something like to me every year for 20 yrs. and it still has not let me down. If your sure your gun will do it then have a good hunt.

So now we're comparing a .22 caliber air rifle to a .22-250
crazy.gif
? Here in Texas I know many people that use a .223 for harvesting our small whitetails and don't have a problem with it as it's legal and effective within it's limitations. However, when and if those hunters come to me complaining about the 1 1/2 mile track they put on their runner due to a less than perfect shot placement......I'm not willing to listen. Is horsepower the end-all to bad shot placement? NO! But there is NO substitute for it either. I'm not saying that if you go into the field with anything less than a .338 Edge you are being un-ethical...Far from it. I'm just saying that some thought needs to be given to your skill set and abilities and find a happy medium or compromise. Hope for the best and plan for the worse, and give your self the best advantage one can give to succeed and still be fair to your game.

Chupa

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CatkillerQuote (well you can make a bad shot with a 300 wsm also
but if you know your gun and know your range and keep them in check you will be fine) If you already think this then why ask our opinion about it? Do you need reassurance from your peers or just asking permission to do something that you know isn't ethical?

well since you post this i DIDNT make the original post here i am 100% confident in making clean kill with n air rifle
i dont have a doubt in my mind as i have done it
i know my guns and know the ranges i WONT take a shot if it doesnt present its self to be perfect for the situation

Originally Posted By: bigwheeler58 ft lbs at the muzzle is way shy of a 40 grain 22 long rifle at 100 yards.
They'll range from 75 ft lbs for a subsonic to 100 or so for a regular
long rifle. Can be done, but I wouldn't.
where are you getting this number from?
my condor i used was shooting at 83 ft lbs
more than enough for the job if you keep it perfect and nothing less

Originally Posted By: lon0121Originally Posted By: Gman757Chupa...I know a guy that was a sniper in Iraq and he told me about how they deal with coyotes on their hunting lease. They bury sections of large plastic pipe at a sharp downward angle and then throw some chicken parts into the bottom. The coyote forces himself down into the pipe to get the chicken and it's too steep and slick for him to back out...so now he is stuck.
They check them the next day and if they find one in the pipe they stick a .357 magnum up his butt and put a round in him.
I guess you would call that a high percentage and low margin for error, but it's not for me. To each his own.

man,
there are easier and less challeging ways to get coyotes! i wouldnt even use a 22 lr and that seems to have more power than the airguns youve mentioned!
yes there are less challenging ways to get them but thats why some chose to use a harder method more thrill in the hunt knowing you HAVE to wait for a closer shot and a perfect shot or let em walk
if all hunter went by your theory then there would be no bow hunters as using a fire arm is easier but they do it for the challenge
also do you own a 50 bmg?
i mean it is easier to kill a yote with a hit from that than a 223 right?
to each his own i guess
i know that with my airguns i know the range card on it to the T and could predict my shots no problem just have to pass on poor shots i dont understand why people get worked up over someone wanting to use this as a hunting tool
NY just legalised an air rifle for small game hunting for any airgun over 600 fps it doesnt men im gonna go shoot a yote with a daisy multipump .177
if it is legal and the hunter is doing every thing to make sure its a clean kill then why give em a hassle?
i like the idea of using quiet airguns in an area where gunfire could endup having cops called

I plan to take an elk with a rock, and I'm thinking about going after a trophy griz with my custom folding knife. What a challenge!!

Originally Posted By: nmleonI plan to take an elk with a rock, and I'm thinking about going after a trophy griz with my custom folding knife. What a challenge!!

Once again I'll go back to the well. That's what that little plastic toothpick in the end of your swiss army knife is for
thumbup.gif

Chupa

I think its the stigma that an "air rifle" just won't due for anything beond killing gofers and the errant bird that happens by. couple that with the idea that you have to shoot a hundred yards and the your mind screams no way.
knowing the limitations both yours and your weapons, and making clean kills thats the point.

We all have to look ourselves in the eye and know we did our part.

SSG RED

You can also drive a semi truck using just your feet, but it probably isn't a very good idea.

Just because shooting a coyote with a .22 cal air rifle may eventually leads to the coyotes death, doesn't mean that doing so is a real good idea.

I would also agree with Chupa that the "head shot" is a pretty low percentage shot.

A slingshot??? Are you even serious?

I'm thinkin about giving a coyote a really bad paper cut and letting an infection set in, and wait for him to die...
blushing.gif

No thanks, my .223 will be the smallest caliber I'll take afield with me.

here is my post regarding the slingshot
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...410#Post1683410

i have been shooting it a ton and at 20 yards i can keep the groups to 2 iches at 30 i am getting 4 inch gps
shooting a 515 grain total weight arrow at 246 fps

i chronyed my arrows today
i also chronied my 50 lb recurve again and that is shooting the same arrows at 231 fps so yeah its definatley doable just need to get one into range and stay still
otherwise they get the pass

Originally Posted By: crowpopperOriginally Posted By: bigwheeler58 ft lbs at the muzzle is way shy of a 40 grain 22 long rifle at 100 yards.

http://www.firearmexpertwitness.com/customguns/calcnrg.html

Using the OP's numbers 55.08

"Don't know what they call it in Iraq, But here in the U.S. we call that "Trapping". It's been used with great success here for a few years in the great out doors.....ever been there?"

Chupa....have never done any trapping, nothing wrong with it but it does not appeal to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigwheelerOriginally Posted By: crowpopperOriginally Posted By: bigwheeler58 ft lbs at the muzzle is way shy of a 40 grain 22 long rifle at 100 yards.

http://www.firearmexpertwitness.com/customguns/calcnrg.html

Using the OP's numbers 55.08
blushing.gif

sorry about that i didnt see his numbers posted
and thanks for the link i use another one but this one has more options

your going to compare my theory of the air gun to bowhunting? a bow is just as ethical as a gun! people know that! thats why they take the shot with them! as for air guns! man your chances are slim AT BEST to make your head shot and chances are you will get winded before he gets close enough to let you make that shot! now with that said! you said you want to do this crap the hard way because "anybody" can drop a yote with a .223! Why dont you take the bow out! its a garuntee kill and i can assure you its gonna be a hard shot!

im done here!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BUTCHER45 BigBore airguns are good for predators at short range. I'll save the smallbore airguns for sqwerls (though I like the idea of using a Sumatra .25 shooting 55grainers on fox).

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...964#Post1275964

Butcher, I agree with you. A big bore airgun is adequate for taking predators at short range, some of those things are pushing a 300 gr projectile approaching 1,000 fps, within it's limitations that is MORE than adequate. But to avoid further confusion, there is a big difference between a .45 caliber adult airgun and a .22 caliber airgun of any variety. I know the airforce condor is not a childs toy but it's not the same as what is in your slideshow either. I just don't want other to mis-construe what you are saying.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: crowpopperi have taken my bow out and shot yotes with it ive gotten 3 so far
1 i called in the others i shot while on deer stand

You've taken more coyotes with your bow than some others posting in this thread have taken by any means.

A coyote with a bow, called or otherwise, has got to be tough to do. I say good job!

Back