Copenhagen

I'm in the same situation... I know I should quit. As a matter of fact, I have quit... several times... I'm just not any good a quitting. I finally realized that Dad didn't raise any quitters!! Kidding aside, Best of luck to you..

I'm 22 and have been chewing since I was 17 or so. I started chewing skoal. My dad always chewed cope long. I hated it at first. But a can or two later and I was hooked. That's all I've been chewing for the last few years. It's like nothing else out there. I get killer heartburn from it, and any snuff in general. I tried to just up and quit from the cope, but it killed me. I couldn't go anymore then a day or two before I would buy a can.

So...I figured...they make mint snuff, mint fake snuff, mint gum, and mint mints. I've been chewing mainly skoal mint now, and changing it up between tic tacs and gum. It's still a work in progress, but the tic tacs make a good crutch.

On a higher note, my dad quit chewing about a year ago. He always chewed cope long ever since I can remember. It can be done!

Merry Christmas!

This thread is great, because it's making a lot of people think and try to improve their lives. I hope all of you quitting right now STAY QUIT! I've been a user of Skoal fine cut for 29 years now, with the occasional switch to other brands just for a change. I'm 44 now, and currently dip about a can every two days, which is better than the can a day I used to dip. The absolute longest I've quit since starting was last year at this time. I used sunflower seeds, nicotine gum, regular gum and Smokey Mountain. I made it for a couple of weeks using those products, but then decided to buy a pouch of Red Man "to take the edge off" a couple times a day. Heck, it won't hurt, right? I'm used to fine cut, not leaf tobacco. It took the edge off, but then I notice I was using it a little more often than a couple times a day. I went to get gas after work one day, saw an older man (in his 70's or 80's) in line in front of me, and he bought a can of something. I lost it right then, thinking "this guy has probably chewed his whole life, he's old, so why can't I do that?" I bought a can when it was my turn at the register. I felt so guilty about it, especially when I had to tell my wife and daughter at home that I had caved. They were supportive and encouraging, telling me that it happens and to just try again. I made it 6 weeks and one day. The problem is, I haven't tried to quit again since, and I'm not mentally ready to. The second longest I had quit was back in Air Force basic training in the late 80's. It was only a six-week program back in those days, and so I made it for 6 weeks. The day after basic, I went and bought two cans of Skoal.

By the way, I found Smokey Mountain to be too full of sugar (molasses) or something, because it started making my teeth hurt horribly. Maybe others have had better results. I did order a few cans of Hooch online while trying to quit, and that didn't seem as bad teeth-wise.

It's a very hard habit to break, but people do it all the time. I personally know people who have done it. I just haven't been able to myself. Like many are saying, you have to WANT to quit, or it just isn't going to happen. I sincerely hope and pray that all of you who want to quit, will. Sorry for the long post. Good luck!

Well, I quit on Monday the 17. It hasn't been easy. Been dippin' snuff for 20yrs. Started when I was 15, 35 now. Quit once in college for a year then caved. Reading everyone's posts about quitting is perfect timing for me. So, Thank You. Using Hooch and chewing gum. Been sick with a head cold and sore throat last week, so I had backed off quite a bit. Thought it would be a good time to try and quit. So far so good. Good luck to everyone. I hope we can all be quitters!

Stay after it fellas. It is an incredibly powerful addiction. I've been one that always believed it was the 599 approved additives the tobacco companies add to their products that cause a lot of the health issue and not just the tobacco.

All I can add is think of your family. Good luck!

The response on this thread is unbelievable, I knew there were many out there that had the same issues as I have. I'm, on day one! Clean...

Love PM!

Ya know, I really can't relate, since I don't chew or smoke, and never have, but my old man chewed/chews, and I'd venture that 90% of my friends do.

In my experience, outside looking in, frankly, it really flat sucks that guys can't just drop it. I think it's 1) unfortunate that so many guys DO want to quit, but can't, and 2) admirable that so many guys do quit, or at least TRY to quit, even as hard as it might be.

A lot of my friends and family have been through quitting, starting again, quitting again, etc etc, and while I don't know first hand how hard it is, I do know "second hand" how difficult it is.

Here's my most recent experience with someone quitting, it was a really silly suggestion at first, but it's working for my buddy so far, and I'm happy to help him:

One of my good friends and co-workers started trying to quit smoking when they found out his wife was pregnant with their second child. McKenna is 3 this month... He's been off and on a few different times, might go 3mos or more at a time without a cigarette, I've been his "support buddy" for the last 6mos, and he's been doing really well this time around. Our deal is that if he needs a cigarette, he has to call me to ask for permission first, if he can convince me that he "deserves one", then I agreed that I would tell him he can... Ultimately, the exercise forces him to think about why he "needs" a cigarette. He calls, says "man, I'm dying for a cigarette," and I ask him, "well, why do you need one?" He never has a good answer, and ultimately, he decides for himself that he doesn't need one. He DID use E-cigs and then nicorette gum to get off of the nicotine slowly. The first few months, he'd call and say he needed a cigarette, I'd tell him his reason wasn't good enough, but if he was stressed, he could hit an E-cig or gum. Then he eventually had to call and ask if he could use the E-cig or gum too, and then it came down to he just doesn't need it anymore. He still calls, but it's less often.

There was only ONE day where I did tell him he could justify a cigarette, which was a long story, he was on a search party for a guy that lived up the street from him, his mom had found a note saying he was walking into the woods to kill himself, and my buddy was the one that found him. I figured he didn't need to deal with "needing" a cigarette and process that all at the same time.

Hang tough brothers. It's a heavy burden to carry to "kick the nic", but if a person WANTS to quit, then don't let anything stop you from getting what you need to get off it.

Today is the start of day 5 for me. Feeling pretty good actually.. I think the 2nd day was the hardest. But in all honesty it has not been that bad.

My wife asked me a few years ago... why are so addicted to that chit.... Me being the way I am I said I can quit this stuff cold turkey any time I want... Last night she reminded me of that comment I made that I had pretty much forgotten about. She said good job. Your doing what you said you could do. It just took you till you were ready.

It feels good knowing I will be a better influence on my kids. My daughter is 5 and always asked why I ate horse food (Copenhagen)I do not know where she came up with the idea that it was horse food. ha ha

Any ways you guys that are also trying to quit. Keep it up! I think Im good to go and will not start again! With the things I have promised my self I would be letting my self down if I did.

oooh that link was killer. I said earlier I didn't have the will power yet but reading all these posts sure helps. I didn't have one yesterday so I am on day two. I hope I can fight it.

Im on day 40! Smoked Camel's since 16, but I dont wanna die young (32 now). Been going to open gym playing ball once a week. Kinda nice being able to run up and down the court again. Just been trying to stay busy with things. Took up trapping a few weeks ago and [beeep] that'll keep ya busy!! lol

Its tough and sucks big time, but now is the time!! Quit for 6 months a couple years ago and got cocky thought I could smoke just one......nope!!

Good luck to everyone!!

One dip at a time guys. Just decide to not have this one. Repeat as necessary. Get past this one and it will get easier.

Good Job Clayne. I'm sure your family appreciates what you are doing.
thumbup.gif

Back