Copenhagen

I quit June of last year. Had a year and a half of quit once during my 10 years of chewing.

I find I miss copenhagen everyday, I'm jealous of those of you don't. Nonetheless I'm good without it and I see the benefit in my health just in the time I've been quit.

Today is day 50 for me and still doing good, although I seem to have put on about ten pounds or so. Seems like all I want to do is drink coffee and eat. Anyway, hang in there boys, and all you guys still smoking and chewing feel free to join us.

Good job to all the guys that are staying quit! I give up chewing a couple months ago. I had a little set back yesterday,I fell off the wagon.I took a chew from a guy at work. Boy was it good! This chew was not my normal brand, I always chewed Mammoth Cave twist. I said what the heckand stopped on the way home and bought one. After supper,I cut off the tail end. This is my favorite chew for some reason. Then I got a phone call from a buddy,while talking to him and swallowing the juice like I usally did, IT HIT ME!!!!! The wagon ran right over me! I broke out in a very bad sweat. I took off me clothes except my underwear, still sweating. I went outside on the porch, steam came off of my body like an hot Amish horse. Moments later I was out in the yard feeding our Border Collie what I had for supper. Today I climbed back in the wagon, got in my seat and hanging on for the ride.

Stay strong and good luck to all that have quit or want to. nek

Very impressive! Every one of you! You are an inspiration to me and others fighting tobacco addiction! Please keep posting your successes and slips as both help us all make it another day! And another....

Originally Posted By: neK I broke out in a very bad sweat. I took off me clothes except my underwear, still sweating. I went outside on the porch, steam came off of my body like a hot Amish horse.

best descriptive narrative of the day, had a good chuckle

I'm still off the cancer sticks since Nov, have had I think eight single smokes since then but doing really well. Also made a cut back in wobbly pops which helps to ward off cravings.

Day 82 here. I have moments where I crave a pinch of snuff, but then I remember that I don't do that anymore and the craving is gone. That being said, my lip is chewed up something fierce from the sunflower seeds.

Chupa

Glad to see people are quitting I have something like a little over a year in. I think I quit the last week of feb last year can't remember, it's weird though I still have dreams that I am chewing, I hope it goes away but there not that bad, it's cool though i don't even think about it anymore. Good luck to you all

This is a wierd coincidence. Tis is the first time I've visited the site in a month or two and this is the first thread that caught my eye. Was on another forum this evening to and also saw a thread about quitting dip. I quit dipping right before antelope season started in 2011. I quit it for a year and started back again right before hunting season this year. I've been wanting to quit and I'm done tonight. I didn't have a dip for two days a couple weeks ago and cravings were bad so I thought I'd buy another can and "ween" myself off. Well it didn't work. I'm done. Luckily I have a job where I can't chew at work so nothing I can do about that but the tough part will be at home but I CAN DO THIS!!! It will be tough but I already kind of know what to expect. I'll take all the help and encouragement I can get guys! I like the idea about putting $5 into a jar every day or two. That will be funds for a new scope for my 243 or a new barrel for my 22-250!

Guys I support your cause and feel your pain. Everyday! I stopped dipping cope almost 3 years ago after doing it for close to 25 years.

Quitsmokeless.org Helped me out at the time. Some inspiration and help there.

Advice don't cave in, you might think I can just take this one because I got this beat. Don't do it stay strong,

One day at a time it gets easier.

You fellas seem to be doing well with kicking the habit.
thumbup.gif

I know it ain't easy but it is amazing what you can do when you are committed.

Here's some info for those who want to quit smoking.

" Within ...
• 20 minutes
Your blood pressure, pulse rate and the temperature of your hands and feet have returned to normal.
• 8 hours
Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.75% reduction.
• 12 hours
Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.
• 24 hours
Anxieties have peaked in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.
• 48 hours
Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability will have peaked.
• 72 hours
Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lung's functional abilities are starting to increase.
• 5-8days
The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.
• 10 days
10 days - The "average" ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.
• 10daysto2 weeks
Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in your gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.
• 2to4weeks
Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.
• 21 days
Brain acetylcholine receptor counts that were up- regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non- smokers.
• 2weeksto3 months
Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.
• 3weeksto3 months
Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared. If not, get seen by a doctor, and sooner if at all concerned, as a chronic cough can be a sign of lung cancer.
• 8 weeks
Insulin resistance in smokers has normalized despite average weight gain of 2.7 kg (1997 study).
• 1to9 months
Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs, thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.
• 1 year
Your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke have dropped to less than half that of a smoker.
• 5 years
Your risk of a subarachnoid haemorrhage has declined to 59% of your risk while still smoking (2012 study). If a female ex-smoker, your risk of developing diabetes is now that of a non-smoker (2001 study).
• 5to15years
Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non- smoker.
• 10 years
Your risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% and 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus and pancreas have declined. Risk of developing diabetes for both men and women is now similar to that of a never-smoker (2001 study and 2012 study)."

Wow! This sort of died didn't it. You guys have been an inspiration to me and each other. Hope the silence means you are past the point of no return and doing well!

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Awesome, Chupa. Very good work!

How's the other folks doing?

eeaagh...work and weather have been tough had some hiccups and spring for me seems always to be for some reason a tough time but have no "plans" on letting the habit take me again.

Great to hear many are doing well. It's not easy.

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyKnow what is funny? I'll have dreams where I'm dipping, and when I wake up I feel like I have cheated and be in a bad mood for a few hours.
Chupa

I quit dipping Skoal one day at least 39 years ago, going from using 2-2 1/2 cans a day to zero overnight. Against the advice of others who had tried/or kicked the habit, I carried an open can in my pocket for several months after making the decision to quit.

I was having a particularly difficult day at work one day and the nagging urge to take a dip just wouldn't go away until I finally gave in. Fortunately, in spite of the calm that settled in immediately, reason overcame and I spit it out right away, realizing I had gone through the toughest part of the process and would probably never make a second attempt if this one failed.

I, too, had dreams such as you described for many years. Haven't had one in a few years, so hang in there, Chupa.......they too will pass.

Regards,
hm

Finally kicked the habit myself! Quit back in feb. switched to nicotine gum for a little while to get past the worst of it, and now I am free and clear of it all and doing good. Haven't cheated once! The cravings are still there occasionally, but it's all a mental thing. To everyone who posted on this thread THANK YOU!!! And to those who are still trying to quit hang in there!!!

Back