Calling Tactics and Sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rich, I definately remember telling you we were about to write a book here. Look at what we've covered so far and haven't even touched set up yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Terry, what do you look for in a downwind calling setup and why? It's got to be diferent from a western setup such as Rich described above.Jimmie

Hey Gentlemen,
Been out for a while but see this thing is really going!! This was one of the best ideas yet. Thanks Rich and Jimmie!! The other boards don't know what they are missin over here. Keep it coming!!! How about some stand tips and calling tactics.

I like to setup my FoxPro about 50yds or more in front of my stand. That way if they circle downwind in some cover that I can't see well, they will still pop out up wind of me for a shot looking for the call.

In farm country like western Iowa, most of the coyote calling is done either in the late fall & winter after the crops are harvested, or in spring before the cover gets too tall again. The places to look for coyotes is where the rabbits and game birds are. Wet spots in the fields where grass & weeds provide small patches of cover, along creeks, rivers, spring runs and etc. In hill country I find coyotes in those steep brushy draws and cedar thickets too.

Lets take one of those narrow spring runs with grass and weeds growing along it. I like to find a high spot, either down-wind or cross-wind of that spring run for my hidey hole and call from there.

I have one field in my area where a spring run is in middle of a harvested field, and coyotes have to travel across maybe three or four hundred yards of open field to make their way over to my chosen stand. I know that coyotes will be out in the open field during hours of darkness, as they love to hunt for mice in those fields. I like to make that spot my first calling stand of the morning, so I arrive there about 30 minutes before first light. When it gets just barely light enough for me to see for a distance of fifty yards or so, I begin my first series of screams. Coyote's eyes are still ajusting at that time and they think it is still dark, HEE HEE. The joke is on them! They approach the sound of my calls with much boldness. More times than not, I give the coyote a 90 grain Sierra BTHP for his trouble.

Theres always that one farm or spot you can't call for some reason. The wind never gets right or you can't get permission or just not enough cover for you. That's when you hunt on imagination.

To hunt on imagination just back off the cover downwind and lay flat out in the field behind a clump of grass, pile of bean chafe , sage grass clump , what ever is handy.You need to be at least fifty yards from the cover in order to see well, you don't want to be turning your head a lot. Being a little higher is nice but not always nescescary.Whether you use a mouth call or e-calls doesn't matter a bit. Song dog will poke his head out of the cover and stand there looking for the source long enough to meet his maker. I use this stunt on deer as well. Jimmie

One of my favorite places to call is a north south fencerow.The travel lane runs from a saddle in a ridge to the south down a grassed waterway then up the fencrow. The spot I call from is in between a six acre woodlot and a fifteen acre thicket. Only fifty yards between the two covers but every dog uses the beanfield side. A southwest wind is needed to blow your scent out into the pasture to the east and north of the woodslot.A big oak stands where the thicket and beanfield join. Positioning there allows me to see into the thicket a bit in case one tries the back door. Jimmie

Hey guys, I am new to coyote hunting but love it. I have learned a ton just by reading all your posts in this thread, but I am not sure I understand all of your terminology. I know I'm not that bright but I'm not sure I know what a saddle or hollow is. Remember, I'm new to this. I am from MO and I hunt the thick stuff also because that is all I have to hunt where I go, but I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. By reading all this I think I'm starting to understand a little more, keep it up, it is really helpful.

Tally,
A Saddle is a low spot in ridge top that makes easy place for animals to cross to other side. A Hollow, at least to me sounds like a kentucky guy describing a "valley" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . Welcome Tally!!

Here's a neat little way to be able to learn terrain features and then associate with a topo map. I learned this when I was a Recon Cav Scout.

Make a fist.

Your knuckles are hill tops.
Between your knuckles are saddles.
All four of your knuckles combined make a ridge.
Your fingers coming up to your knuckles are spurs.
The lines between your fingers make hollows.
The bottom of your fist makes the valley.

It's kinda hard to explain, wish I could just show it. Hope you get the idea though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

See ya,

Bopeye,
That is a great example, now I know what that mess o' hair is on the back of my hand....
a thicket! LOL!!

Tally-Ho,
Don't be afraid to jump in. We'll have you all talking southern in no time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I forget not every one has hollows and saddles.
What I call a hollow is a small drainage area between two steep paralleling ridges, some have creeks or small streams flowing through. Several hollows can come together to form a larger valley.

A few other terms:
Bottom, a fairly low lying piece of ground at the lower end of a hollow.

Gorge, a deep ravine.

Swamp, something to stay out of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OK Jimmie, let's talk some set-ups. I'll throw something in that Rich mentioned too.

Follow me on this hunt as I screw it up. It's early March, cold, windy, and crusty leftover snow cover on the ground. Dad and I park at a U.S. Forest Service gate and climb steadily up through the timber to get on top of a long ridge which winds for about six miles before it cuts across a blacktop county road. It's still forest ground on the other side of the blacktop too, but this area is six miles long roughly by 12 miles wide to another blacktop county road. Pretty good chunk of forest ground trapped between these blacktops. Enough to scout for coyotes within. The added bonus of this spot is that on this end of this section of forest there are a few farms scattered around. Farms mean dogs, cats, calves, pigs, chickens, ect... After the coyote makes his raid on the farm he can retreat into the big timber to escape. Pretty good area.

Anyway, Dad and I find quite a few tracks, scat, and piss post scratching along the ridgetop. We decide after several hours of hiking the ridgetop that we'll scout some of the hollows and work our way back toward the truck. We had noted two spots on the ridgetop that the tracks left the ridge and dropped off into a large hollow. One was through a saddle, the other down a spur ridge. In this one particular hollow we find a fresh den site. This hollow has a year round spring running down it and we follow the spring branch. It leads us out to a rare find. An actual field! Fields are few and far between in the Ozark's Mark Twain National Forest around my area. This field had a decent pond along one side of it. The pond was about 250 yards from the big timber and surrounded by brushy cover from the spring. This spring branch flows down from the head of the hollow where the den site is, through the big timber, and through the field to the pond. At the spot where the spring branch enters the field the Forest Service had cut away a bunch of cedar trees and made some large brush piles. The branch is a cutout from the topography of the field and has some brushy cover and a scattering of trees along it all the way to the pond.

As I said above the pond is 250 yards from the brush piles and area where the branch enters the field. But, the pond is only about 50 yards from the timber along one side of the field. There is a kill of a duck of some sort along one bank of the pond by an owl. Coyote tracks all around in the snow. Dad and I decide to come back and call the area in a week or so after our intrusion is forgotten by the resident coyotes.

A week later we sneak into the pond from downwind, just at dark. Actually, the wind is a strong crosswind, blowing from my left to my right at about a 90 degree angle. The only problem was this, occasionally it would switch ever so slightly so that it was actually blowing at about a 45 degree angle from BEHIND ME, left to right. I reasoned that really wouldn't matter all that much. The coyotes would approach from the upper left, down the spring branch and it's cover to the call. Even if the wind switched on me, so what, they'd be nearly to the pond before the scent stream would collide with them. By that time I would have them flattened in the snow. Dad decided to cover the bank of the pond nearest to the timber since it was a blind spot.

After we settled in and let things quiet down some, I hit the first smallish screams from the Arizona Predator Calls Fox Call. This is a honey call for me with just the right amount of rasp. The muted down screams floated over the field and into the dark woods across the long side of the field. After a minute or so, I played my tune again, just a bit louder. In the middle of my screaming this second time, I saw them. Two coyotes literally racing each other to the call. Hard chargers! I did a no-no, I stopped in mid scream. The first coyote kept coming, the second coyote began to check up and stopped. The second was a larger coyote, probably the male of the pairing. When the first coyote realized the second one had stopped it began to quarter to the right, away from the stream bed cover and into the field.
Now is when I also realized things were coming apart. The field had seemed pretty bare just glancing across it, especially with the snow. However, the field was grown up with scattered clumps of tall yellow foxtail and buffalo grasses. Tall enough and yellow enough to make getting on a moving, yellowish colored coyote at 150 yards or so, and at dark, just a bit tricky. Murphy reared up and decided to make a wind switch about this same time and I felt the cold wind hit the back of my neck and side of my face.
Both coyotes were quartering from my left to right, working into the wind. I was struggling to get a shot when I ran out of field. They disapeared into the timber on the right side (straight downwind now) of the field. Yeah, I picked up the call and tried a couple more quiet desperation cries. Nothing. As dark pitched in on me I replayed those two hard chargers and rethought my strategy. It was a cold, dark, joyless hike out of the woods that night.

The next year I was back in the same spot. This time at the crack of dawn on a grey cloudy, cold morning. Yeah, the prevailing winds were just about like the year before. No snow, so visiability was actually worse. Sounds like I'm not so bright huh? You'd think I'd learn my lesson from the year before.

Well.......This time Dad wasn't behind me on the back side of the pond. He was 150 yards above me and to my right, tucked into a brush pile just off the side of the timber. There was a slight roll of ground that lead away from the spring branch and right to his brush pile. He was just slightly higher than the surrounding ground, and he was seated on a standing cedar stump with a crown of brush around him to conceal his outline. Seated like this gave him an excellent view out into the field, branch, and terrain features around him.

I hit the Sceery AP-6 with some bird type distress sounds. After about 3-4 minutes I thought I saw a flash of grey across the field, and seconds later Dad's rifle boomed once. We finished the stand out and after thiry more minutes or so I stood up and began walking across the field to Dad. By the time I got to him he had retrieved his prize, a big old dog coyote with worn down teeth and a great saddle on his pelt. Dad was wearing a nice broad grin.

GC, I picked up on your boo boos easy enough. I've made the same mistakes and I'll more than likely repeat them a few more times myself.Let's see what the children have learned before we point them out.

Ky Fisherman had a favorite stand last winter too. If you could look at the field from an airial map it would look like a big white oak leaf from the sky. This field is the top of the ridge line. It's entirely surrounded by cut over timber. It's a few years old so it's already thick enough to atract attention as a good bedding and feeding area.The old road cuts through the middle of the place and goes straight to the saddle in the ridge top. Straight across the field from there was a thick finger of woods into the field. It's the beggining of a hollow that runs well into the neighboring farm, crossing a creek then going on into another saddle on the next ridge a mile away.

While walking in from another setup KF is asking his usual questions. The wind is doing a full fifteen miles an hour from the north west. We walk on the down wind side to the back of the cove formed by the hollows and woods.Wind is blowing directly out inot the open field we walked in on. I position my son at a large oak where he can cover the back door and take KF to a position out on the finger ridge and dump him in a downed tree top overlooking two deer trails on each side of the hollow. I position myself in the middle between the two shooters against a big oak.

Second series of notes I hear a change in the sound of the leaves made by the wind. It's getting louder so I drop the call and turn off the safety on teh shotgun.Sound is coming down the deer trail 30 yards in front of me. Headed due north.The coyote crosses two openings in front of me making for an easy shot but it's in a hurry to get where it thinks the sound is coming from.I see things might get interesting and hold off. This dog is about to go into KF'S left hip pocket.I put the call back in my mouth and get ready.In seconds the shot goes off and I blow the call as hard and loud as possible to drown out the echo and keep any others coming in. I'm calling again when the second shot goes off. Fifteen minutes later I can't stand the suspense no longer and stand to see KF with a big grin on his face.

Wiht all the talking and noise of three people walking in this stand still worked. Why?

This dog was bedded in the head of the thicket less than 150 yards from where we were positioned. We walked within 80 yards of it at least.The timber is post oak, black jack oak. pin oak, white oak, red oak, black oak and some hickory and cherry thrown in for good measure. I've given the clues you need to figure this one out.KF had a hard time believing the reason we had gotten away with this one so easily. But all he had to do was listen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif There's a calling tactic in here for you too Steve M. Jimmie

I now understand those terrain terms, thanks a bunch. After reading all your posts, I want to get out and go calling so bad I can hardly stand it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GC,
Are you certain that those things are hollows? I have a friend who was raised in West Virginia, and he just swears that those things are HOLLERS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif By the way GC, I loved your above story.

This has got to be the best thread I have ever seen on any predator calling forum. If anyone, and I mean anyone, can't learn something here, he just isn't reading it!

If GC had a decent cougar population where he hunts, he would be an excellent cougar hunter.

Heading for the mountains for a few days. I'll have to wait until I get back to catch up on this thread.

Jimmie explaining how I hunt down wind is not easy.To begin the wind blows like water following the ground it blows in places and other places it does not blow.If the terrian you are hunting is not level then calling down wind is easy if you stand back and take a long look at the land.On a windy days the wind will follow tree lines and skip over low lying ground. The coyote will respond to a call using lowing lying ground from his travel lane.Watch this area when you see the coyote you will have a few seconds to shoot before you are winded.

Most of the time you are ok until the coyote gets to about 150 yards then you will get winded in open country I try to take the coyote at about 200 yards. This is where shooting sticks become important.A 200 yard off handed shot is hard to make on a coyote.

Most of my hunting is close to where I park the truck usually no more than 50 yards away. I set up at the 1st tree off the road.The farther you walk into and area the more noise you make and the more scent you spread.

I set up on a small rise over looking the low land never high on a hill coyotes are uneasy about comming to close if they must climb a large hill sometimes they will but not often.

Most of the middle Tennessee land will have a small gulley out of a hollow into the pasture if it is only a few feet deep the coyote will follow it and show himself for a few seconds before winding the hunter.This is why scouting is so important.I will sometimes spend hours finding gulleys and draws on a few hundred acres of land.Then find a good setup area a few hundred yards away.On land you have hunted for years you will find that coyotes will almost always come from the same direction because of the travel lanes and what look s good to one coyote will look good to all coyotes.Most of the time I will scout after a rain to find the travel lanes.

Trust a yankee to mix things up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Holler is how you comunicate with your neighbor on the other side of the hollow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I liked GC'S story as well. First he told of his mistake then the corrections. A lot of good lessons in that one post.

Several years back I hunted a christmas tree farm. I called it cold the day I scouted it. Found one of the places I have learned to look for, a travel lane, at the back.At that time I hadn't quite put together the idea that the heaviest cover was the bedding grounds. I set up on the back fencerow, in the edge of the thicket, overlooking a creek well grown up with set aside grassy fields down both sides. Plenty fo mice there. I placed the e-caller on a tiny hill a few yards away without being able to see over or around it. I was so engrossed in the feeder field I forgot to check for other aproaches to the call site. I sat there waiting long enough to start getting bored ,about fifteen minutes. A movement at the speakers caught my eye. The coyote stuck it's nose into the speaker and did the disapearing act so fast that all I accomplished was taking off the safety.

It had aproached along a breakline in the cover. A small ditch was over grown with timber with a rise that was covered in small brush and blackberry vines leading straight to that little hill the speakers were on.I'd like to say I corrected the mistake later but lost access due to the property changing hands. It did teach me to spend that minute of extra time to be sure of my set up in the future.Jimmie

Terry, like you I wish there was a easier way to tell folks just how wind works.I also agree that once you find that good calling spot it will work for you many years. Every coyote will work the ground the same way.

I will try to show a downwind set up I use most often. The w's represent the woodsline, f the fencerows and c the calling position, / will represent the scent direction. The woodline will be running north to south , fencerow east to west. Wind would be south ,slightly southwest.You can turn this to match any wind direction and cover position.

w
w
w
w
w
w
w/
wcfffffffffffff

By calling from this posittion I can get the dog to follow the edge of the woods down to me at my position.There can be no other way for the coyote to get out into the field and use a ditch for cover.Everything must be flat to force it to walk down that edge.If it works right I get them at less than fifty yards.The only bad thing about such a set up is you can't depend on the wind to hold steady all the time.Jimmie

I had to get back in this one since it didn't show as typed out the first time.

Terry,
I think that I would get along real good with you while calling. I really like driving as close as I can to the chosen calling stand, so long as I can get my truck hidden.

Jimmie,
You remind me of a friend of mine who lives in texas. One day he was telling me how much fun it was to hunt air heads. He was going on and on, but I just wasn't getting it. How much fun could it be to hunt AIR HEADS for gosh sakes. I finally just came out and asked him "What the heck is an air head?" He just looked sort of puzzled and said "air heads, You know like in Bows and Airs!!!" Texan's and Kaintuckians sure do talk funny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know that in coyote hunting there is no certainties or absolutes but if their would be one coyote hunting rule that should be carved in stone that rule would read “NEVER CALL DOWN WIND.” I sure wish more people would call down wind here in Nebraska because it would leave me with a WHOLE lot more coyotes to work with. Every body has called in and killed a coyote down wind before but that is an exception to the rule and is silly. Gerry Blair once called in a coyote practically to his bootstraps wearing a Santa Claus outfit but I don’t think any predator caller ran out and bought him a suit in light of the event. “When coyotes smell people they leave…. period.” Why do you think they circle down wind in the first place? There are several reasons but at the top of the list is to see what is there and what isn’t. Unless the coyotes family tree looks like a telephone pole he is going to bug out at his first whiff of human sent. There is no one single factor beyond my control that costs me more coyotes than being winded. I have been winded by coyotes at a “ranged “600” yards. This was in high winds as well. The theory that your sent disperse in high winds does not hold water with me. I have seen coyotes wind me at well beyond 3 and 4 hundred yards to many times to even conceder that comment to be true. When you call down wind you are just setting yourself up for a fall plane and simple.

Q-Wagoner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back