Bobcat kill in central TX

hyper- Yeah I know what you mean but Id say its a bobcat after watching my video numerous times. check it out if you havent? I posted a link to it earlier last night.

mouse-haha- its long gone by now, sadly =\ no need to worry about them knocking on / down my door

Weasel- yeah I would agree with that and if you check out that video link i posted earlier ,
all i can see is a short tail

OKRattler- thanks, Ive failed on many stands until I finally got it right

hillbilly1- thanks!

GregW- lol, there arent any teasips in Austin! thanks

spotter- [beeep] yeah man, Texas is cool like that. I'll be doing my fair share no doubt. Pretty neat your in RR because this cat was taken much closer to you than in Austin. off of 1460 overlooking 35 in Georgetown. Maybe we could meet up one day and make a few stands...

I think in Texas, without it being fur season you can kill them for depredation purposes but not do anything with the hide, so it's probably a good move. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Barry

thanks Barry, thats a Very good point you bring up there. Never thought about it like that! It might be too hard to tell from the pics but could anyone guess a weight? I was thinking 30lbs solid.. maybe

21, hmmmm... I thought it was already decided that it is indeed a cat but to each their own I suppose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Did you see the video of it? To me thats what should really drive it home because of the tail and ears

It undoubtedly a bobcat. No worries there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You'd be the best judge of what it would have weighed in at.
30 lbs is a good sized cat for the hill country.

Barry

Grizz here.
Good looking cat. Out here in So cal, it does indeed get cold enough during the winter to where the bobcat fur gets nice and prime and bring real good money. I've called in and shot over 80 bobcats in 30 years of calling here in Ca.
My largest one weigh only 26 pounds. You would think that after killing 80+ cats, The law of averages would have come into play and I would have killed one that went 30 pounds or better! Around here, any cat that weighs over 20 pounds
is a good one. I would say that the average cat here would weigh 18 pounds. I've got one full body mount bobcat that sits on one of my gun safes, this cat weighed 22 pounds. Not my largest but still the best looking cat I've ever killed. As soon as I walked up to it, I knew that I would have it mounted. The White Mountains area of Ca on the east side of the Owens valley I believe holds some really big cats. I'm going to hunt it hard next winter and try to score
on some large cats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Grizz- thanks for the comment. I hope I could call half that many cats!! Must be nice to live in such a nice bobcat habitat and Im sure I do as well its just I havent called any in since that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I actually went out this morning and called/waited for around 1 1/2 hrs and saw nothing. Haha i totally agree that the law of avg. would have done so as well but Bruce said no more than 20 soo... who knows

Bruce- Thanks, Im sure you've shot/ called in more than I can imagine so I wont argue with your guess... I'll just say 25lbs tops lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you know where you threw the carcass go back and get the skull if possible. They make for a great trophy also.
For the record, you live in some of the best bobcat country around. We hunted a ranch down that way this year and called in 8 cats in one day. They all were spotted up like the one you shot.

Scott

Was that a keystone in your video? Good choice in celebration beverages. Very nice cat! If it was prime, you could have gotten a lot of money for that cat.

Very nice bobcat! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif It's too bad that you didn't do anything with the hide. That's okay though, because now you have a reason to get another! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good job!

Awesome cat. I watched your other video on youtube with the coyote kill. How far was that one? It looked far. Same beverage in that video too.

okhunter- Yeah I do know where it is and thanks for telling me, didnt really know a skull was enough but I will check ASAP! Oh wow, 8 cats in 1 day close to me? Thats pretty amazing indeed! yeah, those spots are something else with these Texas cats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bighornboy- haha yes, that was a Keystone but I am a Coors Light man by nature.... its just those stones are cheaper and taste similar enough lol thanks, I believe it was Prime from what i saw/felt after the kill. I wonder how much $$ I couldve gotten for it? ballpark

ArizonaCoyote- thanks, yeah it is too bad but as you said now I know I can go get the next one !!

12Ring - I sure do appreciate it, lol yeah I stepped off that yote to 45yds (Is that even common for a 20 with a lighter load to put one down from out there? I was skeptical seeing as how it was on the run too) Surprised me that the 20g didnt just piss him off. 2 shots wouldve been sufficient imo but Ive heard some badd stories about people losing them in thick country like that so I put another #2 in him to seal the deal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif haha yeah its another stone I was drinking on, I know they say alcohol and guns dont mix but I like to enjoy myself out there and not just be stone cold sober which Im sure a lot of hunters do.

Last edited:
lol maybe.... I shouldnt have said that, I would hate to start an uproar over me being careless / irresponsible even though I personally dont see a problem with it so long as the drinking is in Moderation.

Back