Big Black Cats (Panthers)

Google Search- news article headline reads...(Deputy kills jaguar...or was it a leopard? by Jeff Lehr, The Joplin Globe, Joplin Missouri, May 20, 2008.)

RJM,
A follow-up on that animal was that it was an escaped/released captive leopard, not a wild mountain lion.

Boomy,
Since there is, nor ever was, such an animal native to North America, how could it be on the Endangered Species list? Do some research and show me the listing of "Black Panther" on the Endangered Species list as it applies to the United States. BTW, I thought there was no closed season on mountain lions in Texas? Also, nearly all states allow for the protection of person or stock attacked by an animal. If that is true, then shooting a black mountain lion would carry no more penalty than shooting a brown mountain lion does.

Originally Posted By: R.ShawYou have had calves, llamas,and dogs attacked by anything your imagination could dream up. Get a grip man. You are starting to make the rest of us Missourians look bad.

Well Shaw, come on down.
Not much I say that I can't prove or have verified.

Originally Posted By: GCRJM,
A follow-up on that animal was that it was an escaped/released captive leopard, not a wild mountain lion.

Boomy,
Since there is, nor ever was, such an animal native to North America, how could it be on the Endangered Species list? Do some research and show me the listing of "Black Panther" on the Endangered Species list as it applies to the United States. BTW, I thought there was no closed season on mountain lions in Texas? Also, nearly all states allow for the protection of person or stock attacked by an animal. If that is true, then shooting a black mountain lion would carry no more penalty than shooting a brown mountain lion does.

Didn't say it was wild but nobody knows where it came from.
Might have escaped from 1 of those funky road side zoos that are around the area.
Who knows ?

People dump all sorts of odd things and animals down in the Ozarks.

Originally Posted By: GCRJM,

Boomy,
Small factoid problem Brother- Panthers are native to North America. Both spotted and black can be found in Mexico. Also last year one was caught in AZ if you remember.

On the second point- You are right. If it is a Mountain Lion, Cougar, Puma I am completely legal.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresOriginally Posted By: GCRJM,

Boomy,

Didn't say it was wild but nobody knows where it came from.
Might have escaped from 1 of those funky road side zoos that are around the area.
Who knows ?

People dump all sorts of odd things and animals down in the Ozarks.

Ok, but the argument is that there are wild native “black panthers” in the United States and most assume that to be a mountain lion. Not some escaped or turned out captive non-native critter.

BTW, once while turkey hunting I saw an Emu stroll through the woods. I must have been ten miles from the nearest farm, but sure as shooting there it was. Considering the scope of this thread, maybe I should be telling stories of seeing a prehistoric turkey, the last remnant of its kind left on the planet, but surely native to our continent. LOL… I’m just funning, but I did actually see an Emu in the Mark Twain National Forest miles from the nearest homestead.

I grew up in Sallisaw, Oklahoma near the Ark border and when I was a teen I saw something black, very large, cat like basically leap across an old rural dirt road at night in front of me. I clearly saw it and can vividly remember it. I know what I saw, could it of been the alcohol.....yes, but it wasn't.

I put a couple of dollars under my daughters pillow the other night, and told her the tooth fairy left it, nobody would be able to convince her otherwise, but I know better.

Originally Posted By: cookstaxiGoogle Search- news article headline reads...(Deputy kills jaguar...or was it a leopard? by Jeff Lehr, The Joplin Globe, Joplin Missouri, May 20, 2008.)

Here's a LINK

"A Newton County deputy shot and killed a large, black cat of uncertain species..."
WHY, for cryin' out loud, are there no pictures or no biologists telling us what this thing is?

I like to trot this picture out when this discussion comes up:
blackpuma_1005.jpg

Is it Puma concolor? Is it black, dark, or in the shadow? Real or photoshopped? I don't know. I found it on the 'net, saved it, and have never been able to find it again. I cannot find any photos of other black cougars anywhere- lots and lots of Panthera onca but no black cougars. For as many "sightings" as there are, I'd surely expect to find at least one specimen.

I suppose everyone knows about the jaguarundi, right?
jaguarundi2.jpg

feliyago.jpg

Originally Posted By: GC
BTW, once while turkey hunting I saw an Emu stroll through the woods. I must have been ten miles from the nearest farm, but sure as shooting there it was. Considering the scope of this thread, maybe I should be telling stories of seeing a prehistoric turkey, the last remnant of its kind left on the planet, but surely native to our continent. LOL… I’m just funning, but I did actually see an Emu in the Mark Twain National Forest miles from the nearest homestead.

LOL....... I have kin not far from there. Parents live outside Silva.

I heard a lady talking at a restaurant saying how she had seen a black panther up here in Sugarite Canyon, I laughed under my breath. I was then talking to one of the rangers about 3 months later and brought up the story laughing and he looked me straight in the face and said "I've seen it too". My laughter stopped right there because this guy spends ALOT of time in the woods and is a stand up guy.

Black and white photos are called that for a reason. If that cat is really black then I guess the trees, and grass in the background are white.

Originally Posted By: gonzaga I was then talking to one of the rangers about 3 months later....

And? What did he think it was? How long ago? Does he still work there?

Originally Posted By: cookstaxiBlack and white photos are called that for a reason. If that cat is really black then I guess the trees, and grass in the background are white.

I don't understand your point. Can you clarify?

B/W is called that because of an absence of color. Gray scale is not a problem.

Originally Posted By: BoomyOriginally Posted By: GC

LOL....... I have kin not far from there. Parents live outside Silva.

An emu in Mark Twain wouldn't surprise me a bit.
People are dumping all their unwanted animals there these days.
For awhile it was mainly horses, dogs and house cats.

Silva is about 100 miles east of me.

I don't understand your point. Can you clarify?

B/W is called that because of an absence of color. Gray scale is not a problem.
[/quote]

Absence of color was my point. When looking at B/W photos you can only tell if something is lighter or darker in color, not what color it really is.

Originally Posted By: cookstaxiAbsence of color was my point. When looking at B/W photos you can only tell if something is lighter or darker in color, not what color it really is.

Well, the cougar in the photo is considerably darker than the guy's shirt and comparable to the shadows in the photo, so it looks dark to me. However, as I noted, it certainly could be the shadow of the tree making a normal cat LOOK dark. Dunno. I've spent a lot of time in the darkroom and developed hundreds, if not thousands, of images, but I'm really not a forensic expert by any means.

That's kind of my point with the photo. It's a photo. It's obviously a cat. It looks like a cougar and not a jag. It looks dark but it might very well be normal. Even if it's dark, he might've drug it thru the mud or killed it in a coal mine so that it's fur is stained. We just don't know. So, even given a photo of a dark-looking large cat, we really can't say much about it! To really demonstrate a "black panther" is going to take multiple pictures, at minimum.

Back