Best compact production bolt gun available?

The detachable magazine isn't really a requirement for her. I have a SS 30'06 X-Bolt and just really like the feature.

I like Savage rifles, but want something a little nicer. They are a great rifle, meat and potatoes gun.

I also had a Mdl 7 Whitetail in 300wsm, It made 3 trips back to big green before they fixed a trigger issue. I really want to avoid them if at all possible.

I actually have a Husqvarna Mauser 98 action that came from a stripped rifle, I was saving it to build me a lightweight mountain rifle build in 30'06. I also have a like new Mdl 70 XTR in 308 from the mid to late 70's that won't shoot for nothing. I can't even get handloads to shoot close to MOA. It has a real nice chunk of wood on it, but I was a also planning on building it for me.

The Tikka/Sako and Browning X-Bolt are at the top of the list. I had considered, actually on the fence, just having a NULA or Rifle's Inc. built for her, althought it wouldn't arrive in time for her birthday. I rode the fence a little too long on this, I should have been doing this last year, not a month before her birthday. She completed her Hunter's Education and now can hunt by herself, I just want something she can be proud of. I am leaning towards a wood stocked rifle since she has an AR I built for her using a Harrison Beene barrel if she wants to chase yotes thru the woods at the farm.

Thanks Guys

Savage makes a rifle called the Lady Hunter and it looks pretty interesting. Comes in 243, 260,6.5 creedmore. It will probably be the next rifle i purchase for her.÷

A youth gun is just a shortened mans gun. Women need a womans cut stock to shoot to their full potential. They need the right pitch to accomodate breasts which makes recoil and stability against the shoulder better. The comb needs to be higher because women have high cheek bones. As AubreyD. above says, savage makes the lady hunter. It even has a short grip radious to give them better trigger control with their short fingers. Why they don't make more lady cut shotguns I have no idea. Surprised they make this ladies rifle.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Lady

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660A youth gun is just a shortened mans gun. Women need a womans cut stock to shoot to their full potential. They need the right pitch to accomodate breasts which makes recoil and stability against the shoulder better. The comb needs to be higher because women have high cheek bones.

Wow. Just wow. Hard to make that stuff up.

Somebody better tell Nancy Tompkins, Michelle Gallagher, Shirley McGee, and the rest of the gals who give the men a run for their money every year at Camp Perry this startling revelation in rifle stock history. Let them know they have been shooting wrongly shaped stocks all these years and need one better suited to their breasts and cheekbones (expect a biitch-slap at this point).

Female world record coming up.......
crazy.gif
lol.gif

I have a model 7 in 260 rem and an Abolt micro hunter in another caliber. The abolt is accurate and shoots a variety of ammo more accurately.

I'm a Remy guy all the way but this browning is wearing on me and I really like it. If I had to do over again I would buy the browning in an xbolt.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: TripleDeuce660A youth gun is just a shortened mans gun. Women need a womans cut stock to shoot to their full potential. They need the right pitch to accomodate breasts which makes recoil and stability against the shoulder better. The comb needs to be higher because women have high cheek bones.

Wow. Just wow. Hard to make that stuff up.

Somebody better tell Nancy Tompkins, Michelle Gallagher, Shirley McGee, and the rest of the gals who give the men a run for their money every year at Camp Perry this startling revelation in rifle stock history. Let them know they have been shooting wrongly shaped stocks all these years and need one better suited to their breasts and cheekbones (expect a biitch-slap at this point).

Female world record coming up.......
crazy.gif
lol.gif

Its a funny lookin gal whose boobs get in the way of her shoulder!

What about Asian men with their high cheek bones?

Would this boob stock work well for big fellas with man boobs?

What about gals that don't have much for boobs, do they add material to the stock for extra contact then?

Ohh so many questions.....

For centuries, women have been successfully shooting firearms. And now Savage makes a firearm for women, that answers all their needs??? Man...they dine some good marketing on this'un

You guys obviously are not shotgunners. All savage did is take the geometry of ladies shotgun stocks and apply it to a rifle. Just like wenig makes a ladies cut shotgun stock. I think they know a little bit about it since they custom fit kim rhodes gun. Very little though is given about fit with a rifle for men and women.

Just because women have adapted to using mens firearms does not mean they can't benefit from geometry designed for them. You guys probably don't even know what pitch is. If you did, you would know that they benefit from more pitch then men because their shoulder pocket has a different shape.

Sure, I could shoot a low hogback stock made for irons with a scope on xtra high rings. I can even shoot pretty well with it. Would it be ideal to use this stock design with a scope? No, that is why cz makes a lux and an american. Or I have a straight gripped rifle. Maybe we should all go back to straight grip stocks too since stock geometry really has little to do with shooting a rifle.

Its often not that women are any more recoil sensitive than men. The stock simply does not fit them and therefore it hurts more. Savage has clearly taken this into consideration.

I'm just curious about one thing. If this is such an advancement for women's shooting, why has it not been done before, and why is savage the only folks doing this?

Does this mean that only women should buy a Savage Axis....? (Said tongue in cheek)

If you've ever had a shotgun stocked by someone who knows what he is doing well beyond just screwing on the pieces, a well fitting stock for one man might be far different from a well fitting stock for another man. The same applies to women

And implying that the Savage Axis stock is the result of adapting a woman's shotgun stock to a rifle is pure folly unless you know a woman who has a well fitting in all respects custom shotgun stock designed JUST FOR HER that feels and looks like a Savage Axis stock in dimensions. In that one instance what you are saying might apply. Beyond that you're blowing smoke through mirrors to make a general statement.

Actually, the Savage Lady Hunter does not 'compensate for the female breast.' It is designed wit a slightly higher comb for their typically longer necks. it also has a slimmer palm swell and shorter length of pull. All this, vs a typical hunting stock. It uses a 11/111 barreled actions.

And, as Winny Fan said, there is no comparison between custom shotgun stocks and this factory rifle. It is just marketing. But there are many stock designs that can accomplish the amazing breakthrough in female shooting!

just bought a CZ 527 Carbine in a 7.62x39 for my daughter, I live in WI and don't see me hunting out of state in the future( did all that when I was younger)after shooting this rifle with the open sights I may get one for my self, then some day I may sell off all my other deer rifles 10 of them from 350 rem. mag. down to 6mm. and keep the CZ carbine, daughters boy friend and I shot it today with cheap Russian ammo he was hitting a 6" round dinger almost every shot kneeling I hit 8 by 12" steel target 4 out of 5 standing 50 yds. had it for 2 weeks and haven't had it to the range to shoot it off a bench yet! Going to mount a 1-5x Burris on it when I get my Warne Q-detach rings. What I like about it, light weight, removable mag. cheap practice ammo, adjustable trigger, set trigger for bench shooting, wood and blued steel, CZ quality. This would be all I need if I only hunt WI carries like a rimfire, almost the same power as a 30-30, I know there are more powerful rounds, but for deer out to 150 yds will work fine for me. Plus practice ammo for less than $5 cant find rimfire heck this could become my plinking gun till 22 starts showing up again!

Originally Posted By: 50vmaxshooterOriginally Posted By: kymailman98Remington Model 7 is the best production compact rifle there is........period.

+1

I own three Model 7's, and I'd probably agree with that assessment if I didn't also own several Kimber 84M's in Montana, Classic, and Classic Select configurations.

Well, I poured over this over the weekend. I called my FFL and he asked me if I was interested in a Cooper Model 54 Jackson Game in 257 Roberts. I had to google them and call him back. He told me I could get the rifle for about $2200. He ordered it for a customer and they are getting cold feet on the deal. I think this is the route I will take.

I fit shotguns, have the saw, fixtures and jigs, so I am fully aware of the pitch problems with women and barrel chested men. I am prepared to cut the stock when it arrives, but not before I get a chance to run a few rounds thru it.

I wasn't looking at the 257 Roberts, it is an overlooked caliber. I have a Winchester 70 in the caliber, but it just doesn't get out much. I really like a 243 for pretty much everything we shoot around here.

Thanks guys, lots of great recommendations here.

I'd take a hard look at the Weatherby Vanguards. I have a .30-06 deluxe and a .223 carbine with a 20" light barrel. They offer it in a .243 and have several youth models with adjustable stock spacers. They weigh about 6.5 lbs, balance very well, have adjustable triggers, aftermarket stocks/detachable magazines and are very high quality. The fit and finish on them is great and the action is very smooth. They are all guaranteed SUB-MOA as well, for around $600-$800.

Back