Best compact production bolt gun available?

d2admin

Administrator
I am wanting to buy my daughter a new rifle. She has been shooting a custom 243 H&R that is cut down to fit her. It has had quite a bit of work done to it. The trigger breaks at 3 1/4 lbs, shoots moa with factory ammo, sub-moa with hand loads and she shoots it really well. She is small 5'2" and 102lbs. I want something that will last her a lifetime. I want something that she can buy off the shelf ammo and still have moa/sub moa accuracy.

I am not loyal to any one brand. I would like something in 243 up to a 308 that has both synthetic, laminate and wood stocks available, 20" or 22" barrel, detatchable magazine and an adjustable trigger.

Deer, pigs, yotes, antelope and the occasional goat.

Thanks Darryle

I would say River American but it does not have the stock options you listed.(No wood or laminate options.) However they do have a compact model. Other than that price wise I'd look into Savage. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Orphanedcowboy

I am not loyal to any one brand. I would like something in 243 up to a 308 that has both synthetic, laminate and wood stocks available, 20" or 22" barrel, detatchable magazine and an adjustable trigger.

Thanks Darryle

You could just buy her the savage now and save all of us the trouble of trying to talk you into something else.

Seriously though..
You may not be brand loyal but with those constraints your severely limiting your choices. If you drop the detachable mag from that list your choices will multiply by many times over and give you some very nice rifles to choose from.

You never mentioned a budget either.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeBuild it.

+1

Tons of stock options if you build one for her. Might as well make it fit perfectly.

Browning X Bolt has all you can asked for, including now the detachable clip and adjustable trigger. I just bought one in 243. Their strong suit is their ability to shoot the off the shelf ammo. The X Bolt Micro Hunter is what you are looking for. Comes in 308 as well.

I admit I am a loyal Browning fan, but there are many reasons for that sitting in my gunsafe.

Originally Posted By: kymailman98Remington Model 7 is the best production compact rifle there is........period.

I like the Model 7 plenty. And a Remington youth model (they make a youth stock that can be changed later) would be my recommendation. Another 243 would work for said critters.

That said, the Sako Finnlight is the best compact factory bolt gun made IMO........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunThat said, the Sako Finnlight is the best compact factory bolt gun made IMO........

You most certainly have a point there, but they can be a little hard to find, and costly to boot.

Yes, and truth is, I prefer the 75 over the 85. The 75 is even harder to find and no longer made.

He did say "best" though.....

My daughter has a Weatherby Vanguard S2 Youth in .243 which I think is pretty awesome but it does not have a detachable magazine.

Back