best black bear caliber for a youth

>257 R vs. .243.... hmmm .257R has bigger diameter, heavier weight and more case capacity... Now, not by much... But, that is all the answer anyone should need... Since I handload... oh well...it is what it is

You might look at the 284win I have one I hunt with and it will dump elk with no problem using 162grn Hornady SST. So it should do the same on a black bear.

If he's confident in his 20 gauge buy him a rifled slug barrel and some Remington accutips. The 3" version has more energy than a 45-70 govt...and the huge hole it will make going in and out should leave a good blood trail.

Last edited:
At that they are tougher than you might think,I would say he's probably willing to shoot whatever you give him the chance too,wouldn't you when you were a kid

Quarter bore fans crack me up. Step down to 6mm and you get higher BCs and SDs. Step up to 6.5 mm and you get the same.

Then they love to compare their longer .257 cartridges to shorter 6mm cartridges. But choose to not campare them to the slightly larger 6.5mms at all.

Compare 6mm/.257 bullets of same weight using same case. Factor in BC, SD, and velocity. Then get back with me. Or how about the 6.5-06 or 6.5x284 vs. the 25-06 with heavier bullets?

.25s are DOGS. So are .277s when compared to 6.5s or 7mms. That's just the way it is. No magic, just math. Not my opinion, fact. Lower BC and lower SDs.

I readily admit that for what most are used for, it really don't matter. But don't start making the quarter bores out to be something they aren't. They do not fly better, and they do not penetrate better.

Anyhoo, I see another thread on this as been started so I'll refrain from further comment on that here. Even though I really haven't anything else to say on the subject anyway.

Back to our scheduled program........

Originally Posted By: coloradocatAt that they are tougher than you might think,I would say he's probably willing to shoot whatever you give him the chance too,wouldn't you when you were a kid
Regardless of the caliber he chooses, bullet placement is vital. Practice, practice, and more practice will give him the confidence to have a successful hunt. I have worked and lived in bear country most of my life. Do not underestimate the bruin.

If you are hunting over bait I would agree that slugs are a good choice. If you are looking at a centerfire rifle I would trade bullet diameter for velocity, i.e., a .35 remington is better than a .243. (Sure a .243 can kill black bears but just as a .22 can kill deer that doesnt make it a deer rifle.) No matter what caliber you choose you should use premium bullets with high sectional densities (those that are heavy for the caliber... 160-175 grains in 7mm, 200 grains in .30, 250 grains in .338, etc.) Remember, calibers don't kill, bullets do.

10 pages of guns, rounds, calibers, bullets & it's hardly gonna matter. It all comes down to where that bullet is placed. Yes, some bullets are better than others, hardly enough to trump placement. JMHO

Back