Bering Optics Phenom: 12 µm 640 Scanner

Originally Posted By: varminter .223So if these having an internal battery are you just done after 6 hours or do they have a set up to charge in between stands in the vehicle. . They allow for a 5V external battery pack just like the Hogsters if a person wants to use one. You could charge in between stands or connect it the entire time. I can show pictures of my setup soon. I’m hunting right now.

Bering Optics has also told me they are working on a battery pack that will slip around the outside of the thermal. I have not seen anything yet but that would be a nice option for people as well.

Originally Posted By: KirschMore images from the Phenom.

Phenom_coy1.jpg

Phenom_coy2.jpg

Phenom_coy3.jpg

Can I ask a favor? Can you get another picture with the bottom pic but zoomed out a little more? I want it as wallpaper.

Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2When I used my Pulsar Axion, I stuck some velcro to the side and used an Anker pack. It added weight, but it would last all night. Great idea. My only concern with that idea would be it would throw the weight off-center. Here is what I did for mine. This is not an item for sale at Night Goggles and is my own McGyvering. I glued an Arca-Swiss make and female to each end of a battery pack and then connected it to an Arca-Swiss plate that I connected to my selfie-stick. In total, this is a combination of 2 sets of Arca Swiss make and females. It may not be the prettiest thing in the world, but it works. I can disconnect it from the selfie stick or the battery in about 2 seconds. Where there is a will there is a way.

Phenom1.jpg

Phenom2.jpg

Phenom3.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2Can I ask a favor? Can you get another picture with the bottom pic but zoomed out a little more? I want it as wallpaper. This image was never zoomed or cropped. There is no way to un-zoom it. The coyote has been dead for a long time and won't glow anymore
blush.gif

However, what I did that might help is made a new image that was bigger than the original. I matched the background color to the color of the Phenom image and pasted the smaller image inside. It is faking the idea of it being more zoomed out. Let me know if this is what you had in mind.

Click this Link to access.

Here is what it looks like.

Coyote_Wallpaper.jpg

Dear American night hunter friends,unfortunately I have not written to you before, because I was shock and psychologically destroy by the very serious accident that my cousin, who died instantly, had with the ultralight plane. He was a 52-year-old, good, polite, kind, nice guy who didn't deserve to die this way. It is a great tragedy for our family.

The video made by Kirsch in this post is beautiful. SH and Phenom are an exceptional couple. We hope that they will soon arrive on sale in Europe as well. In the video on the left side with the Super Hogster between the second 49 and 67, a little below the red dot, it seems to see a dead pixel. But it could also be just a flaw in the recording. Can the dead pixels be repaired if necessary?

Ernest, sorry to hear about your cousin..

Korey that is a neat idea with the selfie stick.. I got a tracking number for my Phenom, it looks like it will be here Tuesday
thumbup.gif

Korey, received my Phenom last week. The images produced are really nice. My main concern going to thermal, was not being able to positively ID the animals ( domestic dog VS coyote, farm cat VS bobcat...etc). I tested the phenom when my neighbor was walking her lab. You could clearly see it was a domestic dog. The definition is very clear and beyond what I was expecting. So far it looks like a winner. Thanks for your guidance and pointing me in the right direction.

Originally Posted By: stickbow_hunterKorey, received my Phenom last week. The images produced are really nice. My main concern going to thermal, was not being able to positively ID the animals ( domestic dog VS coyote, farm cat VS bobcat...etc). I tested the phenom when my neighbor was walking her lab. You could clearly see it was a domestic dog. The definition is very clear and beyond what I was expecting. So far it looks like a winner. Thanks for your guidance and pointing me in the right direction.

Glad to hear the Phenom is working out for you stick. I've recently gone to thermal and have/had the same concerns ref ID. It would be a lot of work for someone to do, but showing some thermal images comparing domestic dogs vs. coyotes would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Burnsome...It would be a lot of work for someone to do, but showing some thermal images comparing domestic dogs vs. coyotes would be very helpful. The biggest issue is what you see on the recording isn't going to be the same as what you see through the eyepiece as far as quality. I am not a thermal snob saying a person needs 640 res to hunt coyotes. However, I will say the Phenom has a great combination of fantastic image, with a large 35mm lens, and enough magnification to help in the situation you describe. Why it helps is you can start to pick out details like the shape of the ears, how bushy the tail is, etc. It isn't just a heat blob.

Any person when they get coyote fever could still make a mistake, but this could happen with a 10K Trijicon. The Phenom's image is the best thermal I have looked through that runs less than $6,000 to date.

Originally Posted By: stickbow_hunterKorey, received my Phenom last week. The images produced are really nice. My main concern going to thermal, was not being able to positively ID the animals ( domestic dog VS coyote, farm cat VS bobcat...etc). I tested the phenom when my neighbor was walking her lab. You could clearly see it was a domestic dog. The definition is very clear and beyond what I was expecting. So far it looks like a winner. Thanks for your guidance and pointing me in the right direction. Glad I could help. I only recommend thermals that I want to use myself. Using the Phenom is an absolute treat. I am so glad to have it as part of my coyote hunting tandem.

I got mine in today. The SH and the Phenom are my first night hunting purchases. I was super impressed with what the Super's picture. Then I got the Phenom in... Wow. If Bering comes out with a comparable scope at a reasonable price it will be purchased. This thing is awesome.

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89I got mine in today. The SH and the Phenom are my first night hunting purchases. I was super impressed with what the Super's picture. Then I got the Phenom in... Wow. If Bering comes out with a comparable scope at a reasonable price it will be purchased. This thing is awesome. Glad you like it. The image is truly spectacular. The White hot with the Sun icon is my favorite for scanning. The white-hot mode with the Bird icon works very well in super high humidity or fog.

Thats one thing I havent figured out. I. Hanged it from bird to night, but cant figure out how to change those back around. Will have to read the manual tonight.

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89I got mine in today. The SH and the Phenom are my first night hunting purchases. I was super impressed with what the Super's picture. Then I got the Phenom in... Wow. If Bering comes out with a comparable scope at a reasonable price it will be purchased. This thing is awesome.

I have the exact setup and my opinion is the same.. The picture on the Phenom is nothing short of amazing..

Corey,
What is the eye relief on these? I wear glasses and struggle to find a scanner that will allow me to see the complete screen. Right now I'm using the Pulsar Trail XQ38 rifle scope as a scanner and it works great. I would like something a little smaller and lighter.

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GkrepsWhat is the eye relief on these? I wear glasses and struggle to find a scanner that will allow me to see the complete screen. Right now I'm using the Pulsar Trail XQ38 rifle scope as a scanner and it works great. I would like something a little smaller and lighter. The eye relief is only 14mm on a Phenom which is similar to the Pulsar Helions. If you want something similar to the Trail XQ38 but smaller and lighter, I would go to the Hogster 25 or 35. It just depends on how much FOV and mag you want. A chart below compares them all. The eye relief on the Hogsters is 40mm vs 14mm on the Phenom.

bering_comp.jpg

This image shows a Hogster 35 next to a Helion which is considerably smaller than your Trail. I would potentially remove the eyecup when using the Hogster as a scanner, and you will have tons of eye relief and should be able to see the entire screen. You can also turn off the reticle on the Hogsters to optimize your viewing screen.

helion_hogster.jpg

Back